• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quick tip for Chrome users on boards display

12 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Hey guys,

I was thinking about the varying preferences on display sizes for the boards. We've offered three different themes and the ability to customize the width of the display using the pencil icon at the top; however, preferences vary more than to three types.

In Chrome on desktop (and most any browser) you can zoom a web page in and out by using cntrl + and cntrl -. This would let you adjust the web page to a size / zoom level of your preference, effecting everything on the page. The PROBLEM with this is, it also affects all of your tabs and any web page you view, which may not be preferable. Just because you'd like to see web site #1 smaller, doesn't mean you want every web site smaller.

Option: A plugin for Chrome

I haven't messed with this extensively, so this is more like a heads-up to try it than a solid recommendation, BUT -- there is a plugin that will allow you to specify a browser zoom level (either pull page or just text) by the domain name / URL of the page you are viewing. It's called Zoom Page WE.

IDEALLY you would be able to make a rule to zoom only the boards - but right now it seems it's either one specific URL, OR the whole domain (meaning the boards and the main CGC website). But still, it might be handy.

Arch if you click on the three dots in the upper right in chrome you can expand just the tab you are viewing and it does not effect your other tabs.  ctrl + is for chumps.

8 minutes ago, kav said:

Arch if you click on the three dots in the upper right in chrome you can expand just the tab you are viewing and it does not effect your other tabs.  ctrl + is for chumps.

I didn't know that Kav. I just tried it and it works on just the tab as you say. You don't fancy a job on the Admin team do you?

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, kav said:

But it doesn't remember that the next time you visit the website on another tab, or after closing/re-opening your browser. But the plugin will.

4 minutes ago, Architecht said:
23 minutes ago, kav said:

But it doesn't remember that the next time you visit the website on another tab, or after closing/re-opening your browser. But the plugin will.

Sorry @kav, turns out that vacancy I mentioned earlier has been filled. 

1 hour ago, Architecht said:

@Architecht

But I never close my browser or tabs :baiting:

16 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

16 hours ago, Architecht said:
16 hours ago, kav said:

...But it does.  I use the Customization control (3 vertical dots) to zoom the CGC board to 110%.  It does not affect my other tabs.  It does not affect other websites I visit using the "same" tab.  And it does "remember" the setting, even when I close the Chrome browser completely and reopen at a later time, and even after I power down the system and bring Windows and open Chrome back up.

At least, that's my experience.  (And I just tried all those instances before composing this post, to be sure).

2 minutes ago, Unca Ben said:
16 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

16 hours ago, Architecht said:
17 hours ago, kav said:

...But it does.  I use the Customization control (3 vertical dots) to zoom the CGC board to 110%.  It does not affect my other tabs.  It does not affect other websites I visit using the "same" tab.  And it does "remember" the setting, even when I close the Chrome browser completely and reopen at a later time, and even after I power down the system and bring Windows and open Chrome back up.

At least, that's my experience.  (And I just tried all those instances before composing this post, to be sure).

@kav I've sacked the last IT recruit and you're now back in the running. If anyone else adds new info which again disprove's your Chrome claims you're out.

18 hours ago, Architecht said:

Hey guys,

I was thinking about the varying preferences on display sizes for the boards. We've offered three different themes and the ability to customize the width of the display using the pencil icon at the top; however, preferences vary more than to three types.

In Chrome on desktop (and most any browser) you can zoom a web page in and out by using cntrl + and cntrl -. This would let you adjust the web page to a size / zoom level of your preference, effecting everything on the page. The PROBLEM with this is, it also affects all of your tabs and any web page you view, which may not be preferable. Just because you'd like to see web site #1 smaller, doesn't mean you want every web site smaller.

Option: A plugin for Chrome

I haven't messed with this extensively, so this is more like a heads-up to try it than a solid recommendation, BUT -- there is a plugin that will allow you to specify a browser zoom level (either pull page or just text) by the domain name / URL of the page you are viewing. It's called Zoom Page WE.

IDEALLY you would be able to make a rule to zoom only the boards - but right now it seems it's either one specific URL, OR the whole domain (meaning the boards and the main CGC website). But still, it might be handy.

I like this. I've been playing with it since yesterday. Thanks!