• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Appearance of The Eternals?
2 2

28 posts in this topic

First Appearance of The Eternals?

Can anyone confirm the first appearance of The Eternals? CGC shows The Eternals #1 as their first appearance, so does Overstreet (#45). CGC also shows Fantastic Four 115 as an Eternals appearance. Someone else shows FF 115 as the first appearance and origin of the Eternals. Are they the even the same Eternals? I don't think I've read FF 115, or it's been 35+ years if I have.

The ones in FF are aliens, whereas Kirby's Eternals are earthborn.  Very different, and no mention of The Celestials.  Given how long the ones in FF had existed, they would've been visited by several Celestial Hosts, so unlikely they're the same.  Coincidental naming, just like the obscure Punisher robot in FF, and the much more famous character.

Eternals 1 for me.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 minute ago, Readcomix said:

Apparently, there was a silver age Hulk foe named the Nightcrawler.....when the new X-Men caught on, that vexed me for a while the same way!

we all start somewhere! I remember having trouble with Bob Kane / Gil Kane and Ernie Colon / Gene Colan. My mind reels at the innocence of my youth!

Makkari, the Eternal super-speedster, was retconned as being Hurricane , whose first appearance was in Simon and Kirby's Golden Age Captain America Comics 1.

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

Makkari, the Eternal super-speedster, was retconned as being Hurricane , whose first appearance was in Simon and Kirby's Golden Age Captain America Comics 1.

I think they retconned Makkari even further back than that -- to "Mercury" (also by Simon and Kirby), who first appeared--as a Marvel character at least--in Red Raven Comics #1.

3 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I think they retconned Makkari even further back than that -- to "Mercury" (also by Simon and Kirby), who first appeared--as a Marvel character at least--in Red Raven Comics #1.

Aww, you two! I thought I had this down. Now there is just more to be confused about!

On 4/17/2017 at 2:22 PM, Ken Aldred said:

The ones in FF are aliens, whereas Kirby's Eternals are earthborn.  Very different, and no mention of The Celestials.  Given how long the ones in FF had existed, they would've been visited by several Celestial Hosts, so unlikely they're the same.  Coincidental naming, just like the obscure Punisher robot in FF, and the much more famous character.

Eternals 1 for me.

Or BULLSEYE from NICK FURY OF SHIELD.

They were, indeed "Eternals" in Fantastic Four.
But of course, Kirby idea was yet to come. At some point, by retroactive continuity, it was revealed they were indeed connected to Celestial's experimentation on races, in a similar way invented by Kirby when he described earth:
From Marvel Wikia:
«Millenia ago, the Celestials visited the planet Eyung, and manipulated its inhabitants, the Eyungs, into three branch: the Eternals, the Deviants and the Latents.»

Also fom Marvel Wikia:
• This race was initially referred as "Eternals", without any connection with the Eternals of Earth.
•• That homonymy was highlighted by a note in Defenders #112 and #113, referring to the Eternals appeared in Thor.
•• They were later renamed "Eternians" in Over-Mind's entry in Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe #8, presumably to avoid confusion between the Eternals of Eyung and those of Earth.
•• They were once more renamed "Eternals of Eyung" in Quasar #15 and #16
•• They were also named Eyungs, which is the name the species manipulated by the Celestials.
•• Similarly, their world was originally unnamed. The planet was named "Eternus" in Over-Mind's entry in Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe #8, and then "Eyung" in Quasar #15 and #16 (where it was also named "Eyungia").

So, basically, it‘s not much relevant in terms of speculation as it is retroactive continuity (well done, but indeed retroactive).
The Eternals per se are "retroactive" continuity within the Marvel world: I have doubts on whether Kirby thought to set the storyline truly within the Marvel universe, when he did the series (even if there is a robotic Hulk at some point). It has been the Celestials saga in Thor that posed the question, as ancient mythology deities like the Greek ones (which Kirby "superimposed" on some Eternals as ancient aliases) troubled Thor about their nature as "demi-gods" (like the Asgardians).

On 19/4/2017 at 10:43 PM, electricprune said:

Ha! So true.

Strictly speaking… I’d say no.

The Eternals were heavily based on the idea of "people which always existed" and rooted in pagan ancient mythologies with colorful explanations. They also provide room for Kirby’s fascination with cosmologic theories, biologic "engineery" (see the DNAliens et al. in Jimmy Olsen for a more apt comparision).

The New Gods are quintessentially biblical, up to word puns ("Apokolips", "New Genesis", "Highfather", "Bernadeth" of the "Female furies", etc.) and influenced by classical greek theatre in their comedy/tragedy juxtaposition. Which is entirely absent in the Eternals, that are, at least at the beginning, very "apocalyptic" and darn serious, with a continuous sense of impending doom.