• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sun Fade or printing error?
1 1

42 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Pontoon said:

That bottom quarter is pretty toasty, which is what you'd expect from a book that has been getting hit from a light source like the sun over time.

Yeah, inclined to think sun fade now.

36 minutes ago, F For Fake said:
1 hour ago, Pontoon said:

That bottom quarter is pretty toasty, which is what you'd expect from a book that has been getting hit from a light source like the sun over time.

Yeah, inclined to think sun fade now.

Me too. It is pretty toasty.

2 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

My fading wasn't as bad as yours.

1.jpg.a7e3d8c39462bc993bf76e4ebe5a1738.jpg2.jpg.da903ec4b0c77fa32f4604203f2776f5.jpg3.thumb.jpg.65e5a6f76b34cb8514944b2f2d3ac676.jpg

XM105f_zps0667398e.jpg

Im assuming they go easier on the grade if the book is only faded in certain areas and certain colors right?

3 hours ago, grayzr said:

I want to but I do not want a green label nor am I interested if the book comes back in a 4.0

Just leave the green label in the sun so that the yellow on it fades and leaves behind a nice, pretty blue label. Problem solved!

:jokealert:

7 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:
7 hours ago, Pontoon said:

It's a sun fade on the exposed portion of the book. Different colors fade at different rates; red is first, blue is the last to go. A printing error would result in a loss of red across the entire cover.

This is my line of thinking also.   Selective sun fade based on exposure.

Yup. There is no red on the bottom half of the back cover to check but I'm also betting sun fade.

You can make out the letters in the yellow circle. They're just faded.

20 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Yup. There is no red on the bottom half of the back cover to check but I'm also betting sun fade.

You can make out the letters in the yellow circle. They're just faded.

At this point I am also leaning on it being sun fade. But is it also possible that the red ink started to run out?

I know it's a stretch but it is possible.

Red ink loss is tricky.  I used to think the bottom one was a printing error, but looking at the changing whites of the gas cloud makes fading more likely.

Surfer13Bcgc.jpg

SS13sale.jpg

Edited by namisgr

It's a printing error because the red ink fountain was running dry and those copies should have been thrown out,but somehow still got saved and shipped. They didn't have automatic ink levers back in those days, ink fountains were filled by hand. It's not a sun fade because all the other colors are there.  "Human Printing Error" :)  

On 4/18/2017 at 10:59 PM, namisgr said:

Red ink loss is tricky.  I used to think the bottom one was a printing error, but looking at the changing whites of the gas cloud makes fading more likely.

Surfer13Bcgc.jpg

SS13sale.jpg

It's another printing error because all the other colors are not washed out.  Again, no red ink..