• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sun Fade or printing error?
1 1

42 posts in this topic

Got this book a few weeks ago with what appears to be either sun fade or an absence of reds from the bottom cover. Not sure what is going because the other colors don't seem to be faded also had me wanted to ask the question.

How do you tell the difference between sun fade and printing errors?

Here is the book

unnamed.jpg

Edited by grayzr

thats what I was thinking too. The way the colors are messed up does not seem to be faded. Usually I can easily tell when a color is just faded but this one is beyond me.

I showed it to another experienced local dealer and he said it looks like some kind of printing error.

That cannot be sun fade. The red from the circular text box is gone. The woman's dress isn't red anymore but the shoes remain yellow. Even the ground is yellow

Edited by Jerkfro

Just now, Jerkfro said:

That cannot be sun fade. The red from the circular text box is gone. The woman's dress isn't red anymore but the shoes remain yellow

That reminds me, I should post a picture of what is should look like for those who have never seen the cover.

The shadowing on Moon Knight's leg is still dark black. The trash can is also still dark blue with black shadowing from where it begins on the middle of the cover and to the end of it near the bottom of the cover. If it was a fade, everything on the bottom part of the cover would have an even fade. 

It's a pretty cool printing error! Hope you keep it.

Edited by deadleg

9 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

It's a sun fade on the exposed portion of the book. Different colors fade at different rates; red is first, blue is the last to go. A printing error would result in a loss of red across the entire cover.

This is my line of thinking also.   Selective sun fade based on exposure.

58e8dd5fb4f4b_WWBN32.thumb.jpg.fba3e71d82d51654f69db5c7aeceac9d.jpg  unnamed.jpg

Tricky one. I used to collect printing errors (see 'CELEBRATE THE MANUFACTURING ERRORS' for a few of them). I've seen printing errors where one colour is missing from only part of the book but usually because either something got in the way, or the ink run low. It's really difficult without having the book in hand, but my instinct is saying colour fade. The book has probably been displayed somewhere where the light has struck only the lower part of the book, hence no distinctly visible red colour interruption line.

Either way, a cracking book :headbang:

Tough call, the if it's fading, the other colors are still so punchy. Any chance of seeing the back cover?