• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Last Issues of GA Series- Post 'Em

23 posts in this topic

Thought it might be fun to have a thread where people can post images of the last issues of long-running GA titles. I find final issues interesting, not only to see how titles changed over time, but also to witness what desperate publishers often tried to rescue failing titles. I'll start with these two from my Lev Gleason collection:

cap_74.jpg

dd_134.jpg

Looks like Charles Biro wasn't going to let the code stop him from drawing 'burial" covers - a pre-code specialty of his.

That last issue of C&P is a definite WTF? cover. Cool posts.

Any excuse to show one of the babes-in-space issues of Startling:

s_53.jpg

Startling started off with ten or so issues of Captain Future, then switched to the Fighting Yank and Pyroman, then switched again for the last 10 issues to a science fiction theme. But you gotta love these "Xela" airbrush covers. Wowza.

gozer

------------------------

The only monster on this bus is a lack of proper respect for the rules.

I love how the guy(s) are coved completely except their faces and the girls are ninty percent naked on the sci-fi outer-space covers.

Did those female issue spacesuits pass the safty inspection?

poke2.gif

Hey Norinn!

How about Cap 76, 77 and 78? Do the Atlas logo and 3 or 4 year space between 75 and 76 impact your decidion? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

OK - ANYONE have an opinion on this? I tend to see 76-78 as a continuation, especially since one of my way over-priced grails (75) doesn't even have Cap in either cover or story.

But it is still an intereting question - from a Timely (or in the case of 75 a pseudo-Timely) to true Atlas. Would really be interested in other opinions.

As the Atlas revival picked up the Timely numbering on the solo titles and the stories in YM#24 give at least a nod to GA continuity, I consider them a continuation - 4 years is a pretty short period of time, and there were no doubt more than a few comic buyers at the time who readily recalled the GA adventures of Cap, Torch and Subby.

Still at the time (1949) the last "Timely" issues of those titles would clearly have been considered last issues - so I have no problem with them being included in this thread. Especially as the numbering of the GA Human Torch and Sub-Mariner books were inherited by other titles before being reclaimed 4 years later.

Silver Surfer:

Looks like a sharp copy! I love GA with really clean edges and sharp corners

I don't think anyone would put that cover on a comic these days, however... what city is that supposed to be?!?

Silver Surfer:

Looks like a sharp copy! I love GA with really clean edges and sharp corners

I don't think anyone would put that cover on a comic these days, however... what city is that supposed to be?!?

My guess is New York? I'll let you know when I read it. grin.gif