• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wal-Mart has new three packs with 20 year old Comics

18 posts in this topic

I go in Wal-Mart this past week and end up in the toy section. (How did that happen?) On a j-peg (retail word for hooky, hangy thing on an encap of an aisle) I see three packs. Just like the good old days.

Sorry I don't have access to my camera right now, but to describe: Both Marvel and DC comics, from the 80-90's. Big Titles coupled with lesser titles, no standout issues.

I bought a Spidey 3 pack. Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man 92 (July, 1984, 21 years old!!), Spectacular Spider-Man Annual 9, 1989, and the middle comic is confirmed by me as a Spec 114 from 1986. I got the original that I thought it was and compared the 1/64 of the left cover that I could see.)

All in all, $10.00 worth of comics according to OS 35, so in reality, about a buck a book.

The bag is a shrink wrap, so very little wiggle room. There is an attatched plastic hanger to hang to the j-peg. There are two stickers. One is a red, round one that says, on three lines "3/Comic Books/$2.97" On the other side, a very generic bar code without a publisher, store or any other information. It just says "3-pack Comic Books and the bar code is 7-28192-22434-8" There is no logo or brand. Just the comics.

But, how cool that I bought twenty year old books from Wal-Mart this past week?

do they look like 20 year old packages someone found in a basement? Or newly shrink wrapped pieces?

Toys R Us in Canada has 30 comic packs for about $20

Look like new packaging

If these packs contained 1970s comics, this would be a considerable development (greggy and Sterling would be off hunting pacs at any Walmart within a 300 mile radius).

It's still interesting however, and does make me wonder how deep their supply is of these books.

do they look like 20 year old packages someone found in a basement? Or newly shrink wrapped pieces?

Toys R Us in Canada has 30 comic packs for about $20

Look like new packaging

Yes, but the TRU packs are mostly 90's books, and certainly not a 1984 or 1986 book.

Yes, they are absolutely new packs, which causes one to stop. Where have these books been all this time and why now?
There are probably multiple wherehouses across the nation filled with post-1975 books sumo.gif Which is why none of these books should be worth their cover price, except for limited production runs. I wouldn't be surprised if Chuckie's got two or three thousand copies of Daredevil #168 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

I think Toys 'R Us in Canada got their overstock when the Andromeda Distributorship warehouse in MB dumped 100s of long boxes: all the Image, Valiant, chrome covers, bad girls, b/w implosion u could dream of.

You have to remember somebody packed these up that probably (certainly) knows comics.
screwy.gif I doubt it.

If you really think you stand a chance at getting a good value book out of those then go buy a bunch.

What are the odd's that someone who doesn't know a thing about comics, is going to come into a bunch of comics, that are sold to him/her by someone who doesn't know anything about comics. Then, that person not knowing about comics, is going to pack up little 3 packs, and then contact Walmart and other stores to sell them. All the while, not knowing anything about them.

Oh yeah, that happens all the time. screwy.gif

I've seen a few packages at Hastings. But they are old packages as well. The things look like they were lost in the back room for 15 years, and the books inside the packages aren't in great shape either.

Other than that, the only book packs I've seen at Walmart are Transformers: Energon.

when these things were selling 10 or whatever years ago i'd hear (or read, i forget) about someone finding an x-men 266 or whatever mixed in there, so I wonder how well these were picked through.

And I can't think of any right now, but if these were packaged ten years ago, maybe something that was considere worthless then sells for a premium now. There must be something marvel or dc put out in the 80s that fits that description.

If these packs contained 1970s comics, this would be a considerable development (greggy and Sterling would be off hunting pacs at any Walmart within a 300 mile radius).

acclaim.gif

Going to Wal-Mart this weekend!