• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

House of Secrets Questions

20 posts in this topic

I've decided I'd like to collect House of Secrets 81-154. I'm somewhat new to the whole cgc thing, so I have a few questions if you guys would be so kind.

9.0-9.2 seems like a good grade for me, I'm fine with that level of quality, and financially it's more affordable for me. Is this a wise choice? Are 9.0-9.2s considered common or not investment worthy levels on this title?

Also, I'd like the books I purchase to have at least Off White pages, I've seen a few 9.4+ that looked nice but had Cream pages. Once again, what do you guys look for in page quality?

I'm not doing this as a monetary investment, I'd just like to collect them, but at the same time I don't want to overspend for books that may turn out to be fairly common down the road.

Any help/advice you can give is appreciated. grin.gif

Being a fan of House of Secrets, 9.0-9.2 are pretty reasonable grades for that run of books. This series was not really collected that much , and you might have a hard time completing it in the grades you wanted. Anything 9.4 will cost you a pretty penny, and a lot of the books are not even on the CGC census, so Good Luck on your quest.

Hello, you weren't specific about if you were looking to buy CGC graded or raw (unslabbed) issues. Personally, if going for the 9.0s or 9.2s I'd stick with the raw books. Especially if you are not interested in them as investments. Be careful buying them on Ebay. If you want the 9.0/9.2 I'd assume the books advertised as 9.4 would actually be the 9.0/9.2s you want as many (not all) Ebay dealers tend to overgrade. Large comic cons (San Diego/Philly/Chicago/Wondercon) are optimum for selection. Plus many of us dudes around here may have some for sale (including myself later in the year). Welcome to the club and please join us above in the Infinite Bronze horror thread.

Also, don't ask us what is a "wise choice" as only you know what is best for you. Some of us only like the high grades and others like the mid grades. Not too many into the lower grades though. Personally I like the 8.0s to 9.0s. It all depends on personal choice and budget.

This series was not really collected that much

I respectfully disagree with that statement.

Anything 9.4 will cost you a pretty penny, and a lot of the books are not even on the CGC census, so Good Luck on your quest.

My advice: if you are ok with 8.0-9.2--buy it RAW. If you don't know how to grade and want to avoid getting toasted on bad grading, I would advise looking at some CGC samples and mimick your grading accordingly. In addition, you may want to buy CGC 9.0-9.2 books until your raw grading gets in line (not a premium for books in these grades and looks great!)

Bottom line is what is your involvement: enjoyment or investment? You can do both, but I usually don't read my gem mint books foreheadslap.gif

FYI, I will be selling some 9.0-9.2 certified books from this and other mystery series soon on eBay.

While grading is a very significant part to collecting comic books, remember that grading by itself, can take fun out of collecting. When you say you're only interested in 9.0-9.2, you limit your collecting universe by leaving out the wonderful 8.0s and 8.5s. Some 8.0s and 8.5s can look just as good as 9.0s.

One other point: If you have never had the experience of collecting an early Bronze Age full run, realize that early Bronze DCs in high grade can sometimes be difficult to get from venues other than Ebay. The run you are attempting to complete has one particular book that is going to cost you in 9.0 or above- HOS #92.

Kudos to you, for you have chosen a great run to collect!

BronzeJohnny

While grading is a very significant part to collecting comic books, remember that grading by itself, can take fun out of collecting. When you say you're only interested in 9.0-9.2, you limit your collecting universe by leaving out the wonderful 8.0s and 8.5s. Some 8.0s and 8.5s can look just as good as 9.0s.

One other point: If you have never had the experience of collecting an early Bronze Age full run, realize that early Bronze DCs in high grade can sometimes be difficult to get from venues other than Ebay. The run you are attempting to complete has one particular book that is going to cost you in 9.0 or above- HOS #92.

BronzeJohnny

Yeah I know 92 is $$$. It's my favorite cover ever though, even as a kid. I just got back into comics a few nights ago, I'm gonna get runs for my reading pleasure, but I'd like to get a cgc collection of certain issues also. I figure I've spent enough money on "going out and partying" as I will ever need to, I'd like to put to use the $$$ I've been throwing away on that for something else, and cgc books seem like a fun way to do so. I also have a certain percentage I give to charity, so I've got things in balance in my life, I've started to get away from the "going out, bling bling, meet chicks, you're important mindset" the past few weeks, I'd like to get back to who I am, if you know what I mean, and getting back into comics is a great way for me to re-solidify who I was, who I am, and who I want to become. Believe it or not, buying the overstreet guide two nights ago was a great wake up call for me.

A high grade 81 isn't going to come cheap either...not to mention the fact that they are highly elusive.

Part of the fun of collecting is the chase. grin.gif

The first thing I want is an Albedo 2 in any condition actually.

BronzeJohnny

Yeah, that's defintely something I've noticed, I don't want to become a number chaser. I've looked at many scans of books on comiclink, and I find myself more attracted to books in lower grades sometimes, I guess grading is still an "eye of the beholder" deal, even with pro grading companies.

I've started to get away from the "going out, bling bling, meet chicks, you're important mindset" the past few weeks, I'd like to get back to who I am, if you know what I mean, and getting back into comics is a great way for me to re-solidify who I was, who I am, and who I want to become. Believe it or not, buying the overstreet guide two nights ago was a great wake up call for me.

If you want to drive the chicks away, you've definitely found the right collectible! 27_laughing.gif

While grading is a very significant part to collecting comic books, remember that grading by itself, can take fun out of collecting.

Likewise, since cost of the book is tied to the condition of a book, buying a 9.0 and getting a 7.5 can be a real buzz killer too. makepoint.gif

Yeah I know 92 is $$$.

Which explains why I'm in last place on the HoS census, even though everyone else is 1% or 2% complete, where I am 44% complete. Christo_pull_hair.gif IMO #81 deserves as much clout as #92---totally overpriced and over-rated at this point.

I've started to get away from the "going out, bling bling, meet chicks, you're important mindset" the past few weeks, I'd like to get back to who I am, if you know what I mean, and getting back into comics is a great way for me to re-solidify who I was, who I am, and who I want to become. Believe it or not, buying the overstreet guide two nights ago was a great wake up call for me.

If you want to drive the chicks away, you've definitely found the right collectible! 27_laughing.gif

You slay me! yay.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

A high grade 81 isn't going to come cheap either...not to mention the fact that they are highly elusive.

Part of the fun of collecting is the chase. grin.gif

The first thing I want is an Albedo 2 in any condition actually.

Good choice! I would love to have that book. headbang.gif

It's funny cause it's true. hail.gif

It's funny cause it's true. hail.gif

I've always said that as a rock musician and a comic collector... one hobby will get the chicks and the other will then drive them away. foreheadslap.gif

Yeah I know 92 is $$$. It's my favorite cover ever though, even as a kid.

I know you said you were looking for 9.0 to 9.2... this is probably a 9.4 but I could let it go for the 9.0 price... I'd have gotten it slabbed but the turnaround time is so long that my loss is your gain!

houseofsecrets92sm.jpg

hail.gif

stooges.gif

Just conditioning you for shopping on ebay. 27_laughing.gif Good luck in your comics quest!

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

PS - yes, I do own this copy! screwy.gif

[Which explains why I'm in last place on the HoS census, even though everyone else is 1% or 2% complete, where I am 44% complete. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Sterling your not in last place anymore 893applaud-thumb.gif However I still have quite a few books I need to get graded.