• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gold Captain America

35 posts in this topic

yeah, i think printing defect, too...if it was fading, wouldn't the black in the top "Marvel Comics Group" bar be more uneven?

i dunno. i'm leaning to about 60/40 production error/fading

Collectors have to be the stupiest people on the face of the Earth.

For most people a flaw in an item makes the item worth less and in some cases discarded. Yet comic collectors treat a flaw like this as valuable and is highly prized.

For most people restoring an item to its original condition increases the value of a item and make it more desirable. Yet comic collectors abhor restoration and restored comics are less valued and are stigmatized to a degree.

screwy.gif

So what do you think about:

Pressing

Shilling

Hulk 181

Price variants

Whitman "variants"

Changing micro chamber paper every seven years

Best bags and boards to use

and most importantly.....

Wizards top 100 comics of all time?

Collectors have to be the stupiest people on the face of the Earth.

For most people a flaw in an item makes the item worth less and in some cases discarded. Yet comic collectors treat a flaw like this as valuable and is highly prized.

For most people restoring an item to its original condition increases the value of a item and make it more desirable. Yet comic collectors abhor restoration and restored comics are less valued and are stigmatized to a degree.

screwy.gif

are the collectors the stupid ones, or is it t'other way round?

confused-smiley-013.gif

Does anyone think the post below has been restored or has a severe printing defect? I think the ink is dripping with irony. I think there's a little troll fingerprint stain on there too that may have been attempted to be removed. Any opinions?

So what do you think about:

Pressing

Shilling

Hulk 181

Price variants

Whitman "variants"

Changing micro chamber paper every seven years

Best bags and boards to use

and most importantly.....

Wizards top 100 comics of all time?

Sure, post the back cover after I offer my opinion.

Sorry about that didn't mean to make you or anyone else look bad just took me a few minutes to get the back scan ready to post, but I should have mentioned it in my first one.

I really value the opinions of you and most of the others on hear and was hopeing to see if their was any way to verify if this was fading or a printing error because I am still not sure confused-smiley-013.gif. I do think it would be highly unlikely that it was fading unless it was done on purpose, and while looking through it better today I have noiticed that some of the interior pages # 2 & 15 have a bleached out look to the reds on them to. So I still don't know what to think don't they print the covers separately from the interiors? How likely would it be to have a printing error like this with interior pages with the same error confused-smiley-013.gif? And if it is not a printing error what could have done this and not affected all the pages? I open to any ideals except maybe the urine and Green Lantern ones 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif.

Sorry about that didn't mean to make you or anyone else look bad just took me a few minutes to get the back scan ready to post, but I should have mentioned it in my first one.

I was just giving you a hard time. That's what the poke2.gif animation was for. Don't worry, you can't make me look any worse then I make myself look. insane.gif

I'm still waiting for DiceX to offer his professional printers opinion.......

I really value the opinions of you and most of the others on hear and was hopeing to see if their was any way to verify if this was fading or a printing error because I am still not sure confused-smiley-013.gif. I do think it would be highly unlikely that it was fading unless it was done on purpose, and while looking through it better today I have noiticed that some of the interior pages # 2 & 15 have a bleached out look to the reds on them to. So I still don't know what to think don't they print the covers separately from the interiors? How likely would it be to have a printing error like this with interior pages with the same error confused-smiley-013.gif? And if it is not a printing error what could have done this and not affected all the pages? I open to any ideals except maybe the urine and Green Lantern ones 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif.

Assuming the scans accurately reflect the book, I'm 99% certain it's a production defect. Stuff like this happened in the 40s, 50s, and 60s. Some things that were significant to me:

* Uniform front and back cover. It could happen, but I've never seen fading consistent across both.

* Blues are not rich on your copy -- they are light but it's due to the missing red.

* Obviously strong yellow. The colors in the 70s were produced with inks that generally have the same stability. I'd be surprised to see yellows that strong with non-existent reds. Instead I'd expect to lose a little of everything. Even in 50s books you'd have to really work (ie hire a chemist) to eliminate only the red.

Covers are printed separately so you can get the combo of missing red on cover without any missing on the pages. Also, if you get a missing color on interior pages, it won't usually be consecutive pages due to the way they are printed.

Bring your two copies to a Comic Con. I'm sure you can find a friendly dealer or someone at the CGC both that would provide advice.

I think the nicer comic should be placed outside in the sunlight opened up at its centerfold, cover up, for a week to see the results for comparison. 893whatthe.gifyay.gif (Purely in the name of science). poke2.gif

For those of you that have passed out................. I'M KIDDING .