• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st appearance question...Felix the Cat

67 posts in this topic

I remember my parents talking aobut the cartoon when I was little. I also remember trying to find some cartoons at Blockbuster in the 80's and being disinterested even though I enjoyed the humor, the plot was a little meh . That is until the video game came out lol I beat it in one sitting in about 4 hours, so I played it again haha there was nothing that could stop Felix the Cat when he got ahold of the magic bag. I remember it had a name but don't recall.

------good times

14 hours ago, Calidream'n said:

Oversteet states for Popular Comics #98: Felix the Cat, Smoky Stover -r begin.  Looks like #115 is the first Felix cover.  Is there anything earlier than that?

I think so..it's in @Beige profile pic.

He should be able to tell you more,I know he was on a hunt a few years back.

49 minutes ago, kav said:

thx! i tried gcd but couldn't navigate very well

It's pretty easy, type in Felix the Cat in the subject box, choose Date on the sort by menu and click "character" on the drop down menu. This is all right at the top of the home page.

You're saying gcd was wrong/difficult to navigate? 

Edited by kav

I believe the first two appearances of Felix in "comic book" form are in the two "all picture stories" Big Little Books. Sorry but I don't have pictures of my copies in my bucket

I do have this late 1920's US published book. I wouldn't consider it an actual comic book though because the illustrations are not in panel form. Still coo and hard to find none the less.

felixyellowbook_zpsnrsiqxcg.jpg

19 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I believe the first two appearances of Felix in "comic book" form are in the two "all picture stories" Big Little Books. Sorry but I don't have pictures of my copies in my bucket

I do have this late 1920's US published book. I wouldn't consider it an actual comic book though because the illustrations are not in panel form. Still coo and hard to find none the less.

felixyellowbook_zpsnrsiqxcg.jpg

Robot Man your book was published in 1931 (if it is indeed the first print of that specific book) But all printings of this book I've seen are in panel form. So I would love to see what is contained in yours.

Edited by Vintage_Paper

If you are talking about post 1933 US comic books. I believe the book is New Funnies 66 (If memory serves me right) (Its worth noting, Overstreet states Funnies 64 has Felix the Cat but I have verified with five people with that comic that Felix does not appear anywhere) There are several earlier platinum age books with Felix the Cat in them. 

Edited by Vintage_Paper