• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When do books go from being Bronze age to being modern?

110 posts in this topic

Uh, this WAS a good post . . . frown.gif

Until...?

hi.gifPov - until the "industry" analysis was given any credence to the discussion. confused-smiley-013.gif

IMHO, that's not what the discussion is all about. It's about the creative themes and artistic renderings of the books in each era. It's not about the "business" sumo.gif

Until...?

hi.gifPov - until the "industry" analysis was given any credence to the discussion. confused-smiley-013.gif

IMHO, that's not what the discussion is all about. It's about the creative themes and artistic renderings of the books in each era. It's not about the "business" sumo.gif

That's what YOU think. makepoint.gif SHEEEEEP!!!!!

Until...?

Well what about my take on the social aspects? It, too is not artist/writer or character-centric?

Until...?

That's what YOU think. makepoint.gif SHEEEEEP!!!!!

sign-funnypost.gifhi.gif

Hey - Did I leave my old denim jacket at your house after the ball game? LMK

Until...?

Well what about my take on the social aspects? It, too is not artist/writer or character-centric?

I think the social aspects analysis is compelling - I'll look at it when I have more time . . . flowerred.gif

the shock in Killing Joke was twofold: that it was Barbara Gordon who was crippled, and that Joker just shot her at point blank range... rather than some elaborate trap and plan for torturing her. So Overall I agree, Joker had been killing people since his first appearances and again in the late silver/earlyBronze age Adams/ONeil stories.

This is in response to all in this thread because I don't have much time right now...

It was much more than that...

Not only did he shoot Gordon at point blank range, he did so to take pictures to show and torture Commissioner Gordon...

The act itself wasn't where the shock came, it was the methodical manner and reason for the act. It was brutal and shown as so. That's the difference between prior acts and this one. Moore laid out the act piece by piece. It was the most brutal act I'd ever seen in a comic up to that point. I have read a fair number of Joker stories in Batman but never one that showed the Joker this maniacal. In my mind, the story redefined the character and I've never looked at the Joker the same since. And, appropriately or not, I continuely flashed back to DKR while I read it.

After I finished reading it, I spent awhile thinking about whether these type stories were what I wanted in comics. I like my comics as escapist entertainment. I like good against bad and a tidy clean-up by the hero in the end. If I wanted to read about real life, I could go back to work, read the paper, or grab a non-fiction novel. I'm not looking for the next literary breakthrough. I'm looking to be entertained for 15 minutes a pop. And, I don't like to read about anti-heroes or brutal acts played out clearly on the page, plain and simple. Take it off panel and I'll bite...

I saw a lot of what I didn't like creep into the comics after DKR and alot of what I liked left and in some cases have never returned. I didn't notice this pre-DKR...

Jim

good stuff... it was probably the first time Joker killed someone ON camera too. Up til then, he fed them the laughing poisin and Batman found the bodies. I guess he shoots henchmen occasionally, but that has no impact, not nearly like Barnara Gordon just answering her door.

As far as DC goes, I do not think TNTT and SOTST are bronze. They are the start of a new direction DC was going for. However, most of their other books were still stuck in the bronze age. Crisis got the other books in line with Teen Titans. I think a new age started with TNTT, but for DC, the bronze age ended with CRISIS. Titans was the direction DC wanted to go, but it took five years for the rest of their line to catch up.

While TNTT is not bronze, are there any books besides Swamp Thing that fit into the modern/copper style at DC before Crisis? Personally, I think copper and bronze overlapped at DC. The start of one age didn't end the other for a few years.

I think the social aspects analysis is compelling - I'll look at it when I have more time . . . flowerred.gif

Have you had more time yet?