• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When do books go from being Bronze age to being modern?

110 posts in this topic

I'm trying to figure out whether certain comics are bronze age books or modern books. Obviously anything 35 cents and below is considered bronze age, but what about 40 cent cover priced books that came out in 1979 or earlier? Also what about 40 cent cover price books that came out in the first few months of 1980? Is there an exact cut-off where it jumps from bronze age to modern? Or does everyone have different opinions?

I'm trying to figure out whether certain comics are bronze age books or modern books. Obviously anything 35 cents and below is considered bronze age, but what about 40 cent cover priced books that came out in 1979 or earlier? Also what about 40 cent cover price books that came out in the first few months of 1980? Is there an exact cut-off where it jumps from bronze age to modern? Or does everyone have different opinions?

1. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif - see reply to #3 and #4

2. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif - see reply to #3 and #4

3. No.

4. Yes.

IMHO, it's never about where an age ends, but where a new age begins, that defines the end of the preceding age.

IMHO, it's never about where an age ends, but where a new age begins, that defines the end of the preceding age.

I don't think you'll get a uniform answer on the end of the BA, everyone's going to vary somewhat on this one.

The one exception to this rule, IMO, is the coming of the comics code, which signalled the end of the Atomic age to me. shy.gif

Yes, the recent Overstreet revisionism tries to extend Bronze all the way to 1984/1985 with Secret Wars and Crisis on Infinite Earths beginning their new "Copper Age" (yuck!)

Doesn't sit well with me, but there you have it. yeahok.gif

Yes, the recent Overstreet revisionism tries to extend Bronze all the way to 1984/1985 with Secret Wars and Crisis on Infinite Earths beginning their new "Copper Age" (yuck!)

Doesn't sit well with me, but there you have it. yeahok.gif

Yeah, me too, but what do THEY know 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

for me, the Bronze Age ended when Byrne left X-Men. In a revisionist sense, that is, since I never really thought about it at the time

Coverpriced 20-35 Cents is Bronze in my book...despite what the revisionists try to claim...

Jim

Although, I must say, assigning books to ages based on cover price alone is less than inspiring . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif and often inaccurate.

While I'm willing to go a little beyond the .35 cent cutoff I used to use,there is no way I can call any EPIC or Baxter paper comic a bronze age book. Not with a straight face anyway.Dreadstar,Coyote,Omega Men,Camelot 3000,Ronin and Dark Knight just can't be squeezed into the same grouping as The Kree-Skrull War,the Thanos Saga, Green Lantern-Green Arrow and Manhunter. Its simply impossible. Different time,different market. i'm not sure what the right answer is,but I know what the wrong one is.

Coverpriced 20-35 Cents is Bronze in my book...despite what the revisionists try to claim...

Jim

I go 15-35 cents. I just don't view 15 cent books as SA. There's something magical about that 12 cent number.

Although, I must say, assigning books to ages based on cover price alone is less than inspiring . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif and often inaccurate.

But practical from a collecting standpoint. No need to know the year/date of an issue. Just define the age per cover price and you make your collecting much easier. Is it exact? No. But neither is the current circle jerk attempt to define Ages.

And in regards to moving Bronze to as late as 1984/5...my apologies to Arnold and the OS gang but it smacks of dealer preference in my opinion. The conventional wisdom for years among the vast majority of collectors based on firsthand knowledge and columns in comic-related publications was Bronze ending no later than 1980 or, if you had to have an event to mark it, the end of the Byrne X-Men run. Now OS is trying to move that benchmark out further. Seems like a ploy to get more comics designated Bronze to increase their desirability in the market. Could be right or wrong on the subject but that's my opinion and you'd be hard pressed to find an argument to change it...

Jim

Jim

I go 15-35 cents. I just don't view 15 cent books as SA. There's something magical about that 12 cent number.

That's my thinking, exactly. I just can't imagine all of Adams' work in Detective being part of the Silver Age.

Jim

Ditto...

Double Dog Ditto...

And in regards to moving Bronze to as late as 1984/5...my apologies to Arnold and the OS gang but it smacks of dealer preference in my opinion.... Seems like a ploy to get more comics designated Bronze to increase their desirability in the market.

Jim

Ayuh! Sounds fishy! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The cover price method won't work for Cerebus. grin.gif

Well, once again... the logical conclusion is that the 1970s are Bronze... the 1980s aren't.

The 1990s were their own "animal", and then starting in 2000, things are "new again".

So, after the Silver Age...

what's the problem with just using decades instead of ages again?

Jim

That's my thinking, exactly. I just can't imagine all of Adams' work in Detective being part of the Silver Age.

I generally feel the same way, but there are notable exceptions to this rule. Two that come to mind immediately: Fantastic Four #112 and Conan #1 - both covers are strict Silver Age compositions by any analysis, and both bear 15 cent cover price sumo.gif

Also, Sub-Mariner #8-15 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

I generally feel the same way, but there are notable exceptions to this rule. Two that come to mind immediately: Fantastic Four #112 and Conan #1 - both covers are strict Silver Age compositions by any analysis, and both bear 15 cent cover price sumo.gif

Also, Sub-Mariner #8-15 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Alot of people will argue that Conan #1 STARTED the BA news.gif

And the lines of transition for me are the end of the Byrne X-Men run and the beginning of the New Teen Titans #1 and SOTST 21 as the introduction of Copper. There is a bit more of a transition from Bronze to Copper (than from SA to BA), but that transition does NOT extend into 1984. foreheadslap.gif It does reek of dealer $$$ driven revisionism does it not? 893naughty-thumb.gif