• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading Question

6 posts in this topic

Grading Question

I've Got A Green Lantern #76....Its IMO around a 7.0 to 8.0

But Its got 3 extra staples...for some reason someone added a staple at the top,middle and Bottom.

The 2 original Staples are perfect...

How much does Extra staples hurt the Grade?

Take my Green Lantern #76, If it has the appearance  of a 8.0 , how much will the extra staples drop the grade

thanks to whomever replies

Most of the time when extra staples are added it's to keep the book together or reattach the cover.  Not on a book that has the original staples still holding the book together. 

My best guess is that the extra staples will not affect the grade, but instead will change the label.  I believe if the book is a 7.5 it would get a 7.5 grade - but with a Green, Qualified label.  I base my opinion on two similar scenarios. I've seen two books that the staples were removed that received a Qualified, Green Label book. And I  have seen several CGC Qualified graded books that had two or three hole punches through the books (most likely to store in binder). To me, it would seem like extra staples  Extra staples make holes, hole punches are holes. Remove staples it's green label, add staples is green label?

If you are not familiar with the Green, Qualified label the idea is that it excludes from the numeric grade a single specific defect. Unwitnessed signatures on the cover, a coupon, panel, page or Marvel Value Stamp cut out, staples removed and the hole punches I mentioned are several that come to mind.  The book gets the numeric grade excluding that defect - but gets a Green Qualified label instead of a Blue Universal label.  Green Label books sell for less. Oftentimes a lot less. 

You can ask specifically that a Universal grade be assigned rather than Qualified and the defect is considered in the grade. The impact on grade of three extra staples added to the book is likely to be big.  No better than 4.0 I would imagine. 

@Tony S

I got another question

I've got a few other books, that are IMO High grade.

But  have maybe 1 or 2 small color breaks on the spine, and It seems/looks like someone has taken Markers and  colored in these small breaks. again they are extremely small, probably less than 1/4 inch, and You really have to look to even notice they have been colored in. The Markers have not bled through the cover or to the interior pages

could you maybe give me an example, I have an Amazing Spiderman #41, IMO Its between 7.5 to 8.0, But Its got 2 very small color breaks on the spine and someone has color toughed them with a Brown Marker, again you really have to look to notice them, but they are there...They haven't bled through to the back of the cover or interior pages

how much would this type of amateur repair effect the grade, If the book is An 8.0 all around except for these 2 color breaks that have been touched with marker....

thanks

4 minutes ago, billbrown7080 said:

@Tony S

I got another question

I've got a few other books, that are IMO High grade.

But  have maybe 1 or 2 small color breaks on the spine, and It seems/looks like someone has taken Markers and  colored in these small breaks. again they are extremely small, probably less than 1/4 inch, and You really have to look to even notice they have been colored in. The Markers have not bled through the cover or to the interior pages

could you maybe give me an example, I have an Amazing Spiderman #41, IMO Its between 7.5 to 8.0, But Its got 2 very small color breaks on the spine and someone has color toughed them with a Brown Marker, again you really have to look to notice them, but they are there...They haven't bled through to the back of the cover or interior pages

how much would this type of amateur repair effect the grade, If the book is An 8.0 all around except for these 2 color breaks that have been touched with marker....

thanks

It would more than likely get a "Restored" label which is purple.....I don't know how it would affect the grade...