• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frosting on CGC Slabs- How Much is Too Much?

12 posts in this topic

Frosting on CGC Slabs- How Much is Too Much?

Title says it all I guess. Was looking at some auctions but noticed more than one slab with 'dashes' of frost around the slab, as opposed to a solid line going the length of a side.

I know from card grading that small bits of frost aren't necessarily a sign of tampering, but does it work that way with CGC books? Thanks all---

15 minutes ago, mschmidt said:

Frosting? Did you store your books in a freezer?

xD I think he means where the seal lines are. Some lines are cleaner and others tend to look like glue was applied with a spray nozzle. I have a few slabs that look like that.

1 hour ago, mschmidt said:

Frosting? Did you store your books in a freezer?

Ah well. In any event, a couple of examples. - lower right.

http://mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=43417847

Right side front. May be glare, but at least looks kind of like what I'm talking about. I've heard SGC cards they can sometimes show the little dashes without being tampered with, wasn't sure with CGC slabs though.

http://mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=43603118

2 minutes ago, Silver Ager said:

Ah well. In any event, a couple of examples. - lower right.

http://mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=43417847

Right side front. May be glare, but at least looks kind of like what I'm talking about. I've heard SGC cards they can sometimes show the little dashes without being tampered with, wasn't sure with CGC slabs though.

http://mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=43603118

Like Joey said those are just the seal lines from the sonic sealing of the case.

Plastic can frost over time.  I see that with old action figures where someone has kept it sealed on the card and the figure inside has that white crystalline frost.

I've seen other grading company holders with what appears to be glue seals and the glue makes it look kinda bad.

I don't think mylar will frost, and isn't that what CGC uses for the inner casing?

One thing I haven't seen (perhaps I've missed it) is a comprehensive guide to identifying tampering with CGC slabs. Perhaps it's not enough of a problem to warrant such a study. I've been around graded sports cards some and it's a big problem; just trying to figure out the comic side of things.

Edited by Silver Ager

5 minutes ago, Silver Ager said:

One thing I haven't seen (perhaps I've missed it) is a comprehensive guide to identifying tampering with CGC slabs. Perhaps it's not enough of a problem to warrant such a study. I've been around graded sports cards some and it's a big problem; just trying to figure out the comic side of things.

I think the possiblity of tampering has been addressed with the new case design. You can no longer 'gently' open up the slab. It generally takes a complete destruction of the case to open it up.

If I may ask one last dumb question, which slab do you mean when you say 'redesigned?' I've found news items from Mar 16 mentioning a new design and then Jun 16 modifying the new design.

I've also seen the old-old holder ebay example but the newer ones all look the same to me. Sorry, don't mean to be a pest--

10 hours ago, Silver Ager said:

If I may ask one last dumb question, which slab do you mean when you say 'redesigned?' I've found news items from Mar 16 mentioning a new design and then Jun 16 modifying the new design.

I've also seen the old-old holder ebay example but the newer ones all look the same to me. Sorry, don't mean to be a pest--

The redesigned slab has a label that looks like this (larger grade number, page quality underneath the grade):

crow-1-cgc-9.6-ss-f.jpg

The older slab looks like this:

walking-dead-101-ghost-cgc-9.8-ss-copyb-

The redesigned slab is pretty much impossible to open without it being very, very obvious that it's been opened.