• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Great golden age Batman or detective

21 posts in this topic

Hi guys I'm in the Market for my first golden age precode Batman or detective and wanted to know what issue(s) have great fun stories.

im currently considering buying Detective comics 150 it has a batsignal on the cover or Batman 60 they are sliding down a fire pole.

any suggestions would be great! Also please keep in mind that the big keys are out of my price range.

thanks dan

Edited by Raze

are you looking only for reading enjoyment? ---

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/batman-various/1122313853?ean=9781401260095&st=PLA&sid=BNB_DRS_Core+Shopping+Books_00000000&2sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP75606

The reprints and books are reasonable and can cover a lot of the "key" issues and such.

Otherwise, you almost have to look over the bigger sites ( sales forum here, comiclink, comiconnect) - and look for the more reasonably priced books.  It is kind of random what shows up for batman/TEC GA at times.....

Edited by W16227

yes i have the golden age omnibus vol 1. but i want to know what are some stories that people love. i want to at least own 1 golden age batman/tec in my collection.

As for the best stories that's relative...I buy the hardcovers to read the stories and when I'm looking to buy a real golden age Bat/Tec I'm pretty much a "cover shopper" because i like to use them for display. The bigger keys are typically out of my price range too (but with a little discipline you might be able to save for one) but I can find cool books for $150-300. Good deals to be had on the sales forums. Keep an eye out on eBay. There's also a good thread that lists websites that sell golden age books. Happy hunting! 

3 hours ago, steelcity said:

I would agree with the above comment that Detective 180 is a very entertaining read. I like it so much I have two copies.

BitterOldMan loves that book too....

In the title of Batman, there's almost too many great comics to  mention from Issue 1 through 100.   Of course they can get pretty pricey, so if you aren't after the major keys (like #1, #47, etc) then I would suggest the following as just examples:

1.  Batman 15 -- great Catwoman story and an imaginary story where Japanazis win the war (photo shown below along with the very expensive #47 origin issue)

2.  Batman 26 - story of Batman in the year 3000 where Batman and Robin's descendants defeat an Army from Mars where the martian leader tries to imitate Hitler.

3.  Batman 41 -- cool Alien story

In the title of Detective, I like the following that aren't too outrageous in price like first appearance of Riddler (TEC 140) and Joker (TEC 168), yet they have very interesting story lines:

1.  TEC 138 - includes origin of Robotman in backup story

2.  TEC 142 - 2nd part of the first Riddler story

3.  TEC 144 - Batman on Kay Kyser's radio show

4.  TEC 152 -- great Vickie Vale cover and story

5.  TEC 155 -- great Vickie Vale cover and story (Mile High copy seen below)

6.   TEC 167 - going back in time to see Cleopatra

7.   TEC 190 - has more details on Batman's origin

batman 18 andn 47.JPG

batman26.jpgbatman41.jpgdetective138.jpg.a9e909c74c97d909590a13cc1024f90a.jpg

detective142.jpgdetective144.jpgdetective152.jpgTEC 155.JPG

detective167.jpgdetective190sm.jpg

Edited by Cpt Kirk

9 hours ago, steelcity said:

I would agree with the above comment that Detective 180 is a very entertaining read. I like it so much I have two copies.

Cool do you want to sell me one ??

If I were looking for a cool book to pick up that doesn't cost a fortune, I would go for a Batman or Detective with Win Mortimer artwork.  I especially like his covers from Detective Comics.  Several nice ones have already been posted.  Here is another copy I think is especially nice.

detective197.jpg

6 hours ago, batman_fan said:

If I were looking for a cool book to pick up that doesn't cost a fortune, I would go for a Batman or Detective with Win Mortimer artwork.  I especially like his covers from Detective Comics.  Several nice ones have already been posted.  Here is another copy I think is especially nice.

detective197.jpg

(thumbsu