• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$1000 is handed to you to invest long-term in CGC MODERN Age what do you do?
5 5

418 posts in this topic

$1000 is handed to you to invest long-term in CGC MODERN Age what do you do?

This is to supplement a bronze age thread I started 7 years ago.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/194065-1000-is-handed-to-you-to-invest-long-term-in-cgc-bronze-age-what-do-you-do/

We  have gone back to that thread, and we have noticed a lot of bronze age key comic  books have more than doubled in profit, so now I am asking the same question here about moderns. I think it be fun to see what people pick now for investment/speculator purposes.

SO

Scenario: You have $1000 of disposable income to invest long-term(5 years) in getting some Modern keys. What do you pick?

criteria these must be CGC`ed and dates are 1997 to 2017.

These will not be for a quick flip, you spend the $1000 now and hopefully in 5 years you will have a little profit. Since you guys are the experts I like to hear your pros and cons thoughts.

I will start it off with any mid-grade The Walking Dead CGC  #1 for under a grand.

3 hours ago, Sam I am said:

The best variant covers for Action Comics 1000, and Detective Comics 1000.  (Still a few years off, but they will be iconic.)

I like your long-range thinking. The completists would very much want these.

2 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

ASM 667 Dell'otto, Batman 608RRP, or Wolverine 1 (2010), Campbell  (Deadpool), in any condition you can find at that price point.  

Honorable mention to ASM 678 (VenoMJ).

-J.

I definitely could see these all doubling in price the next 5 years.

I'm not big into manufactured collectibles (variants) and am more into 1st appearances. I think the play is to invest in things that haven't been adapted to tv/movies yet and hold onto them until they are. I have a pretty good eye for these things because unlike a lot of speculators, I read the stories so I know what's good and would easily translate to another medium. Some of my favorites are: Fallen Angel #1, Resurrection Man #1, 52 #11, Major Bummer #1, Planetary Preview/Planetary #1, Violent Messiahs #1, and Hexed #1.

Long term? The rarest variants possible of character first appearances and first ongoings of characters I see having media potential.

I'd go with first Damian Wayne and Jon Kent, 1st Ms. Marvel, 1st Phylla-Vell Quasar, 1st Duke Thomas. Probably $500 worth of that.

$250 into Image and maybe some Action Lab #1s. Saga. Black Science. Anything Millar you can get cheap. Happy! still seems like it could be a good buy still. Redneck. Go for variety here rather than bank breaking variants. Sub-$10 each.

The last $250 I'd pump into whatever mix of variants I could find with print runs of 1000 or less. Focus on stuff with eye appeal. JSC store variants. Try to get this stuff signature series signed.

The key for me is I wouldn't try to put my $1000 into a single category of comic. And definitely look for stuff like 1sts of new Marvel cosmic characters or supporting characters or villains for Batman and Spider-man. I mentioned Damian and Duke Thomas but stuff like Professor Pyg or that flower themed bad guy Snyder created for Batman strike me as long term potential.

11 minutes ago, PatrickG said:

The key for me is I wouldn't try to put my $1000 into a single category of comic. And definitely look for stuff like 1sts of new Marvel cosmic characters or supporting characters or villains for Batman and Spider-man. I mentioned Damian and Duke Thomas but stuff like Professor Pyg or that flower themed bad guy Snyder created for Batman strike me as long term potential.

I'd say any first appearance of a member of the Batman family is a good bet long-term.

CAPTAIN MARVEL 17 2ND PRINT

BATMAN #655 VARIANT

NEW 52 DIAMOND  VARIANTS  FOR ACTION #1 AND DETECTIVE #1 (STAYED RELEVANT WITH RE-NUMBERING)

Ultimate Comics: Fallout #4 VARIANT

AMAZING FANTASY #15 -MODERN WITH AMADEUS CHO

ADAM:LEGEND OF THE BLUE MARVEL #1

NYX #3

SAGA #1-5

AND I AGREE WITH THESE.....  FROM ABOVE, ASM 667 Dell'otto, Batman 608RRP,

Edited by paul747

I keep thinking about the new Star Wars characters...

Dr Aphra, Triple Zero, Bee-Tee (Darth Vader #3) ~$12-15/ea

Sana Starros (Star Wars #4) ~$4/ea

Poe & BB8 (Poe Dameron #1) ~$6-8/ea

These books are affordable, so I am trying to sock away about 5 of each in NM+. Whatever happens to the comic bubble going forward, Star Wars will stay at the forefront. 

Edited by oldmilwaukee6er

22 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

ASM 667 Dell'otto, Batman 608RRP, or Wolverine 1 (2010), Campbell  (Deadpool), in any condition you can find at that price point.

I suppose this is true for all, but isn't it possible you'd be buying at the top of the market for these variants?