• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRADING CONTEST : ROUND 2

159 posts in this topic

This wasn't the easiest book to grade by any means, personally I hate books with soiling, to me that is one of the most unappealing defects a comic can have, Christo_pull_hair.gif like someone wiped his [#@$%!!!] with a nice white cover. When I grade I'm way harder on soiling then CGC, it's obvious they don't detract as much as I would, anyone remember that book on STL with the soiling that I scored way lower on? that's my weak area because I am biased to that aspect of a book. Along with the wavyness of the left edge on the back cover which I asked Nikos about, and the color breaking stress lines on the spine, I didn't figure it would get anything higher then an 8.0 at most, this is what I look at for the 7.5 I gave it

Fine/Very Fine (7.0): An above-average copy that shows minor wear but is still relatively flat and clean with outstanding eye appeal. A small accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Minor cover wear beginning to show, possibly including minor creases. Corners may be blunted. Inks are generally bright with a moderate reduction in reflectivity. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. Minor foxing. The slightest spine roll may be present, as well as a possible moderate color break. Staples may show some discoloration. Slight staple tears and a small accumulation of light stress lines may be present. Slight rust migration. Paper is cream to tan. Centerfold is mostly secure. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present.

Very Fine- (7.5): Fits the criteria for Very Fine but with an additional defect or small accumulation of defects that detracts from the book's appearance by a perceptible amount.

I gave it the 7.5 for the few things that bumped it up from a 7.0, like I said I wasn't confident with the grade at all and I didn't even factor in any SCS as that's done after the original grade is given,

Good job to all the keeners that got it, thumbsup2.gif

On to the next

I couldn't rationalize going lower than 9.2, because I didn't think Nikos would bother to send in a VF+ copy for grading. tonofbricks.gif

It might be nice if books with SCS were NOT used in this contest as well. screwy.gif

Exactly my thoughts...on both accounts hail.gif

893blahblah.gif falling fast whiner!

I'm really just trying to be as cool as you with your 4, my ugly 5 just doesnt compare to the cool 4 you have. wink.gifpoke2.gif

Can I be co-captain of your winners club?

You mean the professor only has 4? Heck i got 4 and i didn't even guess the grade on the first book! 893whatthe.gif

poke2.gif

That X-Men 45 is still bugging you HUH tongue.gif

Dont worry wait till those GA Batmans come back next week, those will be fun to grade poke2.gif

That X-Men 45 is still bugging you HUH tongue.gif

Dont worry wait till those GA Batmans come back next week, those will be fun to grade poke2.gif

That book looked like it was stored under my kid's sandbox!! 9.4 my [#@$%!!!]

sumo.gif

But no, it's not really bugging me.....

The following guesed 9.6 and receive 0 points

1 XsmanX

blush.gif

Musta been high on white out... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You better now poke2.gif

Yeah....sure insane.gif

I'm really just trying to be as cool as you with your 4, my ugly 5 just doesnt compare to the cool 4 you have. wink.gifpoke2.gif

You mean the professor only has 4? Heck i got 4 and i didn't even guess the grade on the first book! 893whatthe.gif

poke2.gif

Yeah, but my pair of two's trumps your lone 4 any day of the week wink.gif

You're right, my 4 is way cooler than your 5 poke2.gif and . . .

NO - you're the sole captain of the all-whiners club sumo.gif27_laughing.gif

That was slab damage? I never considered that...

Jim

Yeah I asked. My gut was telling me 8.5 but I thought with the production defect it might go 9.0... I will go with my gut next time...

As Nikos could attest, my "gut" pulled me down from 8.5 to 8. foreheadslap.gif

At least now I think I know this " thumbsup2.gif " means "almost"! 27_laughing.gif

When you start getting these, hail.gif, then you're getting somewhere!

All i keep getting is screwy.gif