• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Las Vegas Celestial Comics Robbed - APB For This Guy!

36 posts in this topic

Valuable comic books stolen from local shop

LAS VEGAS - A valley comic book store is looking for a real life villain and they hope someone in the valley can come to the rescue.

The owner of Celestial Comics said some of his most valuable comics were swiped last Sunday.

8 News NOW spoke with Chandler Rice on Saturday, which happened to be Free Comic Book Day.

Rice said last weekend someone came into the store and stuffed three pricey comics down his pants and walked out of the store.

The whole thing was caught on surveillance video. Rice hopes someone will recognize the thief and help bring them to justice.

"They were signed by people that meant something to the book or in the case of Stan Lee, who is obviously one of the biggest names in the comic book industry, and the fact that we had a comic book signed by him. It's disturbing," said Rice.

The three comics were valued at $1,500. One was signed by Stan Lee and one was a Walking Dead comic signed by an actor in the show.

Rice has filed a report with the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department.

Rice is also offering a $500 dollar reward for anyone with information that can lead to the identity and conviction of the person in the surveillance video.

Thief.jpg

Edited by jcjames

Gonna be hard to track down the books based on this story. 

A Walking Dead Book signed by one of the actors on the show, and a book signed by Stan Lee accurately describes about 75% of the Sig Series books in existence. 

52 minutes ago, CKB said:

I'm not sure he wants the books back once stuffed down someone's pants.  :-)

I do that prior to shipping any of my sales books...., it's a personal touch kind of thing.  (shrug)

what a dweeb.  He should be apprehended in short order but will most likely return the books himself when he sees the video and say it was an 'accident'.

ps does anyone know why they say it happened 'last sunday'?

Poor reporting on the original link.

The original post from Celestial Comics / Desert Winds Comics says

On April 30th at approximately 5:30pm, an individual came into Celestial Comics and proceeded to STEAL THREE (3) CGC Graded comic books. He stole a Uncanny X-Men #266, Giant Sized X-Men (German Edition) and a Walking Dead #115. He entered the store with a young lady who had a baby in a bassinet. He walked into our HIGH END section of the store and slid the three books down his pants. But he didn't realize that he did this in front of a surveillance camera.

So we are asking anyone who would have ANY information on WHO this individual is. We are offering a $500 reward for information that leads to the capture of this individual. Please email any information to sales@celestial-comics.com

Those books add up to $1500? Either way a nice reward posted by the Rices for any info on this sleeze bag.

6 minutes ago, kav said:

free comic book day was on April 30??

are you serious?

8 News NOW spoke with Chandler Rice on Saturday, which happened to be Free Comic Book Day.

Edited by Jimmy Linguini

Seriously though I just watched the video I didnt read the blurb.  The lady said 'it may be free comic book day, but that doesnt mean you can just walk in and take what you want.  Well last sunday someone did just that'.  That's why I was confused about the dates.  I thought the story must have aired today, and they were saying 'last sunday' for yesterday.  Then I read the other blurb that said April 30 that's why i got confused.  It happens.

30 minutes ago, kav said:

Pretty sure books are a bit over valued-a quick scan of ebay shows the 3 books in around 9.2 can be had for like $200

Why 9.2?  Couldn't they have been 9.8?

Just now, valiantman said:

Why 9.2?  Couldn't they have been 9.8?

They could have been 7.5

Just now, kav said:

They could have been 7.5

They were CGC graded, so that's either a dealer who considers modern books "high end" if they're CGC 7.5 and he also considers them worth $1,500... or they were higher grades than your "can be had for like $200" estimate.

Which is more likely?

12 minutes ago, valiantman said:

They were CGC graded, so that's either a dealer who considers modern books "high end" if they're CGC 7.5 and he also considers them worth $1,500... or they were higher grades than your "can be had for like $200" estimate.

Which is more likely?

yep

Edited by kav