• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Duck Love?
2 2

45 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

I don't see any resemblance between Daffy and Howard other than they're ducks.

Try reading the original Howard the Duck run from #1 up.  I loved the series back in the day.   His villains were very unusual.

Did Daffy ever go up against anyone like The Space Turnip and Dr Bong? Doubt it.

8 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

I don't see any resemblance between Daffy and Howard other than they're ducks.

Try reading the original Howard the Duck run from #1 up.  I loved the series back in the day.   His villains were very unusual.

I just finished reading Howard the Duck: the Complete Collection Vol. 1 and, for me, I see a definite resemblance between Howard and Daffy, at least in attitude: they both share the same sentiment toward mankind:

Daffy-Duck-Quotes-youre-despicable-1.jpg

On 9/5/2017 at 6:22 PM, divad said:

Love the duck, but most of us HTD fans were there at the beginning.  Not sure the younger fans get it. :)

I would definitely say not. Unless you do a bit of homework.

This rewritten version of Rocket Raccoon used in the modern "Guardians of the Galaxy" series (which, by the way, has basically nothing to do with the original concept) has nothing to spare with Howard the Duck and his satiric/disenchanted view on the events.

As it have been said, just read some Howard the Duck, understand it, put the character into his original context where he was developed: Steve Gerber has been one of the greatest Marvel age writers of the second generation.

P.S. I am not saying that Howard the Duck couldn’t be used as a character in a very different context as the one we have today, I just impy that if Marvel had been unable to unfold his characters consistently, and without betraying their conception, in the last twenty-five years and more, I doubt they would be able to do so with a complex character as Howard the Duck. You can see the "brilliant" results they attained with Daimon Hellstrom or Cage in the 1990s. And afterwards it has been more or less increasingly worse, with rare exception. They messed up with staple characters like the X-Men or Spider-Man, would you expect a good rendition of Howard the Duck without a complete rethinking? I am pretty much convinced it’s unlikely, unless they make a drastic change.

On 6/28/2017 at 10:16 AM, Ken Aldred said:

I enjoy Steve Gerber's surreal, ridiculous humour, and his equally ridiculous characters.

I started reading comics in the 70s,  and I'm still very fond of these stories.

Agreed Paul, Howard was a very strange creature and his villains were even stranger.  Really a unique and delightful creation.

I still have my ratty Fear 19 purchased off the racks; I still rcall my grade school self being struck by that Fear 19/Man-Thing 1 story with Howard, the Man-Thing, a Sorceror, a barbarian and the girl in the metallic bikini. It was like Timothy Leary reinvented the Defenders (which was pretty strange in its own right). Also have my off the racks HTD 1, and I recently grabbed this copy of Fear 19 from an LCS that says a retired Marvel guy sold him his office copies from over the years. 

image.jpeg

On 7/2/2017 at 9:37 AM, Chaykin Stevens said:

I always thought Howard's original appearance was derived from Donald Duck.

donald_duck_howard_the_duck.jpg

Obviously, yes.  His demeanor borrows from both Donald and Daffy, but is entirely Steve Gerber's.:bigsmile:

On 28/06/2017 at 5:16 PM, Ken Aldred said:

I enjoy Steve Gerber's surreal, ridiculous humour, and his equally ridiculous characters.

I started reading comics in the 70s,  and I'm still very fond of these stories.

Gerber was a genius.

On 1/15/2018 at 7:14 PM, Dogsupreme said:

I would love to see an issue where Howard meets the duck version of the Marvel Super-heroes.

On 1/13/2018 at 6:48 AM, vaillant said:

I would definitely say not. Unless you do a bit of homework.

This rewritten version of Rocket Raccoon used in the modern "Guardians of the Galaxy" series (which, by the way, has basically nothing to do with the original concept) has nothing to spare with Howard the Duck and his satiric/disenchanted view on the events.

As it have been said, just read some Howard the Duck, understand it, put the character into his original context where he was developed: Steve Gerber has been one of the greatest Marvel age writers of the second generation.

For what it's worth, my 12 year old son is a HTD fan and made me buy him the entirety of his recentish series at the last NYCC as well as some of the 70s books. He seems to get it, but yes, it's probably due to any GTG connection.