• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Artists of TSR
1 1

98 posts in this topic

On 5/10/2017 at 2:43 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

On 5/10/2017 at 0:19 PM, seanfingh said:

Don't forget Erol Otus

Why does it say you joined late last year?

Excellent question!

On 5/11/2017 at 0:03 AM, adampasz said:

I loved David Sutherland and David Trampier's stuff in the original Monster Manual. Their visualizations of the monsters were slightly crude, but so iconic...

fa4f14db22a6972526e4ae60ddb3ee29.jpg

219759fb5800acd661159cad448112c9.jpg

23f040ece3d373a4899cca71282cd91e.jpg

Here's link to more cool images: 

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/300404237617190978/

Sutherland's stuff was a little crude but not Tramp. He was a master. Don't confuse style with ability 

Edited by Jeffro.

Yeah, S4 is a favorite of mine. I also visit a D&D forum called Dragonsfoot and one guy took the cavern maps from S4, digitally cut it up in order to create more space between the various encounter areas. he did it as a way to flesh it out more. very cool idea  

Edited by Jeffro.

Its amazing to me how little market there is for the older gaming minis. The art on these is great. I started buying sealed sets earlier in the year and you can get some beautiful pieces for next to nothing. I love the Dungeon Dwellers artwork. Heritage and Ral Partha really hit the nostalgia sweet spot for me.

IMG_0121.JPG

I have managed to pick up a few "classic-era" (IMO) RPG pieces over the past few years:

Judge's Guild tournament module Operation Ogre cover by Kevin Siembieda, founder of Palladium Books. 

Operation Ogre RPG Module cover Comic Art

Jeff Dee Space Opera RPG Space Mountain Man Illustration

Space Opera RPG Space Mountain Man Illustration Comic Art

I met Jeff Dee and David LaForce (Diesel) at a show some years ago and talked to them about the absence of classic TSR art on the market. They both confirmed the often told tale that the vast majority of the art was trashed when the company restructured (1983?) and the remaining art was trashed when Wizards of the Coast took over. I have also heard stories about pieces being recovered from dumpsters by artists.

Always on the lookout for this material.

On ‎2017‎/‎05‎/‎10 at 10:09 AM, Jeffro. said:

Denis Beauvias cover to Dragon Magazine # 92

0efd511cf0a9c67a76f792c0964a8cf1.jpg

also the box cover art to one of my favorite Ral Partha Dragon models of the 1980's

post-5669-0-57220700-1360029142.jpg

Edited by Artboy99

Man, what a great thread!

Loved Willingham, was first introduced to him though D&D and watched his ascent in comics - so jealous to see that someone who is such a talented artist is also such a talented writer!

Speaking of Willingham D&D, maybe you fine folk can help me identify a nostalgic D&D image from my youth I have been trying to track down - it's from the title page of a module, and it's a group shot of some Drow/Dark Elves.  Definitely Willingham because I vividly recall his unique signature and style.  But there's a treasure chest in the corner, and it happens to be filled with Marvel easter eggs: I think there's Captain America's sheild, Thor's hammer and Iron Man's helmet!  I thought it might be from Queen of the Demon Web, but I don't think so...

Edited by Flambit
sentence didn't make sence

51 minutes ago, Flambit said:

Speaking of Willingham D&D, maybe you fine folk can help me identify a nostalgic D&D image from my youth I have been trying to track down - it's from the title page of a module, and it's a group shot of some Drow/Dark Elves.  Definitely Willingham because I vividly recall his unique signature and style.  But there's a treasure chest in the corner, and it happens to be filled with Marvel easter eggs: I think there's Captain America's sheild, Thor's hammer and Iron Man's helmet!  I thought it might be from Queen of the Demon Web, but I don't think so...

Found it...it's the 1st page of the module D1-2 "Descent into the Depths of the Earth". Not on the cover, but on the 1st page of the interior. 

I am scanning it now, I'll post in a moment. 

53 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Willingham D1-2 page 1.jpeg

Willingham D1-2 Marvel Chest.jpeg

OMG - thank you!  How awesome to see that after all these years!  I remember being about 12 and my friends were all freaking out about the company "crossover" there at the bottom!

I had started searching again for this image a few months ago and never even came close.  

Thanks again!!  Wonderful to see!  

(If anyone owns this art and wants to sell, drop me a line.  It's worth a try, right?)

Edit: it's funny, the more I look at this picture, I forgot how much I loved this image as a kid.  It so informed a lot of my taste in art and stylistic choices!  I had no idea how much influence Willingham actually had over me!  Love this piece!  Many thanks again, sir!

Edited by Flambit

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:44 AM, Bird said:

A Mr. Richard Feder from Fort Lee NJ writes...

A no prize for anyone who gets that reference! Besides feder241 of course.

He always wrote to Rosanne Rosanadana, of course!   (Long time SNL nerd!)