• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post a pic of the first comic you ever acquired as a kid...
2 2

66 posts in this topic

After reading some of my buddies comics I got these two from a local Waldenbooks when I was 10 years old.  (These are not the actual issues)

Image result for xmen 256

I lived in that small town of around 30,000 for another year and when I was 11 my family moved to a larger town of around 200,000 people.   It was then that I saw my first actual comic shop.  I talked my dad into taking me there and my mind was blown with the selection of back issues they had.  I was in heaven due to the fact that everything was seemingly at my fingertips.  Unfortunately, I also learned about the importance of condition and the fact that back issues were no longer cover price in the same trip.

Me and my buddy probably had a couple hundred comics between us in the year that we bought together and in that small town there was not a poly-bag or backing board to be found.  We just bought and read.

Anyways, the first comic I grabbed was a Wolverine number 1.  My dad and I took it to the counter in its bag and board to pay for it.  I still remember how pissed my dad was when the owner of the store said 20 dollars!  He could not reconcile that with the fact that the price on the cover said $1.50.  Begrudgingly my dad paid for the book but then he told me we were never going back because we were just ripped off.  (Money was tight for us in those days and the thought of paying 20 dollars for a comic was inconceivable.)  

I remember how bad it felt to see all those books I wanted and not having any means to get them.  I learned later that they would offer trade.  So on a future trip I brought my books in to trade and that is when I learned the heartbreaking truth that my books were worthless due to condition.  That is a whole other story though.

13 hours ago, JohnFranklin said:

DD #19......Last day of school, my brother Ted brought me my first comic......I recall telling people who wanted to look at it, don't dog ear the pages and don't fold the cover around to the back of the book, but at age seven, just didn't think of the fact that the mere act of opening the book repeatedly damages the comic....doh!

DD_19.jpg

Nothing wrong with a well-loved comic book!  :applause:  A great first book!

Bought this at comic convention as a kid ... later I sold it to a kid in the neighbourhood ... Something happened and his mom threw his comics down the garbage chute with that book in the pile .. my other buddy found out and scooped them up .. still has them to this day stored at his moms in Niagara Falls ... still want to get this book 

IMG_8144.PNG

The first comic I ever owned was Daredevil 33.  A friend of my older brother's brought over a box of old comics and it was the first one I pulled out.  I was hooked afterwards.  This is not the actual copy (which I still own) but a copy I picked up real cheap.

daredevil33.jpg