• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post a pic of the first comic you ever acquired as a kid...
2 2

66 posts in this topic

First comic I ever "acquired" as a kid would have been a Harvey or Archie book in the early 60's that my parents got for me.

The first book(s) I remember getting on my own with my .25 weekly allowance would have been one of these.

I can still remember seeing them and the store(s) they were found/purchased in... A local pharmacy and a local grocery store in/about 1965.

These books stand out in my mind as the "beginning" of my Marvel Comics "addiction".

1zmysux.jpg

m0ldt.jpg

xdvw3d.jpg

111r1qv.jpg

20rs1du.jpg

8 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

And my love of Steve Ditko.

Of course !!   I forgot.   doh! :sorry:

Edited by Ken Aldred

2259363-www.jpg

Earliest comic I remember reading (I'm sure I more than likely just glanced at the pictures - I was only five). I still own it, coverless of course, and have it safely stored in a mylite2 side by side with my most valuable comics. Every time I pull it out I stare at it as proudly as Uncle Scrooge with his Number One Dime!

I don't remember the first one. I do remember the DC war books from about 1959. I especially liked Gunner and Sarge and Sgt. Rock. I bought the occasional Superman or Batman and a few Marvel fantasy books. One day, I spotted Spiderman #3 and I was hooked. Kept buying the Marvels every week. This is the only comic book left from my childhood collection. 

comjimmyolsen57_zpsmcs8udyz.jpg

Then one day I was at the cigar store with my grandpa and spotted this. This was the first one that made me want to get them all. I guess this was the one that turned me into a "collector" It rocked my world. So different than the comic books I had been buying.

mad72_zps5wmcbf1k.jpg

I just have to say it's very cool that we can remember the first book we purchased as a kid... Mine was Captain America #355. Went to the local comic shop with a friend of mine from school. I still have it, it's in one of my many long boxes. 

Captain_America_Vol_1_355.jpg

This was the second comic purchase.  I was fascinated by the story of the Clark Kent robot damaging his hands and thinking up clever ways to hide them.  Little did I realize I would be doing the same thing after a blast explosion incident screwed up my hands:

296613-773-122281-1-superman.jpg

Edited by kav

74-1.jpg

I have no idea how I acquired this but this is the first comic I remember having. I was about a year and a half old when it came out, I remember it being in the back of our station wagon for road trip reading. It was not high grade.

Edited by Mackenzie999

Superman stop whining-if you were starving you'd be scrawny and you look just fine.