• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TEC 168 really odd auction

11 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

reported, looks fake, hijacked account, looking for $2k for a book worth what, $10k+

Definitely scam...owner of that copy still owns it

I reported as well. I'm sure the book guides for more than what the solicited price is, which is the only way books like this end up selling cheap - when someone uses the guide without investigating true value. 

Seller also has zero previous sellers feedback, and appears to use the account to buy clothing.

I reported it last night as soon as I saw it (violated both asking to deal outside eBay as well as not actually owning the item). I believe this person (not this particular eBay ID but the nefarious identity behind it) has attempted numerous scams over the last year or so using stolen images of comics and implying that they'll take quick cash well below market value. There was a thread in CG before, but my feeble search skills couldn't find it to update with the new listing. Several times they've used established user ID's with long feedback history, so I'm betting the accounts are being hacked.

6 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

I reported it last night as soon as I saw it (violated both asking to deal outside eBay as well as not actually owning the item). I believe this person (not this particular eBay ID but the nefarious identity behind it) has attempted numerous scams over the last year or so using stolen images of comics and implying that they'll take quick cash well below market value. There was a thread in CG before, but my feeble search skills couldn't find it to update with the new listing. Several times they've used established user ID's with long feedback history, so I'm betting the accounts are being hacked.

Yeah, it's surprising how many people fail to check the selling/buying history of a previously unknown seller listing a high-dollar book.  If the last transaction was more than a year ago and the person appears to have exclusively been buying/selling baby clothes or auto parts, the chances are 99.999% that the listing is a scam.