• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AS 8 Scam on the Bay?

26 posts in this topic

I'm going to go with legit auction as well. Seller went for 9 day format instead of something much shorter. Copy doesn't seem to show up in past archives.

Tough one to figure.  He supplies a plausible back story, which most scammers skip.  But seems strange that someone savvy enough to get the book graded would think that listing it on eBay as a zero fb seller is the best way to sell it.  And how many collectors who have been around for 45 years have never registered for eBay?

Then there's this odd statement in his write up:  "This is the BEST PRICE around for this great collectible book at the MOST AFFORDABLE price."  It's an auction, so how does he know what the hammer price will be?  Maybe an indication that he copied the language from a previous BIN listing?

Too many red flags for me.

9 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

I'm going to go with legit auction as well. Seller went for 9 day format instead of something much shorter. Copy doesn't seem to show up in past archives.

and willing to do local pick up...I've inquired as I will be that way right after auctions end, for heroes con...

Just now, Sqeggs said:

Tough one to figure.  He supplies a plausible back story, which most scammers skip.  But seems strange that someone savvy enough to get the book graded would think that listing it on eBay as a zero fb seller is the best way to sell it.  And how many collectors who have been around for 45 years have never registered for eBay?

Then there's this odd statement in his write up:  "This is the BEST PRICE around for this great collectible book at the MOST AFFORDABLE price."  It's an auction, so how does he know what the hammer price will be?  Maybe an indication that he copied the language from a previous BIN listing?

Too many red flags for me.

will advise what response is to my inquiry...copy could be red flag, or could be a description cut and pasted from another auction...interesting none the less

Just now, G.A.tor said:

and willing to do local pick up...I've inquired as I will be that way right after auctions end, for heroes con...

I'm on it.  Not to far from where I live too.  Will report back.

This is a scam.  Someone got a steal last week on what I believe was a legit auction; this guy just lifted the pics (and description) from that one.  Just look at the completed sales and you'll find it -- $15k BIN/best offer listing, and the seller accepted $14k.  I'm pretty sure that first one was legit, but this one is absolutely a scam.

Also, this copy doesn't show up on GPA because I think GPA thought the first ($14k) sale was not legit -- I'm not sure -- I messaged the seller and he seemed real (he also received positive feedback from the buyer), so like I said, I think that may have been a real sale.  GPA actually has it down in the "zero feedback seller/non sales/errors" section at the bottom of the price data for All Star 8.

Hopefully this info helps someone avoid an expensive headache!

11 hours ago, Dark Knight said:
  Reveal hidden contents

That's some good detective work. Tnx for unraveling the mystery.

+1

Edited by Gotham Kid

2 hours ago, Tsp99 said:

I'm on it.  Not to far from where I live too.  Will report back.

apparently action252 has confirmed its a scam :(

47 minutes ago, Tsp99 said:

Make sense..... especially since I never heard back after I sent him an Ebay message....

I've not heard anything back yet either but it's only been a couple hours for me