• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PSAs and DNAs are they worth it?

21 posts in this topic

I assume you are talking about PSA DNA.  It has a purpose.  Any signature authentication that is not signed is an educated guess, but handwriting does have patterns.  I'd be far more inclined to purchase a signature with PSA DNA authentication than one without.

20 minutes ago, kav said:

I feel the exact opposite-with such COA I just assumed the item is a fraud.

I'm Not sure what PSA DNA is.... I've seen psa-dna seems like with ball cards.....graded idk if that is the same thing or not

what about say an Iron Man Helmet and one of those tamper-proof stickers going 'round??

I've often thought about getting my guitar signed idk for fun, too expensive though, and wouldn't I look silly carrying that around a con lol 

too bad that only CGC is approved or some such thing 

can't win'em all

2 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Really? Why?  Because autograph authenticators aren't perfect, unlike comic grading companies?

there's not perfect and then there's evaluating a James Earl Jones autograph and labeling it the handiwork of James Earl Ray, Martin Luther King Jr.'s assassin.

CGC has made similar mistakes.  Once in awhile something slips through quality control.  If someone in an alternative newspaper somewhere wanted to bash comic grading companies, they have quite a few boners to choose from.

2 minutes ago, shadroch said:

CGC has made similar mistakes.  Once in awhile something slips through quality control.  If someone in an alternative newspaper somewhere wanted to bash comic grading companies, they have quite a few boners to choose from.

The sheer volume of boners and types of boners is beyond all scope of accident though:
http://haulsofshame.com/blog/?p=26228

I was just about to use the word boners in another thread but thought it wouldn't escape the mods. Glad we all can accept a few boners but not a lot of the, I'm looking at you psadna boners

I cant remember if it's on that link or another one I read where several people witnessed Spence authenticating items he didn't even look at.

I actually know a lot of the guys who worked for or used to work for PSA/DNA. In my other life im an autograph collector and authenticator (for a very specific field only). I would trust PSA/DNA over JSA, and both over GAI. Its just an opinion by an expert with years of experience for those who want that advice. Additionally i have personally seen them turn down authenticating multiple pieces at shows, they dont just stamp everything.

They make mistakes, all certification firms in all hobbies do that. I however know i trust an item tagged by them a LOT more than i would a raw piece I had no personal expertise in.

15 hours ago, oakman29 said:

The way I look at it is. If I personally didn't witness, or approach a celebrity for an autograph, it's not a legitimate autograph.

So we are still part of England?

35 minutes ago, shadroch said:

So we are still part of England?

Dont be silly. I just feel that there are way too many fake signatures out there, whether they be celebrities or comic creators. I tend to just trust myself.