• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quick NYC Trip with family
2 2

20 posts in this topic

All,

I'm off to NYC with the family for four nights. A trip to a baseball game is out of the question this trip (unfortunately), but I might be able to squeeze in something comic related. Suggestions welcome about food, comic shops, off the beaten path museums et al are welcome. :foryou:

I've been many times before but this will be a first for the kids. 

Thanks,

John

PS: Looking forward to visiting a nice deli for a pastrami on rye!

Edited by piper

10 minutes ago, piper said:

All,

I'm off to NYC with the family for four nights. A trip to a baseball game is out of the question this trip (unfortunately), but I might be able to squeeze in something comic related. Suggestions welcome about food, comic shops, off the beaten path museums et al are welcome. :foryou:

I've been many times before but this will be a first for the kids. 

Thanks,

John

PS: Looking forward to visiting a nice deli for a pastrami on rye!

Closest thing to a comic shop is down in the Greenwich Village area. 

3 hours ago, shadroch said:

Where are you staying, and how old are the kids?

11 & 8. 12th East and 31st Street (near Empire State Building). I got a pretty good rate for Manhattan.

Not sure how to parse that address but if you're near the Empire State Building, Jim Hanley's Universe is right around there, as is Korea Town which has all sorts of great Korean Food. I'd recommend Kang Ho Dong Baekjeong or BCD Tofu House. Pretty much anything you get there will be good.

If the kids like chicken wings there's Bonchon Chicken which is around there too.

Edited by feder241

+1 on the Koreatown food.  Korean chicken wings are really good, I like Bonchon on 5th and 32nd street (there's a $1 slice pizza place a few doors down too if you want some cheap carbs!).  Bonus is the mostly good JHU comic shop just around the corner.

Comic shops - stay away from Forbidden planet.  It's just new issues and toys.  There's real comic shops in the village and you can avoid this mess.

For kids, Gulliver's Gate in Times Square is a large display of miniatures, I just checked and there's some special on their site.  https://gulliversgate.com/

A little further uptown on the upper west side is the always-great Natural History Museum with its planetarium and big dinosaur exhibit.  A crowd pleaser.

Edited by GM8

2 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Trip to Metropolis's offices is always fun. Their located not to far from the Empire State Building and have some unbelievable art in the gallery. 

Yes, if you collect older comics, check out your want list vs Metropolis' online inventory.  Order the particular books you want, and then set a time to pick them up at their offices.  Metropolis does not have a store front; you can only get in by appointment but I am told the art on their walls is breathtaking.

M&M factory in Times Square is fun for the whole family.

Eat at Ellen's Stardust Diner.  Around 50th and 7th/Broadway. The food isn't the best, or sometimes even very good, but the experience more than makes up for it.

Governors Island is a hidden gem.

Edited by shadroch

I just got back from 4 days in NYC. First time there. Wasn't looking for comics but did stumble across Forbidden Planet and found a few bargain TPBs in their sale section. Tried all the food, had some great bagels at Ess-a-bagel and some terrible hot dogs at a joint whose name eludes me, but the best eating experience we had was at Juliana's Pizza, just on the other side of the Brooklyn Bridge. We walked across the bridge to get there and then took the NYC ferry back to midtown. (thumbsu

Midtown Comics' midtown location is relatively close to your hotel as well, over on 40th street and 7th ave, it's about a 10 to 15 walk.

I personally think the Top of the Rock (the top of Rockefeller Center) has the best views in the city, as you can see Central Park, the Empire State Building, and the World Trade Center, but I hear that the WTC has a very cool elevator ride up.

I'm confused about where you say you are staying. What is 12th east? do you mean 12th avenue? Will you be visiting any boroughs outside of Manhattan?

Have you ever been to NYC before? Avoid Times Square other than to see it lit up at night. It's amazing and you'll never forget it and then you can go do other stuff.

Pastrami and very good cheesecake:

http://www.sargesdeli.com/locations.html

really good and in midtown so not too far from you by subway

or

http://eisenbergsnyc.com/home/  also not far from you by subway and right by the Flatiron building.

I don't know why someone would say there is only one comic shop in New York City? Take the kids to Midtown Comics times square, even if just to gawk. The store is neat-0. Metropolis Comics is indeed really cool to see for the original art decorating pretty much every inch of wall space. Be sure to check out their bathroom if they'll let you. The place is epic, actually.

There is also JHU comics in Midtown near the Empire State building.

In the East Village there is St. Marks Comics.

In the West Village there is Mysterious Time Machine.

A trip on the subway to Coney Island is something your kids should enjoy. Take the B train, it'll take you over the East River on the Manhattan Bridge [the view is great]. When in Coney Island you should check out the Cyclone roller coaster [one the oldest wooden roller coasters]. You can take a walk on the Boardwalk, check out the Aquarium and try some Nathan's hot dogs and fries.

Edited by Tony D
spelling mistake

20 minutes ago, speedcake said:

I'm confused about where you say you are staying. What is 12th east? do you mean 12th avenue? Will you be visiting any boroughs outside of Manhattan?

Have you ever been to NYC before? Avoid Times Square other than to see it lit up at night. It's amazing and you'll never forget it and then you can go do other stuff.

Pastrami and very good cheesecake:

http://www.sargesdeli.com/locations.html

really good and in midtown so not too far from you by subway

or

http://eisenbergsnyc.com/home/  also not far from you by subway and right by the Flatiron building.

I don't know why someone would say there is only one comic shop in New York City? Take the kids to Midtown Comics times square, even if just to gawk. The store is neat-0. Metropolis Comics is indeed really cool to see for the original art decorating pretty much every inch of wall space. Be sure to check out their bathroom if they'll let you. The place is epic, actually.

There is also JHU comics in Midtown near the Empire State building.

In the East Village there is St. Marks Comics.

In the West Village there is Mysterious Time Machine.

I've been many times but this will be my first trip with the kids.  Our hotel is between Park and Madison (Hotel Chandler). What I provided is apparently the address.

We plan to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge for Pizza in Dumbo.  I was thinking Grimaldi's but might try Juliana's instead. It's possible that we pop into West Queens to see some friends but think our focus will be Manhattan.  I've never been to Harlem and need to do that one day.

As for Pastrami and Cheesecake.... Yum! I've been to both Carnegie (closed?) and Katz.  We will absolutely go to a New York deli this trip.

Best chicken wings you will ever have in your life is in Carmine's in Times Square.

Be prepared for a long wait during peak hours.

Everyone I've ever taken (New Yorkers and non-New Yorkers) agree, the best wings ever.

3 hours ago, piper said:

I've been many times but this will be my first trip with the kids.  Our hotel is between Park and Madison (Hotel Chandler). What I provided is apparently the address.

We plan to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge for Pizza in Dumbo.  I was thinking Grimaldi's but might try Juliana's instead. It's possible that we pop into West Queens to see some friends but think our focus will be Manhattan.  I've never been to Harlem and need to do that one day.

As for Pastrami and Cheesecake.... Yum! I've been to both Carnegie (closed?) and Katz.  We will absolutely go to a New York deli this trip.

Grimaldi's  :cloud9: