• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clink auction is live right now

97 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, cloud cloddie said:

There is an easy answer. Open the auctions back up. Which is what Clink is doing. (shrug)

it seems clear your issue is with sniping, not with Clink. It is the nature of set auctions. To rail at Clink for fixing a problem on their end the best they can, regardless of the habits of bidders, seems pointless. 

I'm not railing at anyone - like I said, I have no skin in the game, but I do have a problem with an auction company loudly endorsing the practice of sniping. 

I'm surprised I'm the only one. But I'll drop it if the discussion is annoying - that isn't my intention.

Just now, SquareChaos said:

I'm not railing at anyone - like I said, I have no skin in the game, but I do have a problem with an auction company loudly endorsing the practice of sniping. 

I'm surprised I'm the only one. But I'll drop it if the discussion is annoying - that isn't my intention.

It's not annoying and you don't have to drop your position, just understand there are differences between the way clink and say, a live heritage auction operates and that's basically it.  

Another "no skin in the game" chiming in: personally, I would've felt better with CL's decision if they responded more in real time and reopened the auctions last night after the other lots ended. Reopening the auctions 24 hours after the fact just seems to me to go beyond leveling the playing field. Obviously, the problem is that there's no perfect solution.

11 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

Not annoying at all. I see your points on this. It's just the train is so far out of the station on sniping (given that the worlds largest online auction house, eBay, has been running on that same system for over 20 years now) that the 'drop dead auction ending' is a part of the terra firma of online bidding for so many people I doubt they ever think about it twice. 

4 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Not annoying at all. I see your points on this. It's just the train is so far out of the station on sniping (given that the worlds largest online auction house, eBay, has been running on that same system for over 20 years now) that the 'drop dead auction ending' is a part of the terra firma of online bidding for so many people I doubt they ever think about it twice. 

Nothing you've said is incorrect. Especially about eBay.

I do think we should think and talk about the mechanism's of the system(s) responsible for distributing a large portion of the total of all original art, and we should also demand transparency and fairness in those systems since, after all, they add 10% - 20% to the cost of playing the game.

Another avenue of thought is that it is in Comic Link's best FINANCIAL interest to reopen the bidding.  If the final sale price is higher they capture a larger selling fee.  Not implying that is why they would do that for that reason.

Edited by Lucky Baru

1 hour ago, SquareChaos said:

No worries. Not annoying. I just see your issue with sniping as something completely separate from what Clink is doing by reopening auctions. I don't see it as Clink endorsing sniping. 

And to be fair, I have no issue with sniping. Just part of the auction process. 

40 minutes ago, cloud cloddie said:

No worries. Not annoying. I just see your issue with sniping as something completely separate from what Clink is doing by reopening auctions. I don't see it as Clink endorsing sniping. 

And to be fair, I have no issue with sniping. Just part of the auction process. 

I have no issue with snipping. Just glad that I'm not one of the winners who had it yanked away because the system Comiclink has in place failed them. 

I don't gamble. Anyone know what happens in blackjack when the dealer screws up the cards? Does the house pay out or just redeal? 

2 hours ago, rotembk said:

Another "no skin in the game" chiming in: personally, I would've felt better with CL's decision if they responded more in real time and reopened the auctions last night after the other lots ended. Reopening the auctions 24 hours after the fact just seems to me to go beyond leveling the playing field. Obviously, the problem is that there's no perfect solution.

CLink is doing it the right way.  They could have reopened the lots last night, but people who were bidding might easily have tuned out after winning or not winning the lots in question and have been oblivious to the reopening.  By getting the word out this morning and leaving plenty of time for people to get in their bids today, they made the best of a bad situation. 

2 hours ago, robert frey said:

true, but how about the people who specifically cleared their calendars to be available last night and now find they can't tonight?

They can always proxy bid instead today/tonight.  Better this minor inconvenience,  which still allows people to bid if they really want to, than risk people being oblivious to a reopening had they done it last night. 

I am neither a bidder or consignor of any of the lots in question.  Just a vote of approval/confidence in CLink for reaching the best possible solution in this case. 

2 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

I agree it is a bad situation, empowered by a flawed system to begin with.

I don't necessarily disagree that putting the items back up again "only" hurts the "winners", my argument centers around the fact that the availability issue only hurt people that choose to snipe, thereby making this decision by Clink a wholehearted official endorsement of what is supposed to be an inherently risky practice to begin with. 

???

Which auction format exactly are you calling for when this type of situation occurs to prevent it for happening?

Just now, NinjaSealed said:

Comicconnect does that, and they have had the same issue occur to them and they did the same thing Clink did.

I've tried to be clear throughout that I find issue with how the decision casts implicit confirmation on the practice of sniping, it isn't solely about choosing to open items back up to bidding. Though I'll also find it odd if they choose not to open up all items that were impacted by this routing problem for further bidding - why some and not others if the stated reason is to because people may have wanted to bid on them, but could not? It is an obvious positive from a business perspective - they make more money if an item sells for a higher price, the seller gets more money, and presumably some number of bidders get another chance.

On 6/7/2017 at 1:30 AM, fsumavila said:

I was the consignor on that piece ... I agree that the buyer got a good price. I hated to part with it, because it's such a beautiful Titans image, but other needs....

My 9 year-old daughter's first superhero comics were the first five books of the collected New Teen Titans, where this cover was published on #1. So to her, this is the cover to the first comic she'll ever remember reading. She loves Perez and draws Titans all the time, trying to imitate his style. I'll get this professionally framed and put up on her wall next to her Perez Wonder Girl sketch and Sienkiewicz Raven.  

khi8Cdmr_2911151420531.jpgkrhK5J5D_1903162028191.jpg

1 hour ago, Sideshow Bob said:

My 9 year-old daughter's first superhero comics were the first five books of the collected New Teen Titans, where this cover was published on #1. So to her, this is the cover to the first comic she'll ever remember reading. She loves Perez and draws Titans all the time, trying to imitate his style. I'll get this professionally framed and put up on her wall next to her Perez Wonder Girl sketch and Sienkiewicz Raven.  

khi8Cdmr_2911151420531.jpgkrhK5J5D_1903162028191.jpg

Glad it went to the right home, then! and that Wonder Girl sketch is FANTASTIC!