• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clink auction is live right now

97 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, COMICLINK said:

All-

There was a pervasive outage starting around 8:54 or 8:55 Eastern and lasting for a few  minutes caused by a router problem at Level3, an Isp backbone in Virginia that our ISP relies on for service.

This affected many web sites and obviously our site and users bidding and logged in around this time period got thrown for a loop.

So to be fair we are going to reopen a small number of lots this evening. 

Since the topic of discussion came up here on the boards including a few prospective bidders, I thought I'd give you all a heads up.

Formal announcement to follow later this morning...

Good call!

53 minutes ago, Timely said:

Good call!

I have no dog in this fight, but why is it okay to reopen it ?

Didn't all of us have weeks of time to bid on this ? 

If you have to wait for the last minute, you have no time to react if something like this happens.

Also a major storm does not happen unannounced...just saying.

this is my take....

3 minutes ago, wurstisart said:

If you have to wait for the last minute, you have no time to react if something like this happens.

this is my take....

95% of the high end bidding happens in the last minute (and seconds) of Comiclink & ebay format auctions.

10 minutes ago, wurstisart said:

this is my take....

Those are valid points and I understand where you are coming from.

One thing to remember too, is that with auctions, a lot of bidders wait until the last few seconds to snipe. This gives very little, if any, time for other bidders to react. Thus increasing chances of winning. Unfortunately it's the nature of the beast.

Edited by DTM700

11 minutes ago, Timely said:

95% of the high end bidding happens in the last minute (and seconds) of Comiclink & ebay format auctions.

That is a potentially high risk / high reward strategy... well, it would be if CLINK wasn't rolling back the clock.

I see how they likely feel that they have little choice in this, they have to cater to the sellers or I imagine they'll have a lot of angry people that won't use their again. Maybe even lawsuits, who knows?

But I say, if you wait until the last minute to show your hand, it should be difficult for you to be angry when you fail to beat the clock... for whatever reason.

Just a few random thoughts regarding some pieces/prices that were interesting to me:

Adams Tec 400 page = 9.4K.  Seemed like a good purchase to me.

Andru ASM pages = Lower end of FMV

Brown Avengers 114p19 = $700.  Kind of cheap perhaps, for 1st full Mantis issue.

Byrne x-men 109= 17K.  This is where Alpha Flight and Wolverine's mysterious origin begins.  I would have thought a Canucklehead or two would have pushed this beyond $20K?

Cho hulk/she hulk cover= 3.9K.  I'm not a follower of Cho's art but it seems like prices for his work continue to decline.

keown hulk page = 2.1K.  This is only the second time that a Keown panel page has sold publicly for over $2K.  The first time was earlier this year on HA.  Interesting result for this page.

Andy Kubert Wizard 175 cover = $1.4K.  Cheap, I think.

Jimenez Xmen Liberators #1 cover =2.9k.  It's a nice looking cover, reminiscent of Mcfarlanes marvel tales cover, but I really made note of it because it's the most I've seen a Jimenez cover sell for.

Ken Kelly Conan painting = $2K.  Great image, size and published, too!  All this for a measly $2K?  Congrats to the buyer!

maguire JLI page = $200.  Yes, $200 for this awesome page from the very memorable giffen/dematteis/Maguire run! Bwah ha haa!

Ploog planet of the apes half splash = $450.  Well below FMV.  No monkeying around at this auction, I guess. ?

Sienk NM demon bear pages.  Not surprised at the prices, but perhaps a bit surprised at the gap in price between the two pages

Silvestri Avengers Assemble 1 variant cover (pencils only)=9.1K.  This one seemed like a big number to me, but I really don't follow Silvestri's modern art prices so is this in line with current prices?

starlin IM 55 Drax splash = 44.8k.  Yowza!

bill Ward art... prices definitely on the decline for his work.

BWS machine man panel page = $7.5K.  Mamma Mia!

RE: the reopening of certain auctions, hooray for the sellers, but I'm sure it stings for the current winners. Once a lot if closed, you have that sense of relief, phew, I won! Now they have to go through it all over again, and potentially lose the item they won fair and square. But I totally see the sellers' side as well, so I guess there's no perfect solution.

5 hours ago, COMICLINK said:

All-

There was a pervasive outage starting around 8:54 or 8:55 Eastern and lasting for a few  minutes caused by a router problem at Level3, an Isp backbone in Virginia that our ISP relies on for service.

This affected many web sites and obviously our site and users bidding and logged in around this time period got thrown for a loop.

So to be fair we are going to reopen a small number of lots this evening. 

Since the topic of discussion came up here on the boards including a few prospective bidders, I thought I'd give you all a heads up.

Formal announcement to follow later this morning...

Looks like they'll reopen 8 lots, including the Cockrum MF3 cover.

39 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

RE: the reopening of certain auctions, hooray for the sellers, but I'm sure it stings for the current winners. Once a lot if closed, you have that sense of relief, phew, I won! Now they have to go through it all over again, and potentially lose the item they won fair and square. But I totally see the sellers' side as well, so I guess there's no perfect solution.

Plus this was early on in the auction. If a bidder wins early he might not think he will have the funds for other items that he may have wanted. 

7 minutes ago, buyatari said:

Plus this was early on in the auction. If a bidder wins early he might not think he will have the funds for other items that he may have wanted. 

That is an excellent point.  No easy solution though.  :(

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Totally agree – no solution that doesn’t stink for either the buyer or seller. Surely this can’t be the first time something like this has happened. Anyone know if there is anything  documented procedure at CL? Or is this at CL discretion on a case by case basis?

3 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Just a few random thoughts regarding some pieces/prices that were interesting to me:

Byrne x-men 109= 17K.  This is where Alpha Flight and Wolverine's mysterious origin begins.  I would have thought a Canucklehead or two would have pushed this beyond $20K?

Sienk NM demon bear pages.  Not surprised at the prices, but perhaps a bit surprised at the gap in price between the two pages

BWS machine man panel page = $7.5K.  Mamma Mia!

On the Byrne, that page very recently sold at auction. I didn't expect it to do much better than last time.

On the Demon Bear pages, take another look at them. Page 13 isn't just superior in composition, it's actually got the Demon Bear on it. The other page has a local police officer possessed by the Demon Bear on it. Both really nice pages but page 13 (the one that went for more) is so utterly and completely the superior one. 

Reserve set at $7500...one bid was all it took. No one else above $5k, and that might have been the eventual buyer anyway. Impossible to guess. Someone really wanted it.

25 minutes ago, Matches_Malone said:

Bill Sienkiewicz's  NEW MUTANTS #20 PAGE 13 certainly did better thank I expected. 

It's the kind of page people go to the mat for. Really great. 

24 minutes ago, pinupcartooncollector said:

I don't think relatively low prices on lower-end examples of his work indicate any kind of trend.  A bunch of Wards all went for $1500 plus in the last HA action.

prior clink Ward auctions with similar quality pieces as the ones that closed yesterday sold for higher.

youre correct about the Ward's on HA selling for higher, however they are nicer and more appealing and deserved the higher prices

I'm a bit surprised to read that several people have an issue with ComicLink re-opening these few auction lots that were clearly affected by a type of "force majeure."

Some posts seem to be saying re-opening only is in the interest of the sellers and catering to them--but it also favors all the bidders who wanted to bid and who couldn't.  What about fairness to them?  The only person it directly hurts is each "winning" buyer, who a seller (and the other bidders who couldn't bid) could argue basically won on the equivalent of a technicality since their winning bid would otherwise not have won.  Weighing that against the interests of the sellers and the prospective bidders, I think fairness favors re-opening up those few lots. 

*Edit - By the way, I'm not affected--I didn't sell any of those lots or bid on any of those lots.

Edited by Ironmandrd