• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do older books receive higher grades?

10 posts in this topic

I have no experience with this but as an educated guess I would think fingerprints contain a certain amount of oil. So, you cannot wipe them off, maybe dab them off ? I would think it is analogous to getting some oil on your shirt. Trying to 'wash' it only spreads the oil around. I will let others give advise on what to use but I suspect some fingerprints should be left alone for fear of damaging the book.

I think Bomber-Bob must have meant for his post to have gone on some other topic LOL.... WHY the new boards do not allow us to delete comments is hard to comprehend. 

The short answer is the grading companies do grade more lenient on older books.  The longer answer is the grading companies don't really talk about that much.  IMHO it's reasonable to grade older books more leniently.  The books were printed on paper and quality control was more a vague theory than any actual standard.  Take Marvel chipping as an example. What kind of grade would you get on a book printed three years ago with a bunch of pieces missing from the outer edge? 

5 minutes ago, koollectablz said:

Yes they do, they also ignore slight restoration especially if they're pedigrees.

That's true, but the book has to be pre-1950, and they don't completely ignore it. The book can get a blue label, but the restoration will always be noted on the label. 

10 hours ago, Tony S said:

I think Bomber-Bob must have meant for his post to have gone on some other topic LOL.... WHY the new boards do not allow us to delete comments is hard to comprehend. 

For the record, I believe I responded to the OP's original question on how to remove fingerprints. However, he subsequently edited his original post and title to a completely different topic. Crazy. @Poppy, are you trying to make me look bad ? HaHa .

On 6/9/2017 at 10:03 PM, Bomber-Bob said:
On 6/9/2017 at 9:13 PM, poppy73 said:

Sorry bob. I realized I'd asked the same question twice so I edited it and asked another question. Your not crazy. 

:whee:I'm not crazy !!! (thumbsu

Can we a run a poll on this one before considering it a closed question? hm

On 6/9/2017 at 2:03 AM, Tony S said:

The short answer is the grading companies do grade more lenient on older books.  The longer answer is the grading companies don't really talk about that much.  IMHO it's reasonable to grade older books more leniently.  The books were printed on paper and quality control was more a vague theory than any actual standard.  Take Marvel chipping as an example. What kind of grade would you get on a book printed three years ago with a bunch of pieces missing from the outer edge? 

Click on "options" directly below your post, and select "hide". This effectively deletes your post; only you or the mods will be able to see it.