(attempted) Flip of the Day!
11 11

1,505 posts in this topic

But seriously, Conan art seems popular for attempted flips.  Here's another:

https://comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp%3Fpg%3D4&id=1175749

Sold for $650 last month.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-SAVAGE-SWORD-OF-CONAN-101-p32-ORIGINAL-COMIC-ART-Horror-gga-sleaze-cgc-/192207732267?hash=item2cc0793e2b:g:09gAAOSwX61ZNJBA

If you missed it then, you can buy it for $3,625 now!

And I love how the item description evolves from "erotically charged" to "sleaze".  Seems appropriate.  Best, Lee

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you missed out on this page on Comiclink Featured Auction a week ago for $1,200 end bid, you can now BIN it for $1,550:

http://comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp&id=1176515

http://comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsection.asp%3F_SORT%3DYES%26id%3D1398%26f1%3Di.LastUpdate%26ODire1%3DDESC%26f2%3Di.Publisher%26ODire2%3DDESC%26f3%3Di.IssueNumber%2C%2Bi.Genre%26ODire3%3DASC&id=1189298

Or this Wolverine #1 page, sold for $9,100 a week ago and now $11,325 BIN (correction, the seller must have thought $11,325 was too low, so they raised the price to an even $12K!)

http://comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp%3Fpg%3D2&id=1177601

http://comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsection.asp%3F_SORT%3DYES%26id%3D1398%26f1%3Di.LastUpdate%26ODire1%3DDESC%26f2%3Di.Publisher%26ODire2%3DDESC%26f3%3Di.IssueNumber%2C%2Bi.Genre%26ODire3%3DASC&id=1189299

Incredibly, the mark-ups are not 2x. As someone mentioned previously, clearly an amateur at work here.

Edited by lobrac
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, lobrac said:

If you missed out on this page on Comiclink Featured Auction a week ago for $1,200 end bid, you now BIN it for $1,550:

That's odd.  Were these actual sales, with the winner(s) immediately listing their Comiclink wins on Comiclink with a higher BIN price, or is something else going on?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Lee B. said:

That's odd.  Were these actual sales, with the winner(s) immediately listing their Comiclink wins on Comiclink with a higher BIN price, or is something else going on?

Yes, these were both sales in the last Featured Auction, which ended June 6.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The anonymity of buying on eBay and buying/selling on CLink allows people to do these sorts of things without any accountability.  Would they do the same thing if we knew who they were and they got the rep as a "make_mine_marvel jr."

 

It's there money, so who am I to judge. If they want to outbid everyone, raise the price and try to sell it a week later I applaud their gumption :tink:

It reminds me of the commercial where a guy wins a painting and he stands up and says, "I'd like to go ahead and sell now"

Edited by mister_not_so_nice
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, lobrac said:

Yes, these were both sales in the last Featured Auction, which ended June 6.

Possible they won too many items and are trying to unload some - without having to take physical posetion of the art.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't get the logic here- buying a piece of art in a fairly well known auction and then trying to flip it for 500% on the cesspool that is eBay? Anyone willing to drop 2.5k on OA should have the wherewithal to just buy it at clink and not let themselves get fleeced. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

I don't get the logic here- buying a piece of art in a fairly well known auction and then trying to flip it for 500% on the cesspool that is eBay? Anyone willing to drop 2.5k on OA should have the wherewithal to just buy it at clink and not let themselves get fleeced. 

One would think, but I've sold 2 mid-4 figure pages to people that didn't even know about CAF.

So it takes all kinds in this hobby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I find this to be a ridiculous thread.  A lot of people, whether they will admit it or not, "flip" their stuff.  Since this is a hobby, people keep what they want by selling other things, big deal.  Ebay is full of things found at garage sales, flea markets and other venues.  Why is this any different?  Why call out the seller as if he is doing any thing unethical or not completely common place.  If it were my listing, I surely wouldn't want such negative attention, especially if I'm just trying to feed my family or fund my hobby.........

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bobbyusc said:

I find this to be a ridiculous thread.  A lot of people, whether they will admit it or not, "flip" their stuff.  Since this is a hobby, people keep what they want by selling other things, big deal.  Ebay is full of things found at garage sales, flea markets and other venues.  Why is this any different?  Why call out the seller as if he is doing any thing unethical or not completely common place.  If it were my listing, I surely wouldn't want such negative attention, especially if I'm just trying to feed my family or fund my hobby.........

Any original art topic that people want to discuss here should be considered fair game.  Ridiculous or not.  No one said there is anything wrong with flipping.  But paying attention to it - as its being conducted on public websites and such is interesting stuff.  I just saw 3 items I sold at recent auctions pop up for sale on CAF and ebay at 3-7 times what they sold for.

If the new owner succeeds in selling at these higher prices with this little time passed - it will be a serious learning opprtunity for me.  I have no problem with others profitting.  It is just interesting to see.

Initially after the art I consigned sold at auction - I thought it went to a fan. Felt good knowing it went to a fan. Well I was wrong on who it went to.  It doesn't bother me as its not actually my business what the next owner does with the art. But I will say again - it is interesting.

That in a nutshell is why I enjoy reading this thread.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
11 11