• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this staple look rusted to you?
1 1

20 posts in this topic

Does this staple look rusted to you?

Notice how the lower staple looks a lot darker and thicker than the upper one? Seems unlikely the staple is rusty given the 9.6 grade and the white pages plus fresh appearance of the book, just looks a little odd to me. Opinions?

image.jpeg

Edited by Paul_Maul

It could be that it is raised a little bit, as in not as flat on the book?

or

It could be an optical allusion, as it is closer to the black from the front cover than the top staple :foryou:

I've seen a lot of optical illusions like that through the slab, or even in raw scans.

I have a 9.0 that has rusty staples.  When I called CGC for grader's notes (to see if it was pre or post slabbing) I was told they would never notate something like that in such a low grade book.

18 minutes ago, kav said:

I think its an optional illusion I put a sheet of paper right up to the edge blocking out the slight miswrap and the staples look the same.

Makes sense. I've noticed these new slabs can really magnify certain areas, especially the bottom edge.

56 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Scanner artifact can create illusions so impossible to tell from a small scan.

I just got a CGC book that I bid way low on and won.  The reason I bid low, was it looked like it had a lot of flaws for the grade.  Anyway, in hand, all those flaws are gone.  Apparently, everything I was looking at were scanner artifacts.

:banana:

1 minute ago, lizards2 said:
59 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I just got a CGC book that I bid way low on and won.  The reason I bid low, was it looked like it had a lot of flaws for the grade.  Anyway, in hand, all those flaws are gone.  Apparently, everything I was looking at were scanner artifacts.

It happens.

Just now, VintageComics said:
59 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

It happens.

I'm thinking that's why not many bid.  Last GPA from last July was $180 (same book), and I got it for $57

10 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I was told they would never notate something like that in such a low grade book.

I thought I read they don't notate on high grade books because there's no point (like a 9.6 or 9.8)?  What's the sweet spot where they write something down?

1 hour ago, SteppinRazor said:
12 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I was told they would never notate something like that in such a low grade book.

I thought I read they don't notate on high grade books because there's no point (like a 9.6 or 9.8)?  What's the sweet spot where they write something down?

My take away was if any book is 9.0 or below (maybe 9.2), that they would never put rusty staples in the grader's notes.  So I guess you could expect that defect unnotated in such low grade books. 

I didn't really get it either - it did not make much sense.  It did make me very skeptical of grader's notes.

The book is covered with coffee stains and snot blasts, disgusting.

Oops, that's my office monitor, my bad.

Anyway, I've had some really nice BA books and then I notice the staple is oxidated, which is what i call discolored, but not full blown rusty/yucky, so it can happen.

1 hour ago, the blob said:

The book is covered with coffee stains and snot blasts, disgusting.

Oops, that's my office monitor, my bad.

That's my home monitor.  I always need to move the scans up and down to see what's in the scan and what's on my screen...., :blush:

On 2017-06-20 at 10:49 PM, SteppinRazor said:
On 2017-06-20 at 0:16 PM, lizards2 said:

There is no rule as to what they notate and what they don't. It changes depending on who is grading the books and how they feel that day.

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

There is no rule as to what they notate and what they don't. It changes depending on who is grading the books and who they feel that day.

As my Unca Howie says, "you're only as young as the girl you feel!"

6 minutes ago, Foley said:
5 hours ago, lizards2 said:

That's my home monitor

I knew you liked lizards, but aren't Monitors dangerous to keep at home?

not if you stroke them just right..., :cool:

8 minutes ago, Foley said:
5 hours ago, lizards2 said:

That's my home monitor

I knew you liked lizards, but aren't Monitors dangerous to keep at home?

not if you stroke them just right..., :cool:

If you need some extra cash, there's always this option:

http://www.hindustantimes.com/world-news/dried-lizard-penises-from-india-being-sold-as-rare-plant-root-that-brings-good-luck/story-F3hGHGWP2ACXgm0rUgDLwJ.html