• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver and Bronze Prototypes

13 posts in this topic

I've been on some months now but don;t recall seeing much on this. Just stumbled on this image - could be considered a Werewolf By Night prototype? Think it will be fun to start posting some of the precusors to the better known characters!

PS - this is a NEW new website - one created by a friend - bypassing the Yahoo. So again - please let me know if you see the image? If only one can see it then all can. Thank you!

Werewolf By Night Prototype

could be considered a Werewolf By Night prototype?

I should think so, its pretty close to being the exact same character. Time for Overstreet to revise the first appearance of WBN....better sell that Marvel Spotlight PDQ. shocked.gifgrin.gif

Usually, in my experience prototypes are considerably different from the characters they inspire.

My favourite is the reverse prototype of Spider-Man from Journey Into Mystery #73. In the ish a Spider gets the powers of a human (how useful grin.gif ).

Even though it has the same title, it would just seem tough to call a pre-code book a prototype for a 70s character. I just think too much time had passed for that to have any real influence.

Who wrote the story in the Marvel Tales?

This idea is not original with me: believe I saw it first in one of Gary Carter's CBM issues, but here goes for some DC Silver Age prototypes:

mis17.jpg

which morphed into

jla19.jpg

And then there was

mis18.jpg

later,

jla22.jpg

Julie Schwartz was never one to let a good idea go under-utilized! wink.gif

Cheers,

Z.

This idea is not original with me: believe I saw it first in one of Gary Carter's CBM issues

By no means an original idea. Magneto, The Thing, Aunt May/Uncle Ben and a host of others have been cited by Overstreet for some years as prototype characters.

What I found intriquing for this particular example was 1) it is a GA book 2) it reflects a Bronze Age character and 3) it is not mentioned by OS. So I'm hoping to hear from others who stumble upon obvious (and maybe not so obvious) examples of character prototypes hetetofore unsung in the annals of Overstreet.

Hey pov, just to be clear, I was speaking of the similarities I posted between the MIS and JLA covers: it has either been featured in Overstreet or CBM or both, but others here may not have seen it yet, and your interesting Werewolf by Night find prompted me to post them.

Here's another pair (did Julius Schwartz edit Sensation Mystery, or did he do a friendly swipe from one of his fellow DC editors?)

sc109.jpg

jla10.jpg

Cheers,

Z.

MENACE#5 has the story ZOMBIE, and the beautifully rendered splash panel was the inspiration for Simon Garth in TALES OF THE ZOMBIE. Marvel even used an updated version of that splash for their ads for TALES...