• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Very bad day today...2 speeding tickets! In ONE day! DOH!

14 posts in this topic

Ok, so at around 11:30 P.M. my sister called me with computer problems. I went down there (20 miles each way, through downtown Columbus) and

was cruising pretty fast on the way back. All of a sudden my Laser/Radar detector reads "LASER"...oh [!@#%^&^]...

So, I get a ticket for going 85 in a 65, plus an additonal fine for not wearing a seatbelt. $110 bucks. Not too bad. I was only 1 mile from home, and it was around 2:00 A.M.

Fast forward to later tonight (same day). New girlfriend comes by, and we go for a nice Mexican dinner. Again, 1/2 mile from my house, different road. I thought the speed limit was 45 or 50, and I was going 54. BAD IDEA! Speed limit was only 40. I explained to the cop that I had just gotten one that morning, and if he could, please give me some slack.

He wasn't having any of it. 2nd ticket was 54 in a 40, and the fine was $117. GRRRR...! No speeding tickets for 3 years, and I get 2 in one day. The cop handed me the ticket and said "You have a beautiful powerful car; it's probably hard for you to not speed".

The story gets better. So, we're driving back from dinner, and we hear a strange noice. Flat tire, rear left. Of course it was raining, so I went to the nearest location I could think of (Car wash) to change it. Of course, the car was was right by a set of railroad tracks, and a train came. Then the train came to a complete stop on the tracks, and I was first in line. An hour later the tire was changed, and I come home to find the war started with Iraq.

Anyone else have a good Wednesday?

Good grief.

You may want to invest in a better radar detector, I've been using a Valentine One for almost a year now and it blows away the past detector I had. Quicker warnings, shows how many radar (bogies). Free upgrades. It's pricey but it is easily the best detector on the market.

Btw, I don't know if they have this where you are but if you get 3 speeding tickets within a certain timeframe you lose your license for a period of time.

Brian

P.S. What kind of car do you have?

The first one was sort of funny, as I've sped like crazy since I bought this car over a year ago (98 Lexus GS300) and I can't believe I finally get tickets 2 times when I wasn't consciously "speeding". If that makes sense.

2 things have me upset about it:

1. $237 in fines in one day. Could've gotten a pretty nice golden age book for that kind of money.

2. Once more speeing ticket within a year, and I lose my license for 60 days. And I'm someone who's absolutely never been in any kind of trouble.

Actually, Murph, I have a Bel 980, which is a pretty good radar detector. The first guy hit me with laser, which no detector will save you from if it's just yourself and the cop on the road. The second one I wasn't paying attention and was listening to my girlfriend tell me a juicy story about the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons she works with. You're right though, no question the Valentine One is the best, but even it wouldn't have saved me.

By the way, I have my share of tickets. Right now I have 9 demerits on my license and they are all from speeding. I have an opportunity to get down to 5 if I can just behave myself till mid June. (Drive without convictions for one year gets your demerits down.)

You really have to pay attention to the speed limit, and I don't know about over there, but over here the police tend to leave you alone if you only travel 6 or 7 miles per hour over the limit. So if that's the case, DON"T depend on that buffer. Travel what the limit is. If you use that buffer, it will come back and haunt you.

Also, if you don't know what the limit is for sure, assume it's the lowest. If you're wrong, you still don't get that third ticket.

Now, if you don't want to follow this advise, ya' might make it anyway. Good luck.

Actually, Murph, I have a Bel 980, which is a pretty good radar detector.

You know, I've been through Bel and Valentine (among others... damn things get stolen a lot when you have a convertible... lol) and I have to say that the best one I ever owned was a Radio Shack. I'm not kidding. It was so great, and cheeeeeeap! I got it for $90 because they were having one of their constant "model closeout" sales. Granted, that's the only thing I've ever purchased from Radio Shack, but it was a fantastic detector! wink.gif

The speeding bothers me a bit (having been rear-ended just last week), but guys, wear your seatbelts! I'm a personal injury lawyer and I spend a lot of my time going over police reports and medical records and those seatbelts will either (1) keep you alive, or (2) offer protection against serious injury. Getting in an accident is no fun, but getting in an accident and then being ejected from the car and breaking your neck is less fun. Plus, it makes my job A LOT harder. shocked.gif

So wear your seatbelt. And if you choose not to, change your will and name me as the beneficiary of your comic books. grin.gif