• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The most significant Silver Age key between 1965 - 1969 Poll Added - Located at the top of first page
2 2

The most significant Silver Age key between 1965 - 1969  

72 members have voted

1. 1. What's the most significant Silver Age key between 1965 - 1969? Part 1

• Tec 359
    • Showcase 55
    • Showcase 60
    • Brave & the Bold 85
    • Strange Adventures 180
    • Strange Adventures 205
    • Silver Surfer 1
    • Silver Surfer 3
    • Captain America 100
    • Captain America 117
    • Iron Man 1
    • Doctor Strange 169
    • Submariner 1
    • Hulk 102
    • Vampirella 1
    • Batman 181
    • Avengers 57
    • Fantastic Four 48
    • Zap Comix 1
    • Daredevil 7
  2. 2. What's the most significant Silver Age key between 1965 - 1969? Part 2

• Amazing Spider-Man 33
    • Amazing Spider-Man 39
    • Amazing Spider-Man 40
    • Amazing Spider-Man 50
    • Tales to Astonish 70
    • Fantastic Four 45
    • Fantastic Four 51
    • Fantastic Four 52
    • Fantastic Four 67
    • House of Mystery 174
    • House of Secrets 81
    • Green Lantern 40
    • Strange Tales 135
    • Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane 70
    • Star Trek
    • Thunder Agents 1
    • Captain Atom 83
    • Astro Boy 1
    • Lobo 1
    • Thor 165
  3. 3. The most significant Silver Age key between 1965 - 1969: Final Round

• Fantastic Four 48
    • Fantastic Four 52

102 posts in this topic

Bravo, great post.

In regards to considering certain first appearances as "keys", I think more weight should absolutely be put on the character's long-term body of work as well as impact in their respective universe. Not too long ago there was a thread in Copper to realign the Top 50 for the upcoming year. I was amazed at how many books had launched into the list in the previous year or so based purely on sudden movie hype, characters that had languished in mediocrity until the previous year, then all of the sudden become a Top 50 Key. Well, in retrospect it just seemed laughable (to me) that they'd ever made it on there considering their 15 minutes of movie fame had come and gone with little impact. Naturally, some of the books being suggested as new candidates were based on, again, potential or actual upcoming crossover media appearances. Some level-headedness really needs to balance the hype or the polls simply become a fleeting snapshot of speculation. I'm always willing to hear arguments from those who were reading/collecting at that time when considering a book's importance in addition to considering those who look back through the crystal ball of hindsight and can weigh the overall body of work for a character more pragmatically. There needs to be both objectivity and subjectivity involved, but it seems the voices with money on the table sometimes shout loudest.

In regards to the covers, I will say that I think there's some kind of old school street cred earned for looking down on the cover-collector as one-dimensional, but CGC didn't create or cause this. Overstreet and others have long lauded the "classic cover" designation so CGC simply carried this over on their notations, but this has been a thing for as long as I can remember. And I often go back to comparing this hobby with any art such as painting or sculpture: There's absolutely nothing wrong with placing significance on a beautiful, creative, well-executed piece of art.

Ok- so I can't start another poll in this thread with one already opened. I wanted to start a final round between the winner of each part: FF 48 v FF 52. However, FF 48 looks like the big winner so I'm not sure if final round between these great books is necessary? Let me know.