• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The most significant Silver Age key between 1965 - 1969 Poll Added - Located at the top of first page
2 2

The most significant Silver Age key between 1965 - 1969  

72 members have voted

1. 1. What's the most significant Silver Age key between 1965 - 1969? Part 1

• Tec 359
    • Showcase 55
    • Showcase 60
    • Brave & the Bold 85
    • Strange Adventures 180
    • Strange Adventures 205
    • Silver Surfer 1
    • Silver Surfer 3
    • Captain America 100
    • Captain America 117
    • Iron Man 1
    • Doctor Strange 169
    • Submariner 1
    • Hulk 102
    • Vampirella 1
    • Batman 181
    • Avengers 57
    • Fantastic Four 48
    • Zap Comix 1
    • Daredevil 7
  2. 2. What's the most significant Silver Age key between 1965 - 1969? Part 2

• Amazing Spider-Man 33
    • Amazing Spider-Man 39
    • Amazing Spider-Man 40
    • Amazing Spider-Man 50
    • Tales to Astonish 70
    • Fantastic Four 45
    • Fantastic Four 51
    • Fantastic Four 52
    • Fantastic Four 67
    • House of Mystery 174
    • House of Secrets 81
    • Green Lantern 40
    • Strange Tales 135
    • Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane 70
    • Star Trek
    • Thunder Agents 1
    • Captain Atom 83
    • Astro Boy 1
    • Lobo 1
    • Thor 165
  3. 3. The most significant Silver Age key between 1965 - 1969: Final Round

• Fantastic Four 48
    • Fantastic Four 52

102 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, Unca Ben said:

Hey, it's possible Huey Newton had seen or read the FF Black Panther story and he used that as inspiration to name his group.  That would be significant.  Who Knows?  The comics could have been laying around his or Bobby Seale's houses at the time.

That would be interesting....

Either way, I suppose on second thought I wouldn't dial that position back all that much...he is still the first major black superhero introduced in Marvel's flagship title, an African King hero rolled out in the mid-60's. It's still the Jackie Robinson book for comics, and the relationship between the character name and gang name may be interesting but ultimately is not difference-making in the comic's role in comic book history.

But the relationship between the names if any is interesting. hm

11 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

If so, try to arrange it so that voters can vote for multiple issues. I think FF 48 is the clear leader, but it would be nice to see how a Top 5 would shake out.

How can I do that other than the traditional poll where a participating boardies can only vote once for a book on the current list that's been compiled? We will see what the top 5 are. Are you suggesting that there be a second round for the top 5?

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 9:05 AM, Unca Ben said:

Amazing Spider-Man #33 -hands down the greatest Spidey issue ever, and my personal favorite comic book ever.  All of Ditko's previous Spider-Man stories were leading up to this.  This issue personified why Spider-Man was such a hit; the series is really about the person behind the mask, not the costumed superhero  or his super powers - but the hero's journey of the man behind the mask.  (Which is made even more interesting since Spider-Man is the only Marvel hero of the time to have his face completely covered -yet it's Peter Parker who is really the driving force of the series).

Mebbe this issue isn't considered a key by many , but in my opinion it should be.
A seamless integration of story with a master lesson in sequential art.  An entire comic book art lesson could revolve around this issue alone.  Eisner would be proud.

Very well stated! Your passion for this issue comes shining through. It reminds me why FF 51 is held in similar high esteem for a defining issue of one of the big runs.

It just seems a bit of a shame that the term "key" is mostly assigned to books that are first issues or first appearances of a character, and by default any books that are superb examples of story and art are relegated to a lower position.
This results in an outstanding example of the artform being of less importance than "number one issues" or "first appearances" - even if the content of these books are relatively  mediocre.  This doesn't do the comic book medium any favors. (IMO)

Edited by Unca Ben

1 hour ago, Unca Ben said:

It just seems a bit of a shame that the term "key" is mostly assigned to books that are first issues or first appearances of a character, and by default any books that are superb examples of story and art are relegated to a lower position.
This results in an outstanding example of the artform being of less importance than "number one issues" or "first appearances" - even if the content of these books are relatively  mediocre.  This doesn't do the comic book medium any favors. (IMO)

I had a discussion with another boardie about how books like Marvel Tales 1 and DC Origins 1 are overlooked by many collectors despite the important role these reprints had in providing readers, especially kids, with stories that were in the first appearance books (aka SA keys) that hit the newsstands before they had any idea about them. These reprints might be found at the bottom of collector's want list. ASM 33 and FF 51 are keys (Overstreet defines FF 51 as a classic story). Both books have classic covers imho but the advanced SA collector understands the nuances that come along with defining the keys. The less informed collector with time, patience, and a passion for the hobby will eventually get the essence of "classic story keys." The speculators haven't yet figured a way out to exploit these types of keys since there's no movie, tv show, video game, and collectible underwear required as a prerequisite to pimp these books.  The important thing is that lesser informed collectors are made aware of the classic story keys and develop an understanding that there's more to defining a key than the usual stuff that drives a market infested with superficial speculators and investors who look at these books like stocks and commodities.

Edited by bronze johnny

2 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

I had a discussion with another boardie about how books like Marvel Tales 1 and DC Origins 1 are overlooked by many collectors despite the importance role these reprints had in providing readers, especially kids, stories that were in the first appearance books (aka SA keys) and hit the newsstands before kids had any idea about them. These reprints and might be found at the bottom of collector's want list. ASM 33 and FF 51 are keys (Overstreet defines FF 51 as a classic story). Both books have classic covers imho but the advanced SA collector understands the nuances that come along with defining the keys. The less informed collector with time, patience, and a passion for the hobby will eventually get the essence of "classic story keys." The speculators haven't yet figured a way out to exploit these types of keys since there's nonmovie, tv show, video game, and collectible underwear required as a prerequisite to pimp these books.  The important thing is that lesser informed collectors are made aware of the classic story keys and develop an understanding that there's more to defining a key than the usual stuff that drives a market infested with superficial speculators and investors who look at these books like stocks and commodities.

well said!  :applause:

(Sometimes I feel so alone... I need to realize that's an illusion)

Thankfully, DC and Marvel have been pretty aggressive about reprinting a lot of this material to make it more accessible than ever. As a reader and collector, when I run across a story I like in a reprint volume, I almost immediately want to pick up the original issue. I've actually been trying to track down the Marvel Masterworks Spideys covering the 30's and 120's just because so many boardies have consistently sung the praises of these runs (naturally, they're not cheap) that I'm dying to see what the hubbub is about. Same thing with the Starlin cosmic stuff. That's part of what makes such a well-rounded "community" great (thumbsu

2 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

Look on the bright side. At least this phenomenon results in subject examples being more affordable and available to folks that appreciate them....

On 7/3/2017 at 9:55 AM, bronze johnny said:
Updated list:

Tec 359

SC 55 & 60

BB 85

Strange Adventures 180 & 205

Silver Surfer 1 & 3

Cap America 100 & 117

Iron Man 1

Doctor Strange 169

Submariner 1

Hulk 102

Vampirella 1

House of Mystery 174

House of Secrets 81

GL 40

Strange Tales 135

Lois Lane 70

Batman 181

Avengers 57

Daredevil 7

ASM 33, 39, 40, & 50

TTA 70

Zap Comix 1

FF 45, 48, 51, 52, 67

Narrow list.  All DC and Marvel (except the Zap).  Anyone collect other publishers?  How about:

Star Trek 1

THUNDER Agents 1

Captain Atom 83

Astro Boy 1

Lobo 1

All of the above are important comics.  There are others from the non-Big 2.

On 6/29/2017 at 7:29 AM, bronze johnny said:

What's the single most significant Silver Age key to hit the newsstands between January 1, 1965 and December 31, 1969?  

The maximum number of choices for the poll is 20.

We have 39 recommendations. We can either knock the list down to 20 or do two polls.

What does everyone suggest? Should we have a poll to see what to do?

2 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

The maximum number of choices for the poll is 20.

We have 39 recommendations. We can either knock the list down to 20 or do two polls.

What does everyone suggest? Should we have a poll to see what to do?

Do 2 polls.  Take the top 10 from each poll for a playoff round.