• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do You Think Books Present Better....

35 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Here's a couple of examples.

IMG_20170703_090520.JPG

They look cool @oakman29

I dabbled with toploaders for a spell but I didn't like the fact that you had to put the book in a boarded sleeve first, to stop it going 'wavy' in the loader. Also, I found the toploaders gathered dust no matter how well you stored them. When you hold them up to the light, there can be all manner of things in them!

But I have to say they look great in your picture. 

29 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

They look cool @oakman29

I dabbled with toploaders for a spell but I didn't like the fact that you had to put the book in a boarded sleeve first, to stop it going 'wavy' in the loader. Also, I found the toploaders gathered dust no matter how well you stored them. When you hold them up to the light, there can be all manner of things in them!

But I have to say they look great in your picture. 

I don't know what you mean by wavy, they are fine. Also as far as dust is concerned, maybe that's a cleanliness issue not the toploader.meh

35 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I don't know what you mean by wavy, they are fine. Also as far as dust is concerned, maybe that's a cleanliness issue not the toploader.meh

I've just sacked the cleaner. 

2 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

Back again @jcjames !

Here are some pictures to bring it to life. I used 'regular' backing boards - 3 of them together made the finished product look and feel slab like and offered great protection. The two Mylite2's rationale was to ensure the comic only touched inert mylar. I stored many comics against a backing board within a Mylite2 once and a few years later found the boards had some yellowing, even on moderns. So I decided for my good stuff (i.e. my ASM run 1-700 plus all variants etc - around 2,000 comics) to go the extra mile. The additional Mylite2 inner meant I could add customised stickers when I wanted to show a particular variant type. Examples below. The sticker was on the inner Mylite2 so never touched the book, and never collected dust as it was then encased in the second Mylite2.

I would place each book in a full Mylite2 then carefully trim the Mylite so it covered the book with a 2mm overhang. That then went against the 3 boards and into the second Mylite2.

When I sold up, the number of buyers who contacted me to ask how I did it, and where I got the sleeves from etc was gratifying. A couple of my regulars adopted it as their favoured storage process.

See what you think - pictures don't really bring them to life but hopefully you can see enough to get the idea.

Cheers

138mjii.thumb.jpg.2e8e5531fa0ebe56ae8311e89ddfbdfe.jpg

177pizz.thumb.jpg.afab9eae4e9225464c90544cb3812712.jpg

177pizzcgc.thumb.jpg.ace8986e1a3c4c78f1b3883ecb371015.jpg

184mjii.thumb.jpg.a5fdbaf821ab38d9fc1849658f87d46e.jpg

185mji.thumb.jpg.058d609e1171f2c479e4b3412d32a419.jpg

595a8b989a819_361detriplecoverbag.thumb.jpg.30fdec6e7cc403379f92fa8467559f79.jpg

599nes.jpg.220ccc4f62daf5a250e56eebf1c65164.jpg

595a8b9e556cd_CanadianSet1.thumb.jpg.e3654090fab1cccbc4a4f2c85100e5d3.jpg

Interesting approach, with the double-mylar. Thanks for the pics and description.

So the triple-backing boards keep the book snug enough inside  the inner mylar sleeve (when you say you trim it, I assume you mean you trim the two sides of the inner one so they are now open) so it doesn't slip out the side? Are they "regular" backing boards like BCW or are they e-gerber boards?

And I'm digging the custom labels on the variants, I've also done something similar with issue-specific info on some books, but I put the label on the back of the mylar. 

20170703_135859-1.jpg

I keep most in sleeves just for protection against anything, but comics all are better totally free of any plastic and naked to flip through and look at and feel and smell. I could care less about presenting a comic or what it's in. I also have hundreds of comics totally naked stacked neatly in photo boxes and other boxes, which probably horrifies most people, but there's nothing like going through a stack of old comics all free of any plastic and .

10 minutes ago, catman76 said:

I keep most in sleeves just for protection against anything, but comics all are better totally free of any plastic and naked to flip through and look at and feel and smell. I could care less about presenting a comic or what it's in. I also have hundreds of comics totally naked stacked neatly in photo boxes and other boxes, which probably horrifies most people, but there's nothing like going through a stack of old comics all free of any plastic and .

I feel the same way about the covers.  I tear them all off when the books come in.

1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

I feel the same way about the covers.  I tear them all off when the books come in.

Yup.

Covers are often misleading and not necessarily indicative of the quality of the art or story inside. 

Experience has shown that they are often inessential.

7 hours ago, catman76 said:

7 hours ago, lizards2 said:

5 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Yup.

Covers are often misleading and not necessarily indicative of the quality of the art or story inside. 

Experience has shown that they are often inessential.

I've taken it one step further by removing the covers whilst reading books on the loo. The covers double for toilet paper which helps to reduce the weekly shopping bill. Be warned though, the ink can transfer. This morning I'm going to work with the Green Goblin on my left cheek and Spidey on my right. I kind of like it. Let battle commence!

5 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

I've taken it one step further by removing the covers whilst reading books on the loo. The covers double for toilet paper which helps to reduce the weekly shopping bill. Be warned though, the ink can transfer. This morning I'm going to work with the Green Goblin on my left cheek and Spidey on my right. I kind of like it. Let battle commence!

Old newsprint comics would more than likely be better suited to the task than moderns with their less absorbent, very glossy paper stock, although it's a trade-off there between functionality and comfortable smoothness.  Never a perfect solution.

Then, speaking as someone with OCD, there's also the concern about cleanliness and how far down in grade you would go?  Would you trust anything less than a white-paged NM copy to make contact?   I wouldn't. 

To answer the OPs question I love the white background a nice backing board gives to make the colors pop with some mylar. With some of my tough GA books I double up its very sturdy and came from another board members idea almost looks framed. I love em and its crystal clear. Hard to argue how nice the books look in the new slabs though the plastic is so clear they really nailed it this time around.  As a GA collector I like that the book fills up most of the slab it just looks AWESOME almost like there is nothing there at all and you can view the back cover as well. Both are great. The old slabs many of which I have books in give almost a bluish hue to the book. My answer would be equal with new slab vs mylar as far as cover viewing pleasure is concerned. They both pop so can't go wrong with either. Your first book you posted looks awesome btw so if you love it keep it right like that. 

As you can see I like em all (these are all books by a publisher named Fox Feature Syndicate for those modern collectors out there reading this and want to dabble into Golden Age books someday)

32693206754_60238cb851_b.jpg

I just took this to show how clear that new slab is for those that don't own any yet

34905022323_25848c8e68_b.jpg

2 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Old newsprint comics would more than likely be better suited to the task than moderns with their less absorbent, very glossy paper stock, although it's a trade-off there between functionality and comfortable smoothness.  Never a perfect solution.

Then, speaking as someone with OCD, there's also the concern about cleanliness and how far down in grade you would go?  Would you trust anything less than a white-paged NM copy to make contact?   I wouldn't. 

Hence the old adage, "always choose high grade to avoid the rear abrade".

18 hours ago, jcjames said:

Interesting approach, with the double-mylar. Thanks for the pics and description.

So the triple-backing boards keep the book snug enough inside  the inner mylar sleeve (when you say you trim it, I assume you mean you trim the two sides of the inner one so they are now open) so it doesn't slip out the side? Are they "regular" backing boards like BCW or are they e-gerber boards?

And I'm digging the custom labels on the variants, I've also done something similar with issue-specific info on some books, but I put the label on the back of the mylar. 

20170703_135859-1.jpg

Aha! Another custom labeller! Well done @jcjames, I like it :headbang:

I used ComiCare backing boards. The inner Mylite2 was cut at the top and right hand side. The comics never slipped in the second Mylite2 as they're too snug. Here's a few more pictures I just took:

20170704_163107.thumb.jpg.3cb3f7bfacbf2c330b20a9969708153b.jpg

20170704_162852.thumb.jpg.80843172e252d4fda707850384269da7.jpg

20170704_163001.thumb.jpg.a46ef9d18803ee99b084567ca24448c4.jpg

20170704_163009.thumb.jpg.620beb5ddd2270db43fce6b993ce497a.jpg

20170704_163307.thumb.jpg.90ab6aee9ffbd8388cbfb2752e24a0a2.jpg

20170704_163352.thumb.jpg.082ac614aa31771cf74ad0d709a53f1e.jpg

1 hour ago, Marwood & I said:

Aha! Another custom labeller! Well done @jcjames, I like it :headbang:

I used ComiCare backing boards. The inner Mylite2 was cut at the top and right hand side. The comics never slipped in the second Mylite2 as they're too snug. Here's a few more pictures I just took:

20170704_163352.thumb.jpg.082ac614aa31771cf74ad0d709a53f1e.jpg

Most interesting! (thumbsu

Must cost a fortune though!