• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What happened to my CGC??!!!

35 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, joeypost said:

Just a suggestion. Might be a good idea to familiarize yourself with the hobby before diving in, because sometimes...the pool is empty.

Perhaps another 'newbie' pulling a prank on us ???? Sometimes these questions just can't be real, only meant to bait.

The book does not have "pressed areas" where the Newton rings (I prefer prism effect) are at. That optical distortion is just from two pieces of plastic (the inner well and outer well) touching each other. There is no pressure or pressing on the book itself. 

The spots you mention are tiny printing imperfections. Many a book has a few imperfections in printing.  9.8 is very high grade - but it's not perfect. There are two grades higher. 

I'm not sure why you keep asking about sending in the book without the label. As others have said, there is nothing to be gained from that.  The label is also sealed inside the holder and would be a fair amount of effort to get out. The case would be all busted up when done and if you are not experienced opening the case you might well damage the book. 

9.8 (Near Mint/Mint) is a "split" grade. The grade is in-between NM+ (9.6) and Mint (9.9/10) Not NM+ or Mint. NM/M 9.8  Right in the middle.  There are several other split grades. Good/Very Good (3.0) Very Good/Fine (5.0) Fine/Very Fine (7.0) and Very Fine/NM (9.0) 

Edited by Tony S

13 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Perhaps another 'newbie' pulling a prank on us ???? Sometimes these questions just can't be real, only meant to bait.

There are a few jokers in this place that might do this, for a fact...

10 hours ago, Tony S said:

The book does not have "pressed areas" where the Newton rings (I prefer prism effect) are at. That optical distortion is just from two pieces of plastic (the inner well and outer well) touching each other. There is no pressure or pressing on the book itself. 

The spots you mention are tiny printing imperfections. Many a book has a few imperfections in printing.  9.8 is very high grade - but it's not perfect. There are two grades higher. 

I'm not sure why you keep asking about sending in the book without the label. As others have said, there is nothing to be gained from that.  The label is also sealed inside the holder and would be a fair amount of effort to get out. The case would be all busted up when done and if you are not experienced opening the case you might well damage the book. 

9.8 (Near Mint/Mint) is a "split" grade. The grade is in-between NM+ (9.6) and Mint (9.9/10) Not NM+ or Mint. NM/M 9.8  Right in the middle.  There are several other split grades. Good/Very Good (3.0) Very Good/Fine (5.0) Fine/Very Fine (7.0) and Very Fine/NM (9.0) 

You know what? I gently pressed my CGC case where Newton Rings exist to check that these are really Newton Rings.

Then, the action that I behaved to check can damage my book?(I gently pressed diffrent areas about 10 times)

1 hour ago, Steve Evans said:

You know what? I gently pressed my CGC case where Newton Rings exist to check that these are really Newton Rings.

Then, the action that I behaved to check can damage my book?(I gently pressed diffrent areas about 10 times)

Yes, since you touched the case with human hands and "pressed" it a little, it needs to be resubmitted back to CGC and receive a black label cause now the book has been damaged by "pressing".  

Seriously man, put the book back in your collection, there's nothing wrong with it.  

Edited by Kevin76

Hello @Steve Evans ! I confess much understand of your plight.

Even the hardest newton rings cause upwards to price reflection.

If the press was in twice tandem, I would incline to agree but without appraisal the opposite can imply.

Best that your take to CGC and hope that he can overcome the ten presses by action intent?

Luck to your! ?

P.E. WTTFB!

6 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

Hello @Steve Evans ! I confess much understand of your plight.

Even the hardest newton rings cause upwards to price reflection.

If the press was in twice tandem, I would incline to agree but without appraisal the opposite can imply.

Best that your take to CGC and hope that he can overcome the ten presses by action intent?

Luck to your! ?

P.E. WTTFB!

(worship)

It does look as this was all in jest.... 

I've used up all of my likes for today... I didn't even know there was a limit to number of likes per day. Who thinks up such limits?

Edited by Tony S

On 7/4/2017 at 1:44 PM, Steve Evans said:

Yeah but I'm asking 'without label', Is that possible enough for my CGC to be graded lower than 9.8 just because of Pressed areas which caused by Newton Rings?

Newton Rings do not cause damage.  They are a result of two pieces of plastic touching each other.  That results in the optical oily rainbow effect.

8 hours ago, Tony S said:

(worship)

I've used up all of my likes for today... I didn't even know there was a limit to number of likes per day. Who thinks up such limits?

Why thank you @Tony S ☺

If I thought for one minute that the OP was genuine, I would have tried to help them. I don't believe in gratuitous newbie bashing, but we should always support the entertainers. 

As for the likes, you can always come back tomorrow and drop one off. You might find a glimmer of amusement here on the subject if you're ever bored enough:

Toodle-pip ?

8 hours ago, Tony S said:

(worship)

Why thank you @Tony S ☺

If I thought for one minute that the OP was genuine, I would have tried to help them. I don't believe in gratuitous newbie bashing, but we should always support the entertainers. 

As for the likes, you can always come back tomorrow and drop one off. You might find a glimmer of amusement here on the subject if you're ever bored enough:

Toodle-pip ?