• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Many Ashcan Copies Exist Of Different Books?

226 posts in this topic

Mark:

I think they just missed it. I'm sure they'd add it if you sent it back, but I don't think it's necessary. The existence of the ashcan itself is proof that they wanted to trademark the title.

Even modern ashcans (those from the 90's) were produced to secure trademarks. I have 3 or 4 ashcans given to me from various DC execs of modern titles. Mike Gold gave me one when he was at First Comics.

Now the Image ashcans from the 90's are more s/n collectibes than true ashcans, but they COULD have been used in a traditional sense if Image wanted to.

BTW, I wanted to post my scan of Action Funnies, but I keep getting an error message that the file contains nothing...I'll keep trying...Still don't know how to post the actual image though... frown.gif

--Gary

Mark:

To answer your question on how I acquired them...

Most were purchased directly from Joe Desris, at one time the foremost Batman collector in the world. The first lot was purchased at the Chicago mini-con in October, 1985 and I got the rest over the next year or so. Joe was the agent for Sol Harrison, the retired president of DC. I acquired the 2 war issues from Sparkle City Comics in the late 80's at the San Diego Con. They were the only DC ashcans I ever found for sale at a con. I got the All-Star from Jack Mallette, a long time collector/dealer. I purchased the Champion, Cyclone and O.K. directly from the publisher's daughter. And I have a couple of Fawcetts that I bought from Will Lieberson's son.

I always hoped that when I started selling some of mine, others would come out of the woodwork as the prices increased. That's why I had my fingers crossed that Raven's was legit...The Batman ashcan is my holy grail (Green Lantern a close second...).

--Gary

Thats fantastic Gary. If you are ever in the area, or I go to a show wherever you live, I would love to see them sometime. Of course, I'll buy them too! poke2.gif

No doubt I will have more to add to this thread once I get a hold of the info detailing the existence of these books.

There are 2 in the census. One that Heritage sold a year or so ago (the 9.0). I own the 9.2...

Wow. hail.gif I take it these books are extremely undervalued in guide. I mean how do you peg a value on something that rare and I presume it pre-dates the actual release of the newsstand Action #1?

I just picked up an old issue of CBM that had a nice article about the DC golden age ashcans. It included numerous photos. I don't have the issue number at hand, but it's worth locating a copy if you haven't seen it.

Mark:

Alan (Pedigree Man) has made the pilgrimage, as have a few others. I'm in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. If our schedules mesh, I'd be happy to take you to the bank vault and show you my collection. Seeing so many ashcans in one place, a friend once commented that it was almost a "religious experience." tongue.gif

--Gary

What about the Flash with Captain Thunder cover

and

Thrill Comics - no picture just adventures of Capt. Thunder

and Thrill Comics with no picture just Golden Arrow?

kind of like the nickel and 5 cent comics

and the Double action ashcan with the hippo

Mark:

Alan (Pedigree Man) has made the pilgrimage, as have a few others. I'm in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. If our schedules mesh, I'd be happy to take you to the bank vault and show you my collection. Seeing so many ashcans in one place, a friend once commented that it was almost a "religious experience." tongue.gif

--Gary

I appreciate the offer Gary and I will definitely take you up on it next trip to Chicago. I am slowly working on a biography of Robert Todd Lincoln so a trip is in my future given RTL's previous residence and work in your windy city.

Mark,

I know of a "Superhombre" ashcan used to secure copyright for Superman in Spanish and also I believe there is a "Superwoman" ashcan...but I might have that wrong.

That would be very interesting to verify. Is it just the Superwoman book you are unsure of, or both? If just the Superwoman, anyone have a scan of the Spanish Superman ashcan?

Actually, what character was "Superwoman" back then?

Mark,

I know of a "Superhombre" ashcan used to secure copyright for Superman in Spanish and also I believe there is a "Superwoman" ashcan...but I might have that wrong.

That would be very interesting to verify. Is it just the Superwoman book you are unsure of, or both? If just the Superwoman, anyone have a scan of the Spanish Superman ashcan?

Actually, what character was "Superwoman" back then?

Mark,

I am positive about the "Superhombre" ashcan. My memory is certain on that point. I am less certain on the "Superwoman"..??? "Supergirl" ??? ashcan. If you want, I know the owner of these ashcans. He is a really nice fella. I would be more than happy to shoot him off an e-mail enquiring as to which ashcans he has and whether they are for sale.

Krazy