• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jedi, Sith, and absolutes

7 posts in this topic

This is really getting into the minutiae, but I’m a bit puzzled by one part of the dialogue that some seem to be making a great deal about.

Obi-wan says that only the Sith think in absolutes. This assertion seems oddly contradictory to the rest of the film as it is the Jedi who make the clearest distinctions between good and evil, and it’s Palpatine himself who argues that the Sith way is more open to all facets of the Force. If anything, it’s the Jedi who think in black and white, not the Sith. Or am I missing the actual point?

Everybody thinks in absolutes!

Some people just absolutely won't admit it. poke2.gif

Think about it.

"There are no absolutes."

Isn't that an absolute? poke2.gif

They were discussing whether Anikin could return from the darkside. Obiwan said it's not too late, and Anikin said it's not possible. ie...."absolute"ly, positively no way can I get out or do I want to get away from the dark side.

This wasn't a distinction between good and evil, just a discussion on the posibilities that one could or could not return from the darkside.

Anikin said no, Obiwan disagreed with it by stating "only the Sith think in absolutes.

Yes, the Jedi have absolutes as well. Yoda says, "Destroy the Sith we MUST!" He doesn't say "Study the Sith we will. Understand why they hate us we must!". So there are some contradictions, and that's probably why the Jedi are so screwed by Palpatine. They don't understand what they are supposed to be doing themselves.

I loved the movie. My favorite SW film since EMPIRE, and a good piece of filmmaking in its own right.