• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM #7,issue date 11/63 question

14 posts in this topic

I was wondering about this book's low population count on the census. There have only been 2 copies graded apparently.That's not a whole lot.Anyone else have a copy? I'm no expert in these matters but what is the differenece between the 11/63 and 12/63 aside from one being a UK issue? I found this book with an Avengers #2. Both have traces of a subscription crease and were on the shelf at the same time so I assume they must have travelled together.I'm curious why I found one in Canada. tongue.gif

Pence copies simply aren't as common???

That's right. I think that Andy Coleman said once that it was estimated that pence copies amounted to about 2-3% of the total print run. They were printed at the same time, at the same printing plant, on the same presses, using the same plates (with just the price block swapped out) as the regular cents versions. They were then shipped to the UK for distribution and sale.

That's why it is so hard to find pence variants of the early Marvels in high grade. There just aren't that many of them out there.

That's right. I think that Andy Coleman said once that it was estimated that pence copies amounted to about 2-3% of the total print run. They were printed at the same time, at the same printing plant, on the same presses, using the same plates (with just the price block swapped out) as the regular cents versions. They were then shipped to the UK for distribution and sale.

That's why it is so hard to find pence variants of the early Marvels in high grade. There just aren't that many of them out there.

And you forgot to add that they're simply not that sought after by US collectors, so prices have not been that high, which means there has not been a financial incentive for copies to emerge from the woodworks and be put into slabs.

That's very interesting but I'm a bit confused now. My copy has a 12 cent cover and shows dec under the number seven. The inside cover page of the book reads november 1963 issue. Is this what a normal book reads? I was just considering the issue date on the inside cover when I saw the variations listed. I do not own a great deal of material but what I have seems to correlate i.e. what the cover says, the inside cover repeats. Is there a cover that shows dec on the cover and december,1963 issue on the inside? Does the UK version show nov on the cover? If the two variants have different issue dates, is the cent/pence price the only indicator?

And you forgot to add that they're simply not that sought after by US collectors, so prices have not been that high, which means there has not been a financial incentive for copies to emerge from the woodworks and be put into slabs.

I have a CGC graded 3.0 UK copy of TOS #39. I was wondering what percentage of the US version would this book sell for?

I have a CGC graded 3.0 UK copy of TOS #39. I was wondering what percentage of the US version would this book sell for?

TOS 39 is a genuinely sought after book in nearly all grades, and it's a key. So in this particular instance your looking at 70% of what a cents copy would go for.

If this was a TOS 40 we were discussing, the percentage would be considerably lower.

TOS 39 is a genuinely sought after book in nearly all grades, and it's a key. So in this particular instance your looking at 70% of what a cents copy would go for.

If this was a TOS 40 we were discussing, the percentage would be considerably lower.

Thanks for the info. thumbsup2.gif

I paid around $390 for it (including grading fees) about 2 years ago. The last US 3.0 CGC graded copy sold for $585 according to GPA. If this formula holds true, then my book would be worth around = $410. At least I can get my money back.

Great...the only TOS I owe is a TOS 40...pence copy foreheadslap.gif

sorry.gif But it ain't my fault that pence copies of that book are more common and less in demand. Dammit.

Great...the only TOS I owe is a TOS 40...pence copy foreheadslap.gif

I own a 6.5 U.S. version of that book, but definitely overpaid for it. I purchased the book raw for $475, and sent it to CGC expecting a 7.5 grade, but received a 6.5 instead. foreheadslap.gif

Now lets say you went to England and tried to sell these comics... would they fetch more there?

Nope. Not any more......pence copies are shunned just as much in the U.K. as they are in the U.S. It's unlikely that the market will swing in their favor for some time yet, regardless of certain Brit dealers referring to them as "export variants".