• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1M book out side of AC 1 or Tec 27 ?

52 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

The 9.6 Showcase 4 will sell for $1 mil or more very soon.

Wasn't it listed on ComicLink not too long ago for 750K ? No takers.

Edited by Gotham Kid

56 minutes ago, rob_react said:

I think the Dentist's Superman #1 is a $3,000,000 book. It's the most valuable non-Action #1/Detecrtive #27 comic, in my mind. 

Other million dollar books from the also-rans:

Mile High/Edgar Church Copy of Marvel Comics #1

Incredible Hulk #1 CGC 9.4

Batman #1 Church Copy (guess who owns this)

Church All American #16 CGC 9.4

Captain America #1 Allentown CGC 9.8

Mile High/Edgar Church Superman #1 CGC 8.0

Superman #1 CGC 8.0 (the old 7.5)

Amazing Fantasy 15 CGC 9.6 (x3)

I give up, who owns it?

1 minute ago, RareHighGrade said:
59 minutes ago, rob_react said:

I think the Dentist's Superman #1 is a $3,000,000 book. It's the most valuable non-Action #1/Detecrtive #27 comic, in my mind. 

Other million dollar books from the also-rans:

Mile High/Edgar Church Copy of Marvel Comics #1

Incredible Hulk #1 CGC 9.4

Batman #1 Church Copy (guess who owns this)

Church All American #16 CGC 9.4

Captain America #1 Allentown CGC 9.8

Mile High/Edgar Church Superman #1 CGC 8.0

Superman #1 CGC 8.0 (the old 7.5)

Amazing Fantasy 15 CGC 9.6 (x3)

I give up, who owns it?

None of us. Damn it.

21 minutes ago, RareHighGrade said:

I give up, who owns it?

The Dentist. I don't know why it did, but that fact surprised me when I figured it out.  I think it was because I only found that out a couple of years ago and it felt like it should have been common knowledge.  

11 minutes ago, rob_react said:

The Dentist. I don't know why it did, but that fact surprised me when I figured it out.  I think it was because I only found that out a couple of years ago and it felt like it should have been common knowledge.  

Thanks, I hadn't known that either.

1 hour ago, ender said:

This is sort of related and wanted some folks who have been viewing this a lot longer than me to really weigh in.  When a book hits that 1 million mark does that impact the price in all grades or is it sort of limited to the 8.5 and higher grade range?  More many higher end books the price gap seems really high to the that starter level book (of course measuring against $0 anything looks big) but then the dollars per point seem to shrink down a little between 5.0 and 8.0 and then get bigger and bigger again the higher you go?  For instance a book might only be 1000 difference between a 5.0 and a 6.0 but then would be a 2000 difference between 8.5 and 9.0?  Am I imagining this?  Thanks for any insight.

Shortly after the first $1M sale of an Action Comics #1 (8.0), a 3.0 copy sold for $300,000. Safe to say there was definitely a correlation in that instance.

There's actually a lot of million dollar books out there. Recently a Detective Comics 27 CGC 5.0 sold for 710K and last year a Action Comics 1 CGC 5.5 sold for $950K. So any blue label Action 1 6.0+ or Detective Comics 27 6.5+ are million dollar books. Of course if you remove these two books, the list shrinks.  2c

Edited by showcase22gr1959

2 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
2 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

The 9.6 Showcase 4 will sell for $1 mil or more very soon.

Wasn't it listed on ComicLink not too long ago for 750K ? No takers.

It was listed on ComicLink around 2013 for a million. There was a tentative $800,000 deal but the seller backed out.

24 minutes ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

There's actually a lot of million dollar books out there. Recently a Detective Comics 27 CGC 5.0 sold for 710K and last year a Action Comics 1 CGC 5.5 sold for $950K. So any blue label Action 1 6.0+ or Detective Comics 27 6.5+ are million dollar books. Of course if you remove these two books, the list shrinks.  2c

I agree, there are likely a multitude of "hypothetical million dollar+" books. Including the top graded hulk 1.  But at the end of the day, the only ones (at least publicly) that really are remain Action 1, Tec 27, and AF 15.  But I'd also bet the lone 9.4 Cap 1 would reach seven figures now, if it came up, and maybe even one of the two 9.2's.  We will soon see whether or not this pep 22 coming up on CC has a deep enough of a fan and collector following to break seven figures.  Etc....

-J.

7 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

It was listed on ComicLink around 2013 for a million. There was a tentative $800,000 deal but the seller backed out.

I recall the highest listed price was 956K...perhaps may reach there soon for a SC4 9.6.

6 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

I agree, there are likely a multitude of "hypothetical million dollar+" books. Including the top graded hulk 1.  But at the end of the day, the only ones (at least publicly) that really are remain Action 1, Tec 27, and AF 15.  But I'd also bet the lone 9.4 Cap 1 would reach seven figures now, if it came up, and maybe even one of the two 9.2's.  We will soon see whether or not this pep 22 coming up on CC has a deep enough of a fan and collector following to break seven figures.  Etc....

-J.

Possibly to pry loose the Cap 1 9.4. I just don't think a Pep 22 can reach 1 million.  Would love to see more Cap 1 blue label in 5.0+ to auction.  :wink:

7 minutes ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

Possibly to pry loose the Cap 1 9.4. I just don't think a Pep 22 can reach 1 million.  Would love to see more Cap 1 blue label in 5.0+ to auction.  :wink:

I also don't see the Pep 22 reaching 1 million but will be fun to watch that one. 

21 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

I also don't see the Pep 22 reaching 1 million but will be fun to watch that one. 

Anyone compared the 8.0 Pep 22 to Bangzoom's?  His has better color and centering, but a dust shadow (cleanable?), and I'm not sure if it there is a defect in the bottom right because it shows more image than the CC 8.0.

The reason I ask is that it seem pretty clear that for many of the top GA mega keys, the best copy has not been encapsulated (includes Action 1, D27, CA 1, MC 1, Whiz 2, etc.).   $1 million for an 8.0 Pep 22seems very high when there are probably better copies out there (Mile High, maybe Bangzoom's, etc.). 

Edited by sfcityduck

2 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Anyone compared the 8.0 Pep 22 to Bangzoom's?  His has better color and centering, but a dust shadow (cleanable?), and I'm not sure if it there is a defect in the bottom right because it shows more image than the CC 8.0.

The reason I ask is that it seem pretty clear that for many of the top GA mega keys, the best copy has not been encapsulated (includes Action 1, D27, CA 1, MC 1, Whiz 2, etc.).   $1 million for an 8.0 Pep 22seems very high when there are probably better copies out there (Mile High, maybe Bangzoom's, etc.). 

The Church copy hangs over the 8.0 like a minty-fresh hammer.