• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1M book out side of AC 1 or Tec 27 ?

52 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

But I'd also bet the lone 9.4 Cap 1 would reach seven figures now, if it came up, and maybe even one of the two 9.2's.

Lone 9.8 you mean. Board member sartre owns a 9.4 copy.

16 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Lone 9.8 you mean. Board member sartre owns a 9.4 copy.

Yes, 1 9.4 and 1 9.8 (no 9.6's).  Both probably million+ books if they came up. Congrats to boardie sartre for having such a great copy.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

1 hour ago, Readcomix said:
8 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

I also don't see the Pep 22 reaching 1 million but will be fun to watch that one. 

Why not on the Pep 22, guys? 

Because the current CC copy is only a CGC 8.0 graded copy and there is a much higher still to be graded Church copy of Pep 22 just waiting out there.  :gossip:

Edited by lou_fine

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Because the current CC copy is only a CGC 8.0 graded copy and there is a much higher still to be graded Church copy of Pep 22 just waiting out there.  :gossip:

I just reread and realized, Lou, that I thought the others were talking about any Pep 22 ever. But they specifically meant the highest graded 8.0. I misread. I cannot imagine that the Church Pep 22 is not in that weight class. Of course, like any of these, it comes down to a relatively small pool of decision-makers: the whales who can and do spend 7 figures on a single collectible asset. 

I wonder how many able people, beyond the handful who have already bought a 7-figure comic, are out there and would consider "the right book?" (shrug)

That's why I posed the question earlier about AA16. Yes someone among the current pod of whales might well go that much for the beautiful 9.4 Church (thanks for posting it, woowoo) but I wonder if it has long legs? Would the estate of a 7-figure buyer of that book find someone on the other side of that trade at the same relative level 40, 50 years from now? 

14 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Yes someone among the current pod of whales might well go that much for the beautiful 9.4 Church (thanks for posting it, woowoo) but I wonder if it has long legs? Would the estate of a 7-figure buyer of that book find someone on the other side of that trade at the same relative level 40, 50 years from now? 

Are we talking about a 5-year investment, 10-year...or 40-year, 50-year investment?

It's conceivable, though I'd argue against it, that Batman will be unpopular or nearly irrelevant 50 years from now. It's conceivable that Golden Age superhero comics of the highest order will not be relevant or desirable in 50 years. A lot changes over that kind of span.

Edited by Wayne-Tec

1 hour ago, Wayne-Tec said:

Are we talking about a 5-year investment, 10-year...or 40-year, 50-year investment?

It's conceivable, though I'd argue against it, that Batman will be unpopular or nearly irrelevant 50 years from now. It's conceivable that Golden Age superhero comics of the highest order will not be relevant or desirable in 50 years. A lot changes over that kind of span.

Thank you, that's what I'm getting at, though not taking it all the way to irrelevance. (Though Platinum books are a caution). As you said, you would argue against Batman sliding into irrelevance. I'm just asking whether GL needs 20 years, let alone 50, to slide into irrelevance. 

I've had to explain the significance of TTA 27 to younger collectors; I'm thinking this is the GA super-key equivalent -- the one among its peers most likely to not be understood (in terms of significance) by collectors not too far down the line.

20 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Thank you, that's what I'm getting at, though not taking it all the way to irrelevance. (Though Platinum books are a caution). As you said, you would argue against Batman sliding into irrelevance. I'm just asking whether GL needs 20 years, let alone 50, to slide into irrelevance. 

You speak more to reality than golden age blasphemy. For example, Deadpool is now - and may be in ten years still - more popular than Sandman (Adv40), Hourman (48), Spectre (MF52), Dr. Fate, and so forth,  further diminishing the relevance of those current heavyweight books.

(which just may work out for me at 92 when I might be able to afford copies!) :wishluck:

21 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

You speak more to reality than golden age blasphemy. For example, Deadpool is now - and may be in ten years still - more popular than Sandman (Adv40), Hourman (48), Spectre (MF52), Dr. Fate, and so forth,  further diminishing the relevance of those current heavyweight books.

(which just may work out for me at 92 when I might be able to afford copies!) :wishluck:

82 and still passionate about these books?

On 7/13/2017 at 1:10 AM, Readcomix said:

Why not on the Pep 22, guys? 

If films budgeted by hundreds of millions of dollars, some grossing over a billion dollars, reflect the demand for Batman, what is the equivalent to reflect the demand for Archie?