• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

dumb .,somewhat sophisticated question

11 posts in this topic

When I look at the  CGC census section and hit the qualifier for restored grades, a long line of Caps letters runs across the top of that census. So far , I have not found that explained. So, I'm not new but I'm not educated entirely either yet I do want to know what it mean since the restored section on such books as the AF15 take up a lot of space in the census. I am already assuming they would not get a universal grade but I would appreciate help with this issue.  I have a 5.0 AF 15  universal grade which I will be selling in the fall and I'm trying to understand the relative scarcity of the book as well as what qualifiers reduce value in a "restored" book .

A second question is my continuing confusion is over "Marvel Chipping". Is this just a poor excuse for condition that folks jut try to explain away? I see books, (one today actually ) with no chipping at all rated but otherwise in very marginal shape  well below books just snot full of it at higher ratings.  I really don't get it.  Is this a flaw that gets its chops busted or not, and if so, why or why not? Ink? Paper? Does anyone actually know why the conditions were that created the chipping and why it seems like the bad tooth fairy touched one book but not the other?

And if this needs remanding to the dumb question board recently created, I'll just retire. 

Edited by Glassman10
For Bomber Bob' ***ing typos

It's a decent question to be as knowledgeable about your book as possibel :) even if yours doesn't have any of the problems ;) 

not that there is anything particularly wrong with asking the question or even in Comics General but:

They have a decent discussion about this particular book in Silver Age forum, also maybe grading and restoration forum/threads....there are Many of those elite fortunate to own a copy that could talk shop with you, but would be found those forum/threads pretty easily. I don't know that they visit Comics General enough to see this thread and weigh in :) even if you waited till someone posted something in those threads that seemed releavant--ahem I don't think that they'd mind a pm :wishluck::shy:

17 minutes ago, Glassman10 said:

When I look at the  CGC census section and hit the qualifier for restored grades, a long line of Caps letters runs across the top of that census. So far , I have not found that explained. So, I'm not new but I'm not educated entirely either yet I do want to know what it mean since the restored section on such books as the AF15 take up a lot of space in the census. I am already assuming they would not get a universal grade but I would appreciate help with this issue.  I have a 5.0 AF 15  universal grade which I will be selling in the fall and I'm trying to understand the relative scarcity of the book as well as what qualifiers reduce value in a "restored" book .

A second question is my continuing confusion is over "Marvel Chipping". Is this just a poor excuse for condition that folks jut try to explain away? I see books, (one today actually ) with no chipping at all rated but otherwise in very marginal shape  well below books just snot full of it at higher ratings.  I really don't get it.  Is this a flaw that gets its chops busted or not, and if so, why or why not? Ink? Paper? Does anyone actually know why the conditions were that created the chipping and why it seems like the bad tooth fairy touched one book but not the other?

And if this needs remanding to the dumb question board recently created, I'll just retire. 

that certainly makes sense up  to a point. If it is the case that chipping is not really viewed as a defect in a book because it was not due to poor handling by the reader why is a book  graded  down because of centering issues and stuff like that which were also part of the manufacturing process or is that really only the case when differentiation  when being nitpicky in grades above 9.0

Does anyone know where to point me on the census question?

Edited by Glassman10

So this is what appears on the "restored" screen in CGC census for AF 15 as the top line.  I am hoping it will cut and paste. It represents about 750 restored copies which leaves about 1242 graded unrestored below 5.0 and 439 above 5.0  and 269 in signature series, in which it's worthy to note none exist above a single 8.0. Maybe someone didn't want to deface a valuable book. 

What I don't understand and can't find the reference for is what all the letters mean crossing this post. I just want to know what it means. 

A-1 A-2 A-3 Apparent Apparent EA Apparent EP Apparent MA Apparent MP Apparent SA Apparent SP Apparent SS Apparent SS EA Apparent SS EP Apparent SS MA Apparent SS MP Apparent SS SA Apparent SS SP B-1 B-2 B-3 B-4 B-5 C-1 C-2 C-3 C-4 C-5 Conserved Qualified SS SS A-1 SS A-3 SS A-4 SS B-1 SS B-2 SS B-3 SS B-4 SS B-5 SS C-1 SS C-2 SS C-3 SS C-4 SS C-5   Total

4 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

So this is what appears on the "restored" screen in CGC census for AF 15 as the top line.  I am hoping it will cut and paste. It represents about 750 restored copies which leaves about 1242 graded unrestored below 5.0 and 439 above 5.0  and 269 in signature series, in which it's worthy to note none exist above a single 8.0. Maybe someone didn't want to deface a valuable book. 

What I don't understand and can't find the reference for is what all the letters mean crossing this post. I just want to know what it means. 

A-1 A-2 A-3 Apparent Apparent EA Apparent EP Apparent MA Apparent MP Apparent SA Apparent SP Apparent SS Apparent SS EA Apparent SS EP Apparent SS MA Apparent SS MP Apparent SS SA Apparent SS SP B-1 B-2 B-3 B-4 B-5 C-1 C-2 C-3 C-4 C-5 Conserved Qualified SS SS A-1 SS A-3 SS A-4 SS B-1 SS B-2 SS B-3 SS B-4 SS B-5 SS C-1 SS C-2 SS C-3 SS C-4 SS C-5   Total

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's

EA - Extensive Amateur restoration

EP - Extensive Professional restoration

MA - Moderate Amateur restoration

MP - Moderate Professional restoration

SA - Slight Amateur restoration

SP - Slight Professional restoration

The rest are Signature Series

4 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

I think this is what you're looking for:

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=4083&