• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Heroic Comics #68 09/1951 File Copy

16 posts in this topic

It's hard to see the front cover pick on the right edge, it kind of cut's off lol file copies are tricky for me, as this is an older book I don't know how much grace it would get. It does look like it aged well, and it might grade as 9.2

If I'm wrong on this let me know lol 

but there appears to be a crease that breaks color (however slight, but I think that I can see it) on the front lower right corner/edge keeps it from grading higher, I don't really see any spine ticks :)  I know it's rounded at bottom of spine that keeps it in the 9.0/9.2 range in my experience......

4 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

It's hard to see the front cover pick on the right edge, it kind of cut's off lol file copies are tricky for me, as this is an older book I don't know how much grace it would get. It does look like it aged well, and it might grade as 9.2

If I'm wrong on this let me know lol 

but there appears to be a crease that breaks color (however slight, but I think that I can see it) on the front lower right corner/edge keeps it from grading higher, I don't really see any spine ticks :)  I know it's rounded at bottom of spine that keeps it in the 9.0/9.2 range in my experience......

Thanks!  Yeah it does have a small crease that breaks color slightly.  I didn't scan the book myself before shipping it to CGC, these are the scans from eBay when I purchased it.  It does have "150" written on the back.  Do you think this has anything to do with it being a file copy?  Doesn't make much sense why that would be there.  The guy I bought it from got it in a file copy lot from Heritage Auctions.  

The cool story about this cover and this comic is that the woman on the front was a real person named Mary Frances Housley.  She was a graduate from the school that I teach at.  She was a flight stewardess/attendant for National Airlines and she died after saving 10 people from a burning plane...Flight 83, which she was working, crashed at Philadelphia International Airport on January 14, 1951.  I got the comic because I'm working on trying to share her story and get it out there.  I'm also trying to put together a collection of artifacts/photos/documents on her life for our local museum.  This copy I will be holding on to for a while though.  I purchased a lower grade copy for the museum for the time being.  If you Google her, you can read more about her story.  Here is a real photo of her.

Mary Frances Housley Dress .jpeg

Edited by hammitchris
forgot photo

8 minutes ago, hammitchris said:

Thanks!  Yeah it does have a small crease that breaks color slightly.  I didn't scan the book myself before shipping it to CGC, these are the scans from eBay when I purchased it.  It does have "150" written on the back.  Do you think this has anything to do with it being a file copy?  Doesn't make much sense why that would be there.  The guy I bought it from got it in a file copy lot from Heritage Auctions.  

Personally I believe the 150 is most likely a price someone wrote on it for resale. Most likely $1.50. Great book and thanks for sharing. 

15 minutes ago, hammitchris said:

The cool story about this cover and this comic is that the woman on the front was a real person named Mary Frances Housley.  She was a graduate from the school that I teach at.  She was a flight stewardess/attendant for National Airlines and she died after saving 10 people from a burning plane...Flight 83, which she was working, crashed at Philadelphia International Airport on January 14, 1951.  I got the comic because I'm working on trying to share her story and get it out there.  I'm also trying to put together a collection of artifacts/photos/documents on her life for our local museum.  This copy I will be holding on to for a while though.  I purchased a lower grade copy for the museum for the time being.  If you Google her, you can read more about her story.  Here is a real photo of her.

Mary Frances Housley Dress .jpeg

makes this book a lot cooler! nice insight! good luck with your project!

Just logged in to check up on the grade on this book and I was very surprised...according to the system, it got a 9.6!!  I think they also granted the File Copy status to it, at least that is how I interpret it.  Thoughts?  I was thinking maybe 9.0-9.2 on the grade, but I'll take the 9.6!!  

2.png

5 hours ago, shadroch said:

Very nice. Glad I didn't opine that I thought it would get a 9.2.

Great background story. I love Heroic covers, but they don't seem to be very popular.

I agree...the covers of these books are awesome!  What makes them even cooler is that the stories in them are true stories.  You'd think that would make people want them more.  Her story is an amazing one that I didn't know about myself.  A true heroine. 

Mary Frances "Frankie" Housley (October 12, 1926 – January 14, 1951) was the lone flight attendant on National Airlines Flight 83, which crashed after landing at Philadelphia International Airport on January 14, 1951.[1] She led 10 passengers to safety, then returned to the burning cabin to save an infant. She died in the attempt and was later found holding the four-month-old baby in her arms. The story of her courage made national headlines, including an item in Time magazine.[2] One passenger called her a "real hero". A congressman labeled her the bravest American in history

At 2:13pm, January 14, 1951, National's Flight 83, a DC-4, landed in Philadelphia from Newark, New Jersey, en route to Norfolk, Virginia.[3] It skidded off the icy runway, through a fence, and into a ditch. The left wing broke off, rupturing the gasoline tanks, and the plane caught fire. Housley opened the emergency door and saw the ground eight feet below. Returning to the cabin, she helped passengers release their seat belts, guided them to the door and gave a gentle shove to those who were hesitant to jump. After saving 10 passengers, she returned to the cabin to try to rescue a four-month old baby, Brenda Joyce Smith. After the fire was extinguished, the bodies of five women and two infants were found. One of the women was Frankie Housley with Brenda Joyce Smith in her arms.[4]

From Wiki

On 8/26/2017 at 4:46 PM, shadroch said:

Mary Frances "Frankie" Housley (October 12, 1926 – January 14, 1951) was the lone flight attendant on National Airlines Flight 83, which crashed after landing at Philadelphia International Airport on January 14, 1951.[1] She led 10 passengers to safety, then returned to the burning cabin to save an infant. She died in the attempt and was later found holding the four-month-old baby in her arms. The story of her courage made national headlines, including an item in Time magazine.[2] One passenger called her a "real hero". A congressman labeled her the bravest American in history

At 2:13pm, January 14, 1951, National's Flight 83, a DC-4, landed in Philadelphia from Newark, New Jersey, en route to Norfolk, Virginia.[3] It skidded off the icy runway, through a fence, and into a ditch. The left wing broke off, rupturing the gasoline tanks, and the plane caught fire. Housley opened the emergency door and saw the ground eight feet below. Returning to the cabin, she helped passengers release their seat belts, guided them to the door and gave a gentle shove to those who were hesitant to jump. After saving 10 passengers, she returned to the cabin to try to rescue a four-month old baby, Brenda Joyce Smith. After the fire was extinguished, the bodies of five women and two infants were found. One of the women was Frankie Housley with Brenda Joyce Smith in her arms.[4]

From Wiki

If you are really interested in her story, if you Google her name and click on the "News" tab on Google, you can see some things we have done here recently to try to honor her memory and sacrifice.