• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tiny Tot Comics EC ad

9 posts in this topic

I can't remember which issue of EC comics had an ad for Tiny Tot. I think it was Picture Stories from the Bible, but could be wrong. The ad I think was in the centerfold. It showed an issue of I guess an upcoming Tiny Tot Comics which pictured pumpkins and was either fall or Halloween theme. My wife loves pumpkins and would have loved this comic cover. Thing is, when I went to look up the issue, the released comic had a totally different cover. Does anyone have a copy they can scan and post here so I can get another look at it? Thanks.

8 hours ago, Philflound said:

I can't remember which issue of EC comics had an ad for Tiny Tot. I think it was Picture Stories from the Bible, but could be wrong. The ad I think was in the centerfold. It showed an issue of I guess an upcoming Tiny Tot Comics which pictured pumpkins and was either fall or Halloween theme. My wife loves pumpkins and would have loved this comic cover. Thing is, when I went to look up the issue, the released comic had a totally different cover. Does anyone have a copy they can scan and post here so I can get another look at it? Thanks.

Here it is, from the back cover of Dandy Comics #5. The Halloween cover was intended to be used on Tiny Tot #10, but for some reason they switched it at the last minute to a Santa cover:

dandy5_bc3.thumb.JPG.842a8aa5ed43ffd240018e37cb439223.JPG

Again, with slightly less glare:

dandy5_bc2.thumb.JPG.410c888406af5da33180b50b1cac661d.JPG

Edited by edowens71

21 hours ago, edowens71 said:

Here's the cover they actually ran with for issue #10:

tinytot10_f.jpg

Maybe the book hit the stands later than intended?  The fact that it was the last issue may indicate that they contemplated not publishing it and then decided to do so after it was too late use the Halloween cover. hm

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Maybe the book hit the stands later than intended?  The fact that it was the last issue may indicate that they contemplated not publishing it and then decided to do so after it was too late use the Halloween cover. hm

Yep. I've never seen any authoritative source comment on this, but your theory makes sense. That copy of Dandy Comics #5 that I snapped the pic from has an arrival date stamp on it of October 1...so, the Dandy was on the stands then, and that house ad presumes that the Tiny Tot #10 would have been on the stands around the same time...in early October, in plenty of time for Halloween.

But, you may notice that the copy of Tiny Tot #10 that I scanned up there has an arrival date up in the top left corner of Nov 28...so, seems that Tiny Tot #10 was indeed delayed...far too late for Halloween, but plenty time for Christmas. Again, I've never seen any "official" discussion of what happened to cause this delay (and I've looked for it :screwy: ).

I'm wondering if the original art for that unpublished cover even exists. Would have been a cool find. I showed my wife and she actually didn't like it as much as I thought she would. She did appreciate it though, especially the reaction of the kids to the snake.

6 hours ago, Philflound said:

I'm wondering if the original art for that unpublished cover even exists. Would have been a cool find. I showed my wife and she actually didn't like it as much as I thought she would. She did appreciate it though, especially the reaction of the kids to the snake.

Heritage sold the original art for this cover a couple of years ago, IIRC.

13 hours ago, edowens71 said:

Yep. I've never seen any authoritative source comment on this, but your theory makes sense. That copy of Dandy Comics #5 that I snapped the pic from has an arrival date stamp on it of October 1...so, the Dandy was on the stands then, and that house ad presumes that the Tiny Tot #10 would have been on the stands around the same time...in early October, in plenty of time for Halloween.

But, you may notice that the copy of Tiny Tot #10 that I scanned up there has an arrival date up in the top left corner of Nov 28...so, seems that Tiny Tot #10 was indeed delayed...far too late for Halloween, but plenty time for Christmas. Again, I've never seen any "official" discussion of what happened to cause this delay (and I've looked for it :screwy: ).

Someday, you are going to write the comprehensive history of EC.  I'm expecting at least 10 volumes.  Put me down as a preorder for the limited bound-in-hand-tooled-leather edition. :)