• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

International Collectors - Buying Up Books??

28 posts in this topic

Just wondered if the weak US $ right now has caused international collectors to buy more and/or better quality books these days. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm particularly interested in hearing from anyone who may have bought books at the Heritage Sig. auction that just concluded. flowerred.gif

According to various dealers (both U.S. and U.K.) the pound / dollar conversion rate has made an impact - English buyers are taking advantage and spending more, at least to a moderate extent. Although as far as the top end is concerned, I doubt it's made that much difference. I got outbid on all the Heritage items I was interested in, for example. frown.gif

The strong pound hasnt really influenced my buying habits but I do feel like I'm getting better value for money (so thats a big NO to the Euro Tony)!!!

Are you an Eric Cantona fan? (Your avatar) Whats happening with him these days? Last thing i remember about him is fly kicking a fan at Man United

I'm buying more expensive books now while I still can.

At the moment the NZ$ is 70cents to the US $1.00 when I first arrived here 4 years ago is was 40cents for one US dollar - that makes a big difference when your buying a $300.00 book.

old rate = $750.00

new rate = $429.00 a saving of nz$321.00

At the moment my uncanny x-men run has never looked so good cloud9.gif (thanks to Ted Superworld/Blazing bob/Comic link & Metro).

The strong pound hasnt really influenced my buying habits but I do feel like I'm getting better value for money (so thats a big NO to the Euro Tony)!!!

Are you an Eric Cantona fan? (Your avatar) Whats happening with him these days? Last thing i remember about him is fly kicking a fan at Man United

Erics a legend - still acting\playing beach football last I heard.

Yes the conversion rate between the $US Vs $Aussie has made me purchase a lot more books from the U.S.A.

The Aussie dollar buys about $.77 at the moment.

If the dollar goes under $.75 I stop purchasing.

I have spoken with several people that have purchased comics a few years back when we were only getting $.50cents to the dollar and now they have to make an extra 25% profit just to break even with todays exchange rate.

If the Aussie exchange rate drops below US$.75 it becomes a good time to me to sell to the USA.

Putting it simply every 1c move upwards on a $1000 book saves me $10 & with postage to Australia costing arount US$18-30 it can work out to getting the equivelant of free postage quite easily.

Regards,

Aussie Russ

According to various dealers (both U.S. and U.K.) the pound / dollar conversion rate has made an impact - English buyers are taking advantage and spending more, at least to a moderate extent. Although as far as the top end is concerned, I doubt it's made that much difference. I got outbid on all the Heritage items I was interested in, for example. frown.gif

yeahok.gif

I think he just coached France to the world championship in beach soccer. I don't know if you have seen this before but it will blow your mind. When you see what these guys can do with a ball on the sand it really gives you an idea of just how much skill they have.

HK Dollar is pegged to the US Dollar, so nothing`s changed for me. confused-smiley-013.gif

I`m hoping China will revalue the Yuan, which would likely cause HK to revalue the HK$, which would make me a happy camper. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Been sending a lot of books across the pond over the last 1-2 years...yeah, the weak dollar has made a difference!

Yep I am spending at lot more buying from US retailers than I did before the exchange rate turned advantageous - ' it's not quite as good as it was a couple of months ago though).

I just wish more French, German and Spanish sellers took Paypal so I could fill in a few more of my language variants.

Earl.

Just wondered if the weak US $ right now has caused international collectors to buy more and/or better quality books these days. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Seems like it. About half of my BA books I've sold in the last year have went overseas to UK and Europe.

(Mind you that's only about 15 books.)

I'm particularly interested in hearing from anyone who may have bought books at the Heritage Sig. auction that just concluded. flowerred.gif

I got a very strong offer from a French collector for my FF#3 Winnipeg and FF#22 CGC 9.4 on ebay last week ($4,600), and he purchased my FF#48 CGC 7.0 at an aggressive price ($475). I probably would have agreed to a deal with him on the #3 and #22 if I hadn't wound up selling both books and a few other books to a local collector at the Oakland con this weekend.

I have also made some nice $500-$1,000 sales to Canadian buyers lately. The foreign buyers are less price sensitive because of the weak dollar.