• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SDCC: After 48 years, the shocking downfall.
2 2

171 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, woowoo said:

:facepalm: Worth a try :whistle: Never know when you had a bad week (shrug). No hope you did well at the show (thumbsu 

Bad week. Good week. Makes no diff. There is no secret source for af15 or action 7. Have to pay top $ to get. 

2 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Bad week. Good week. Makes no diff. There is no secret source for af15 or action 7. Have to pay top $ to get. 

Ya not like the old day's hm I would have to pay top $ now than double it doh!

I highly recommend the John Benson " Reed Crandell book, its amazing. John is working on the Graham Ingles book...its gonna be killer. The traffic at the convention was in the media centers like WB, Fox etc..such a shame

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

What was the price and approximate condition for his copy of AMF V2#2 if he had one there?  hm

There wasn't one - Michael sold it previously, said he kept about 10 of the Centaurs for his personal collection (didn't say what they were but I asked specifically and AMF 2/2 was not one of them). The OO Centaur collection came out in batches, I didn't realize that a Western Picture Stories I bought from him last year was from the same collection. The Berk auction results motivated him to release another batch at the Con.

Frankly anyone who laments the absence of Mile High Comics as signalling the downfall of SDCC is being a FDQ and/or is trolling - not a single vintage collector I've ever spoken to patronized their booths (mostly trades and overpriced drek).

This year's show was excellent IMHO, two dealers I spoke to did indeed report slow sales but others seemed pretty happy (the booth I assisted exceeded their top expectation).

1 minute ago, sacentaur said:

There wasn't one - Michael sold it previously, said he kept about 10 of the Centaurs for his personal collection (didn't say what they were but I asked specifically and AMF 2/2 was not one of them). The OO Centaur collection came out in batches, I didn't realize that a Western Picture Stories I bought from him last year was from the same collection. The Berk auction results motivated him to release another batch at the Con.

Frankly anyone who laments the absence of Mile High Comics as signalling the downfall of SDCC is being a FDQ and/or is trolling - not a single vintage collector I've ever spoken to patronized their booths (mostly trades and overpriced drek).

This year's show was excellent IMHO, two dealers I spoke to did indeed report slow sales but others seemed pretty happy (the booth I assisted exceeded their top expectation).

Sounds like they let the high rollers in. All the dealers would have done better if the "rest of us" could have gotten in...

6 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Have to agree with Steve on this the dealer I was helping had his best year ever in sales.

4 minutes ago, Hap Hazard said:

Not Benson Roger Hill was speaking stopped mid sentence by SDCC Staff.

Man, totally disrespectful and rude. Totally shows what they think of the history of their "Comic Con" and those of us who love the medium. Trouble is, they have shown what they are and really don't care. Roger Hill is a pillar in fandom. 

2 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Let's talk about the elephant in the room. 

I wonder if an aging audience/dealers has any play into it?

An example is maybe a more younger audience that goes to San Diego Con would be interested in NM #98,Walking Dead #1 and Incredible Hulk #181 than those golden age treasures?

I'm no spring chicken (or whatever you old curmudgeons say) but at 40 I have zero interest in anything modern (for my collection, I read new titles) and I find the pop culture side of a con irritating (except for the cosplay villianesses).  There are a few of us making the trip to WW Chicago this year because we hear its a collectors show.  We'll probably try to hit Baltimore and Charlotte next year because they too are said to be collector intensive.  Each one of us recently started collecting again after 2+ decades out of the game and we were used to the hotel shows that smelled like BO and smoke; and they were awesome compared to whats available today. I for one would clear my schedule to go just about anywhere if I were promised rows of comics and nothing else.   It seems to me there is great value in reversion when it comes to the true "collectors" show.  

3 minutes ago, comicquant said:

I'm no spring chicken (or whatever you old curmudgeons say) but at 40 I have zero interest in anything modern (for my collection, I read new titles) and I find the pop culture side of a con irritating (except for the cosplay villianesses).  There are a few of us making the trip to WW Chicago this year because we hear its a collectors show.  We'll probably try to hit Baltimore and Charlotte next year because they too are said to be collector intensive.  Each one of us recently started collecting again after 2+ decades out of the game and we were used to the hotel shows that smelled like BO and smoke; and they were awesome compared to whats available today. I for one would clear my schedule to go just about anywhere if I were promised rows of comics and nothing else.   It seems to me there is great value in reversion when it comes to the true "collectors" show.  

Terry O'Neil's one day show at the end of January is epic for wall candy and box digging. Nothing but GA to BA books and tons of them. Plus there is nothing like So Cal weather in the winter. There were many out of state dealers and collectors who showed up at the last show. All went home happy and said it was well worth the trip and a nice vacation.

6 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

That was the only theory I come up with.

I wonder why the sales are down than? 

if sales are indeed down, my guess would be that the focus of the show and majority of attendees are there for the pop culture/non comic book stuff.

i know if i was still actively collecting, i wouldn't want to wade through 124,000 (of the 125,000) attendees to try to find golden age comics that would likely be a bit pricier than normal because of table prices, travel, etc.

the fact that the focus has shifted away from vintage comics has convinced some long time comic book collectors (some of whom have posted in this thread) to skip it as not worth the hassle. i'd be in that boat.

Edited by circumstances

3 minutes ago, circumstances said:

if sales are indeed down, my guess would be that the focus of the show and majority of attendees are there for the pop culture/non comic book stuff.

i know if i was still actively collecting, i wouldn't want to wade through 124,000 (of the 125,000) attendees to try to find golden age comics that would likely be a bit pricier than normal because of table prices, travel, etc.

the fact that the focus has shifted away from vintage comics has convinced many long time comic book collectors to skip it as not worth the hassle. i'd be in that boat.

Seems like a fair enough response and probably is the correct theory.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Just now, circumstances said:

the fact that the focus has shifted away from vintage comics has convinced many long time comic book collectors to skip it as not worth the hassle. i'd be in that boat.

This is true - the Con isn't what it used to be but I for one am grateful we still get a SDCC every year.

As I noted in another thread, this was my best show of the past decade for vintage material (despite the occasional hassle and increased costs).

I had a blast and I saw lots of GA books that I wanted.  As usual, I had to limit what I could buy.  I also used the credit card for my last 3 purchases, which is something I really try to avoid doing.

I will be back next year.

1 hour ago, sacentaur said:

The OO Centaur collection came out in batches, I didn't realize that a Western Picture Stories I bought from him last year was from the same collection. The Berk auction results motivated him to release another batch at the Con.

Well, maybe next month's Heritage Auction results might convince him to release yet another one of these Centaur batches.  :wishluck:

Edited by lou_fine