• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MARVEL GENERATIONS: A new beginning, or finally the end of Marvel
1 1

83 posts in this topic

On 7/24/2017 at 11:41 AM, revat said:

I think they thought the 'diversity' wave would attract more new readers than they lost, and that the new readers would be younger and/or previously untapped and provide a larger base for the future moving forward.  Obviously, they were wrong about a great many things, which has resulted in poor sales.  They've only got half of the equation right, they lost some of the readers they had.

They did but the problem is Marvel expects the new crowd to buy the entire line up like some of the old guard do by forcing them into events and crossovers.

Newsflash Marvel: Most millennials have student loans and can't afford to devote $20-100 per month for 3-6 months for whatever event or crossover you may have going on.

On 7/25/2017 at 6:22 AM, kimik said:

Wow. Walking Dead sells way more than Amazing Spider-Man does. lol

Looking at the sales charts, Marvel only makes hay with #1s and the plethora of store variants. ASM is their top selling regular issue. That is horrible. 

As a whole, the comic industry is hurting. Take a look at the numbers - only one ongoing title is selling in the 90,000 - 100,000 per issue range consistnently (Batman) and the second highest seller on a consistent basis is WD in the 70,000ish range. 

On the flip side, I am surprised that Edge of Venmoverse #1 did not top 100,000 copies considering the plethora of store variants available. Is it a sign of Marvel overusing Venom already? Or, will that mean the minis will sell well if the movie is actually released?

I think it's a sign that Marvel's been overusing events, crossovers, renumberings and variants. Their effectiveness to boost sales has greatly decreased. Take away all the variants and all those extra sales for the regular covers due to 1:25 to 1:2000 or variants requiring 250% orders of a previous issue and we'd probably see even lower sales levels for Marvel.  :p

http://www.comicsbeat.com/tilting-at-windmills-261-marvel-comics-and-the-deck-chairs-of-the-titanic/

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07/29/comic-store-in-your-future-your-life-in-lenticular/

Edited by aerischan

2 hours ago, aerischan said:

I think it's a sign that Marvel's been overusing events, crossovers, renumberings and variants. Their effectiveness to boost sales has greatly decreased. Take away all the variants and all those extra sales for the regular covers due to 1:25 to 1:2000 or variants requiring 250% orders of a previous issue and we'd probably see even lower sales levels for Marvel.  :p

http://www.comicsbeat.com/tilting-at-windmills-261-marvel-comics-and-the-deck-chairs-of-the-titanic/

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07/29/comic-store-in-your-future-your-life-in-lenticular/

Thx for the links. Interesting reads.  I hate Marvel even more now.  Back to the back issue bins....

I heard a rumor that Marvel has been a part of Marvel's long term strategic plan for it's universe. This has been in the works for over twenty years and they have been building everything towards it. 

Here is the top secret well of inspiration for this relaunch.....................  :roflmao:

image.thumb.png.69ea31b12e1a380b7d4974ae63c2d371.png

Edited by kimik

I'm going all in because of the 50 % off bundle through DCBS. I'm sure most I won't stay on but the same thing happened with Rebirth. We will see. I ordered all the Generations one shots. They just need to get back to telling good stories and for the love of god no more Line wide events

I just browsed (did not buy) Hulk Generations #1.  It reads like Cho is the main character, and Banner is just the washed up has been.   Don't be fooled.  This is just the latest issue of Totally Awesome Hulk, which ranks in the #115-#120 range (according to Comichron). 

6 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

New week, anybody pick up Generations related stuff?  I passed again.  

I ordered Phoenix (for the pretty Stephanie Hans cover art) but it's coming from DCBS so probably won't receive it until mid-next month. :nyah:

I decided to pass on all the Generations, as they're all one-shots. I will likely pick up the Marvel Legacy one-shot, and then see about buying some of the Legacy books (#1 or legacy numbered) for the titles I regularly read (mostly X-titles).

Interesting observation. Generations Hulk, Phoenix and Wolverine are already going into 2nd printings with Francesco Mattina cover art. I'm guessing the rest of Generations will get similar treatment. Gotta hand it to Marvel, they sure know how to use variants to great effect.

On 8/5/2017 at 4:18 PM, Anfield Fox said:

Axel Alonso is the problem. The sooner he goes the better.

I just logged in to say this ! lol 

I finally read my marvel diamond previews with the solicits for these books. My god... It's like even marvel doesn't know what to do. Some books back to legacy numbering, others not. Some heroes brought back, others not... 

It's a shame. The only 2 marvel books I still pull is Amazing spider-man and All new Wolverine and that's probably going to change. Peter going back to woe is me peter, and i'm sure they will strip laura of the wolverine title and bring logan back...

The only thing I can see that is gonna save marvel is a "New 52" esc relaunch and promise to buyers that they won't go back on it.  They have totally basterdized my asm run. in between 700 and now 789 I have what 3 different volumes of spidey comics? i'm done. I used to love the x-men but that whole franchise has been so butchered in the past 4 years I just don't care anymore.

I think it's time for some new blood at marvel. Time to show Axl and Joe the door.  Maybe put Joseph Loeb in charge,  Hell, let some of the talent take the reigns! I'd love to see a marvel run by Dan Slott! 

On 8/3/2017 at 7:29 PM, aerischan said:

They did but the problem is Marvel expects the new crowd to buy the entire line up like some of the old guard do by forcing them into events and crossovers.

Newsflash Marvel: Most millennials have student loans and can't afford to devote $20-100 per month for 3-6 months for whatever event or crossover you may have going on.

Yea, they just dl it illegally on the university internet. Problem solved.

On 8/12/2017 at 0:56 AM, aerischan said:

Interesting observation. Generations Hulk, Phoenix and Wolverine are already going into 2nd printings with Francesco Mattina cover art. I'm guessing the rest of Generations will get similar treatment. Gotta hand it to Marvel, they sure know how to use variants to great effect.

On 8/3/2017 at 7:38 PM, aerischan said:

This pretty much the Law of Diminishing Returns writ large. 

Typical Marvel these days.  They jump into telling a new story before finishing these heavily promoted events/crossovers and you're left with nothing but confused readers.  The recent Secret Wars wasn't finished before they started new issues that referred to events in Secret Wars that readers didn't even know about because the book was extended and delayed.  They just did it again with Secret Empire, which was also extended, thus delaying the ending of the story which just helped explain the Generations titles:  

Spoiler

According to Secret Empire #10, the Generations titles are a result of Kobik (the living Cosmic Cube) giving a gift to certain heroes and allowing them to travel back and meet their predecessors)

On 7/23/2017 at 7:17 PM, Mercury Man said:

I'll be saving some money, I don't want to bother with Generations.

It has taken everything in my power to hand over money to Nick Spencer, and his Cap Hydra stuff (I can't wait till this is over).   Maybe I can take the money I save each month, and go out and by some Silver Age I am missing. 

I still have Daredevil.  They have yet to 'update' him.  I guess being blind is enough.  

didnt they also pair him with an illegal alien sidekick?