• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MARVEL GENERATIONS: A new beginning, or finally the end of Marvel
1 1

83 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

You had me till you got there. I don't see the justification for that. She can be more then relevant, but bringing her to that level would require more character depth, storyline and involvement in the entire MU which she isn't currently. All that said she may be after the movie appearances. 

Oh, I was as surprised as anybody when I read this...

So, just who is the most powerful hero in the Marvel Cinematic Universe? Is it the Hulk? Or maybe Thor? Well, how about neither? In an interview with Vulture, Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige name dropped another hero as the universe’s most powerful–Carol Danvers, aka Captain Marvel, soon to be portrayed by Oscar winning actress Brie Larson. Here’s what Feige had to say about Captain Marvel being the MCU’s strongest player;

“All of the Marvel characters have flaws to them, all of them have a deep humanity to them. With Captain Marvel, she is as powerful a character as we’ve ever put in a movie. Her powers are off the charts, and when she’s introduced, she will be by far the strongest character we’ve ever had. It’s important, then, to counterbalance that with someone who feels real. She needs to have a humanity to tap into, and Brie can do that.”

16 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:
20 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

That's an unfair comparison.  Amazing Spiderman will beat almost any other book...not just Spiderman (Miles).

Everybody agrees Marvel (and comics in general) went overboard with all the diversity/gender equality characters and they need to undo a lot of it.

Having said that, some of it is actually needed to keep growing.  Miles Morales is a great character, X-23 is pretty awesome, and making Ms. Marvel the most powerful hero in the MCU is a step in the right direction.

You had me till you got there. I don't see the justification for that. She can be more then relevant, but bringing her to that level would require more character depth, storyline and involvement in the entire MU which she isn't currently. All that said she may be after the movie appearances. 

yah, I'm not really about her.  I liked her story when she first became captain marvel, but lost interest after that.  She's ubiquitous now like deadpool or wolvie was, but my guess is that she doesn't automatically sell extra comics on random titles the way those two do.

5 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

Why the Marvel Cinematic Universe resembles nothing of their print Universe right now is plain stupidity.  It defies the logic of Marketing and Sales really.   Your movies are doing Billions of dollars.     A kid decides to check out a comic book store after he sees Captain America Civil War, and the comic books couldn't be farther from the movies in characters, tone, continuity etc.   Now granted they were not going to gain hundreds of thousands of new readers from the movies. But every little bit helps. 

Yeah, I've got an issue with this as well.  People love these characters and stories.  However, if they tried a comic of the same title, they'd likely find a character that doesn't resemble what they expect at all, and they'd be confused as hell in the middle of a multi issue arc or crossover.

The other problem is this: the newsstand venue for sales has pretty much disappeared.  For the product to sell, it actually has to be seen.

On 7/24/2017 at 2:41 PM, revat said:

the new kid Nova should literally have been a kids title called Kid Nova, and should not have replaced Rich Rider Nova.  They could have teamed them up even, and had Kid Nova groomed like a Green Lantern or something.

I agree with you, but I just wanted to say that the new book is basically this exact concept, and I think it's one of the best books being put out by Marvel right now. Seriously 10/10, wonderful art, writing, and book. This is a page from #2 that sort of gives you the flavor of the book if you were interested:

1 hour ago, AMightyEsquilax said:

I agree with you, but I just wanted to say that the new book is basically this exact concept, and I think it's one of the best books being put out by Marvel right now. Seriously 10/10, wonderful art, writing, and book. This is a page from #2 that sort of gives you the flavor of the book if you were interested:

I agree, I've read it, and while I doubt I'm the target audience, I've found it pretty good reading, thought I don't think I'm quite as high on the art as you (its fine, but I'm not wowed).  I just don't know if Richard Rider had to be sacrificed for him.  they could even call the both 'Nova' similar to Green Lantern, but keep both and have different book title names.  Like Thor and 'Unworthy Thor', which is by far my favorite of the diversity replacement/original character combos.

Edited by revat

1 minute ago, revat said:

I agree, I've read it, and while I doubt I'm the target audience, I've found it pretty good reading.  I just don't know if Richard Rider had to be sacrificed for him.  they could even call the both 'Nova' similar to Green Lantern, but keep both and have different title names.  Like Thor and 'Unworthy Thor', which is by far my favorite of the diversity replacement/original character combos.

Oh, for sure, Rich will always be the Nova of my heart, and I think his death was a pretty serious misstep in the setting up of Marvel Cosmic post Annihilation. He was just becoming a major player in his own right when they killed him, and that just felt so silly. I was just trying to make sure that a fellow Nova fan wasn't missing out on the current book on principle, because his return has been pretty good in my own estimation. While I wish Rich had his own book, I'll take him pretty much anywhere I can get him, and I can't say I'm not enjoying the buddy book mentor/protege relationship they're trying to set up now.

Just now, AMightyEsquilax said:

Oh, for sure, Rich will always be the Nova of my heart, and I think his death was a pretty serious misstep in the setting up of Marvel Cosmic post Annihilation. He was just becoming a major player in his own right when they killed him, and that just felt so silly. I was just trying to make sure that a fellow Nova fan wasn't missing out on the current book on principle, because his return has been pretty good in my own estimation. While I wish Rich had his own book, I'll take him pretty much anywhere I can get him, and I can't say I'm not enjoying the buddy book mentor/protege relationship they're trying to set up now.

I do also think that while Nova was getting pretty rad post annihilation, there's still a reasonable chance no one was reading those comics, and that applies to a LOT of these titles that got diversity replacements (I'm looking at YOU Captain America and Hulk!).

If you're looking at the numbers and they're down year over year and your job depends on it, you're going to be fired in 2-3 years if things keep going the way they're going.  So you try something dramatic, like gambling on drafting a first round QB when you're a football GM.  Maybe he'll be a bust, but my current QB is good but getting older every year, we might as well try to hit some home runs.  It might have worked better to ease the team though, but I might not have time before I get fired.

Contrary to some opinion, Marvel is clearly in no danger of "dying" - their brands have never been more widely known or identifiable... too bad for the comics line that all of the success is happening elsewhere, but as long as those movie creators keep dipping into modern work to pad out their films it'll have that going for it if nothing else I guess.

Having said that - yeah I have no interest in anything that they're currently doing. I too keep a Marvel Unlimited subscription, but to be honest, I might not renew it this time around as I haven't read anything on it in six months.

Ok, I was trying to explain the Legacy/Generations/whatever thing to a friend last night who used to be a big comic guy, but who hasn't been in touch with the medium for several years. I also haven't kept up with Marvel for years. My understanding is that this isn't really a reboot or re-do like Crisis/new 52, etc., but is more like a soft reboot where they're returning to legacy characters and numbering, bringing back the original characters or whatever. Am I wrong?

3 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Ok, I was trying to explain the Legacy/Generations/whatever thing to a friend last night who used to be a big comic guy, but who hasn't been in touch with the medium for several years. I also haven't kept up with Marvel for years. My understanding is that this isn't really a reboot or re-do like Crisis/new 52, etc., but is more like a soft reboot where they're returning to legacy characters and numbering, bringing back the original characters or whatever. Am I wrong?

It still seems to me like they are forcing the Generations characters (not the mainstays) down our throats.  Almost like, 'Well the old guard heroes say it's ok they are being replaced in this Universe, so you need to be ok with it'.   I don't have the plot or storyline info, but that is the rumbling I heard.  It is almost as if they are making us accept this, previous poor sales be damned.   Then they can blame us again for not buying it.    

Until The Invisible Woman gets a sex change---Don't Make Mine Marvel (I mean fair is fair right?) 

Hmm, interesting. Well, I don't really care one way or another about which characters they're using, old or new, I'm just curious about the actual storyline. Strange that there's not more information out there. I assumed that it all tied into the Legacy renumbering and stuff. 

I dropped my Marvel reading a few years ago, but picked it back up earlier this year during the "ResurreXion" push, starting with X-Men Gold & Blue. Over the past few months, I've picked up Venom (starting at 150, enjoying it, especially as it remains outside of the Secret Empire cross-over), Edge of Venomverse (which has honestly been pretty terrible, just finished issue 3 and dropping it, might try Venomverse #1 in a month...), Spectacular Spider-man 1, and just this past week Astonishing X-Men 1 (which I liked)... I didn't pick up any of the other X titles (Cable, Jean Grey, Iceman, or Weapon X, though I've heard the latter's been pretty good), or any of the Secret Empire books.

From what I've read on CBR / Bleeding Cool etc., I'm probably not going to pick up any of the Generations one-shots...

From a Bleeding Cool article a few weeks ago:

Spoiler

"The bridge into Marvel Legacy begins this August! In a flash, the Marvel heroes are offered a gift: to stand shoulder to shoulder with those who came before them, free from the burdens of past, present and future – where time has no meaning. Within the Vanishing Point, through the course of these action-packed adventures, our heroes will discover what is needed to usher in the future of the Marvel Universe. This August, prepare for Marvel’s GENERATIONS! This epic 10-issue series brings together iconic and present-day heroes such as Laura Kinney and Logan, Amadeus Cho and Bruce Banner, Clint Barton and Kate Bishop, and many more of your favorite characters. The stories of GENERATIONS begin at the Vanishing Point, and these epic tales offer fans a direct bridge and prelude into the senses-shattering Marvel Legacy, as the challenges and revelations of GENERATIONS will alter the destinies of our heroes moving forward in a dramatic fashion! These heroic journeys all launch from the same point: the Vanishing Point! Coming to comic shops this August! The future of the Marvel Universe is coming – this is GENERATIONS!"

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07/07/marvel-generations-secret-empire-spoilers/

On 7/25/2017 at 5:11 PM, Mercury Man said:

Why the Marvel Cinematic Universe resembles nothing of their print Universe right now is plain stupidity.  It defies the logic of Marketing and Sales really.   Your movies are doing Billions of dollars.     A kid decides to check out a comic book store after he sees Captain America Civil War, and the comic books couldn't be farther from the movies in characters, tone, continuity etc.   Now granted they were not going to gain hundreds of thousands of new readers from the movies. But every little bit helps. 

Great comment. It really does make zero sense. 

4 hours ago, october said:

Great comment. It really does make zero sense. 

Actually, they should just have a separate line that follows the movie universe - how about Ultimate? There you go, done. Now innovate and tell good stories in the standard comic universe that isn't tied down or hedged in by what happens on the big or small screens... oops, they can't handle that part. 

8 hours ago, CKinTO said:

I dropped my Marvel reading a few years ago, but picked it back up earlier this year during the "ResurreXion" push, starting with X-Men Gold & Blue. Over the past few months, I've picked up Venom (starting at 150, enjoying it, especially as it remains outside of the Secret Empire cross-over), Edge of Venomverse (which has honestly been pretty terrible, just finished issue 3 and dropping it, might try Venomverse #1 in a month...), Spectacular Spider-man 1, and just this past week Astonishing X-Men 1 (which I liked)... I didn't pick up any of the other X titles (Cable, Jean Grey, Iceman, or Weapon X, though I've heard the latter's been pretty good), or any of the Secret Empire books.

From what I've read on CBR / Bleeding Cool etc., I'm probably not going to pick up any of the Generations one-shots...

From a Bleeding Cool article a few weeks ago:

Reveal hidden contents

"The bridge into Marvel Legacy begins this August! In a flash, the Marvel heroes are offered a gift: to stand shoulder to shoulder with those who came before them, free from the burdens of past, present and future – where time has no meaning. Within the Vanishing Point, through the course of these action-packed adventures, our heroes will discover what is needed to usher in the future of the Marvel Universe. This August, prepare for Marvel’s GENERATIONS! This epic 10-issue series brings together iconic and present-day heroes such as Laura Kinney and Logan, Amadeus Cho and Bruce Banner, Clint Barton and Kate Bishop, and many more of your favorite characters. The stories of GENERATIONS begin at the Vanishing Point, and these epic tales offer fans a direct bridge and prelude into the senses-shattering Marvel Legacy, as the challenges and revelations of GENERATIONS will alter the destinies of our heroes moving forward in a dramatic fashion! These heroic journeys all launch from the same point: the Vanishing Point! Coming to comic shops this August! The future of the Marvel Universe is coming – this is GENERATIONS!"

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07/07/marvel-generations-secret-empire-spoilers/

I can't stand the anticipation of how much money I will be saving, and what Silver Age books I will be getting instead this year. 

2 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

Actually, they should just have a separate line that follows the movie universe - how about Ultimate? There you go, done. Now innovate and tell good stories in the standard comic universe that isn't tied down or hedged in by what happens on the big or small screens... oops, they can't handle that part. 

They tried that with the Avengers Assemble comic when the first Avengers movie came out since the "movie lineup" didn't resemble anything in any of the comics at the time.  I think there used to be more of an effort to have the books jive with the movie story lines, like organic web-shooters, but that didn't take in either medium & the movie line up Avengers comic didn't run for very long. 

Cover_of_Avengers_Assemble_1.jpg

2 hours ago, bababooey said:

They tried that with the Avengers Assemble comic when the first Avengers movie came out since the "movie lineup" didn't resemble anything in any of the comics at the time.  I think there used to be more of an effort to have the books jive with the movie story lines, like organic web-shooters, but that didn't take in either medium & the movie line up Avengers comic didn't run for very long. 

Cover_of_Avengers_Assemble_1.jpg

That is basically why, if they want movie content in the comics, they need to split it up. The boundaries created by the movie plots and / or team membership are at least one constraint too many. The writers need more freedom to tell worthwhile stories... well, at least you'd think so, but you can't tell that by what is currently going on.

Inquiring minds want to know-  Anybody pick up the Hulk Generations?  I didn't.  Anybody read it?  

I only purchased 1 Marvel Comic this week, and it was a 50+ year old reprint of Avengers #4 (: