• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,106 posts in this topic

Neat stuff Bob. Thanks to Yellow Kid I started reading Little Orphan Annie reprints over the last few years and was happy to have picked this up last night on EBay for a very reasonable price. Earliest book in the collection when it arrives. Annie pre-dated Betty by a bit but they both lasted a long time and still have legs!

image.png.c81c0e6aeef62c56e9ba7fd03fc68363.png

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

Those Cupples and Leon books are great and so cheap. Fun reads. Don’t have a picture handy but the is one called Smitty at the Ball Game. It features Walter “Big Train” Johnson, Babe Ruth and other famous ball players. Well worth picking up if you can find a copy.

Annie has stumbled through the years pretty well but nothing like Miss Boop. She is probably more popular now than ever. 

And as far as Annie’s legs? Look like tree stumps to me. No match for Betty’s beautiful gams. :banana:

Had a busy show today. I will try and take some pics tomorrow morning and will post them as soon as I can.

In the meantime, the promoter posted a cool video on Instagram. His name is   the_glendale_show.  Check it out. Some awsome stuff including comics. 

Bob, thanks for the tip on this show. This hasn't been on my radar but with San Diego no longer being a fun venue I keep looking for other events like this. I had a ball heading in for a little over an hour and perusing the variety of material on hand. Lots of fun stuff. I spotted some interesting items I don't collect and it took a lot of will power to say no and keep focused. Prices seem cheap by comparison to the comics shows. Supply and demand I guess on this stuff. Here's some pictures of the show.

They had a stage with dealers on it so I got a shot of the room from up there. Lots of activity.

tn_GlendaleShow1.thumb.jpg.a10a24f6dcfd65c8c74a1fcb903c4984.jpg

This was a typical set up; lots of fun Americana. Pretty broad date range from the late 1800's to the seventies on material.

tn_GlendaleShow2.thumb.jpg.7f151c7568c9f23a3e5f0c3f28d1e756.jpg

I like BLB's and this guy had a nice stash but no Disney's which is what I look for. Mickey Mouse BLB's are more fun than Duck BLB's; must be the Gottfredson adaptations.The Seduction of the Innocent book was marked as a first edition for $250 as I recall. And those Superman valentines are Super Fun!

tn_GlendaleShow3.thumb.jpg.564fb638795522322e62b8c9ed986702.jpg

Here's something I had never seen before and as a duck collector I would have liked to have it; but for $450. the Scrooge in me said NO!

tn_GlendaleShow4.thumb.jpg.134926661f5c6a38e6b20ab5c7640784.jpg

I came away with some very reasonable pickups for reading. A nice Four Color for $7 and a copy of Superman 25 missing the cover, first three wraps and one inside page. But for $20. I thought it would be a fun reader copy with early Siegel and Shuster artwork.

tn_GlendaleShow5.thumb.jpg.8b03dbbd3ce9f901849e217af8a158b2.jpg

All in all a fun morning of looking at a lot of cool stuff. Things I looked at and considered buying included a nice collection of Currier and Ives prints in book form, a number of 1960's Marklin HO trains in the box, a variety of car and airplane plastic models of cars from the sixties, numerous pulps (not too many of them, more comics than pulps) and a Carl Barks signed record album of the Three Caballeros. Dealers also were quite flexible on prices with lots of deep discounting from what i heard. This show reminded me a lot of the flea market of my youth back east. Good stuff!

Hey 50, good to see you on Saturday! Glad you could make it and enjoyed it. It really is a wonderful show if for nothing else to wander around and see the best of American Pop culture. The dealers work very hard for this one and save the best of the best of their stuff for it. You just never know what can turn up here...

This is my friend Randy's booth. He's the guy in the middle back with the dark green shirt and cap. I've known him over 20 years. This guy lives and breathes junk. He is out literally everywhere hunting down cool items. He personally collects old advertising stuff. Has a full size Big Boy (from in front of the restraunt) in his living room. Even a life size Jolly Green Giant in his bathroom! Killer stuff all over his house. His prices were probably the best in the room.

randy.jpg

My buddy Johnny "Kookie" Kousakis. A LONG time dealer I've known from the earliest SDCC days. Had a comic shop in OC for years. You should have asked for Disney BLBs. I know he had a few high grade ones in his booth. He also brought a MASSIVE collection of mostly war and avaition pulps including publisher bound volumes. I bound a few sweet Friction House Wings issues from him. He's a regular veteran flea market shopper with a great eye as well.

johnny.jpg

I say it every time and this time I really mean it. I am truly “junk drunk” today. Four days of buying every thing collectible. 

I used to do a 3 table booth but down sized to just one 8 foot table. I find if I pick what I bring carefully, I do very well. Just as well as 3 tables with 1/3rd the work. Got a pretty good idea of what people want here. There is stiff competition in there. People bring their best high quality (and price) eye candy. I do too but a little less of that but more $10-$100 stuff for the little guys and casual buyers. People have very little problem parting with $20 and $50 bills in there. At the end of the show it really adds up and I go home without a lot of stuff. 4 or 5 bigger sales are the ones that make your day but the smaller sales all day long add up fast.

My pal Rusty and next table neighbor, brought a great array of stuff and this greeted me when I rolled my cart in!

42429543-4C4C-4A2A-8AB8-D4DD818D7C41.jpeg

Edited by Robot Man

This is Willie’s booth. We all can’t wait to see what he brings. He is a movie prop guy with deep pockets and high prices. His passion is also comics although he rarely brings any here but some sweet superhero toys along with killer advertising and hot rod car items.

0D020E3E-163E-4E06-AE84-338323B056E4.jpeg

2CB3E33E-D901-4F5C-823B-95FEA585590B.jpeg

8CCB7CB9-3CFC-44A6-93DE-85A93E5D0555.jpeg

3BBD5A2A-76AF-4735-AE36-3D823EE5144B.jpeg

Had a great show. This is what heaven must be like. Hanging with your buddies, swapping stories, checking out cool stuff and coming home with sore feet and pockets full of cash.

I bought well too.  Got some old comics, pulps, a few very pretty blbs as well as a cool early pressed steel gum machine, a couple nice Hartland plastic Baseball guys, and a few pinbacks. Heck, I don’t even remember as it’s all still packed and I’m too tired to care!

Edited by Robot Man