• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Everett Raymond Kinstler
4 4

155 posts in this topic

On 7/29/2017 at 10:34 AM, Scrooge said:

Captain Steve Savage 2 - IFC.jpg

Flipping through the book though I rediscovered that the image and signature style above were inspired to Kinstler by Howard Chandler Christy's painting of Eddie Rickenbacker and Christy's signature -

Eddie Rickenbacker by Howard Christy as imitated by Kinstler later.jpg

Christy Signature Imitated by Kinstler.jpg

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Kinstler by chance at the Hispanic Society of America Museum in January, 2016.  The museum is located in upper Manhattan.  I brought my daughter there to get extra credit in her Spanish class by viewing the Spanish art and writing a report on what she had observed.  I guess I was sort of berating my daughter to get in gear and start taking notes as we entered the main room.  There he was, Mr. Kinstler, laughing at me (I didn't know who he was at first).  Shame on me!! We started talking and it dawned upon me that he was a great artist. No less a great GA Comic book artist.  He told me that he had been attending that particular museum since the 1950's.  He directed me to a particular room to view an early 1900 Spanish panorama.  We did and my daughter wrote that report and passed the class!  Mr. Kinstler sent me a nice card and his book with a nice message.  A true gentleman!!

IMG_1585.JPG

IMG_1586.JPG

22 minutes ago, Steviehuv66 said:

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Kinstler by chance at the Hispanic Society of America Museum in January, 2016.  The museum is located in upper Manhattan.  I brought my daughter there to get extra credit in her Spanish class by viewing the Spanish art and writing a report on what she had observed.  I guess I was sort of berating my daughter to get in gear and start taking notes as we entered the main room.  There he was, Mr. Kinstler, laughing at me (I didn't know who he was at first).  Shame on me!! We started talking and it dawned upon me that he was a great artist. No less a great GA Comic book artist.  He told me that he had been attending that particular museum since the 1950's.  He directed me to a particular room to view an early 1900 Spanish panorama.  We did and my daughter wrote that report and passed the class!  Mr. Kinstler sent me a nice card and his book with a nice message.  A true gentleman!!

IMG_1585.JPG

IMG_1586.JPG

What a cool story.

6 hours ago, Scrooge said:

Flipping through the book though I rediscovered that the image and signature style above were inspired to Kinstler by Howard Chandler Christy's painting of Eddie Rickenbacker and Christy's signature -

Eddie Rickenbacker by Howard Christy as imitated by Kinstler later.jpg

Christy Signature Imitated by Kinstler.jpg

Fascinating.  Definitely a swipe.  Interesting to see the changes Kinstler made to the original. hm

7 minutes ago, Scrooge said:

To be clear, the book cites Kinstler stating that this painting was his inspiration for that piece so Kinstler himself admits the source in the book.

Ah, ok.  Certainly the way to have done it. 

51 minutes ago, damonwad said:

Here are the inside cover and splash page of Fighting Daniel Boone.

59827133559f1_FightingDanielBoone(insidecover).thumb.JPG.8c48235de8414d2bd321a15644d8701e.JPG

598271654b421_FightingDanielBoone(splashpage).thumb.JPG.867c7b0e1fcee8c9d86e6919651b7a5f.JPG

Great stuff!  I wonder if this thread is going to inflate the value of Kinstler books? :)

11 hours ago, damonwad said:
11 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Great stuff!  I wonder if this thread is going to inflate the value of Kinstler books? :)

??? I hope not. There's still way too much for me to buy.

Yep.  Me, too!